Scared myself.

lozzy21

Mummy to Niamh
Reaction score
Iv just watched babys room on home and health and the woman needed an emergancy section. While mum was getting stiched up the midwife took baby off and bathed and weighed her ect and was away from mum for a good 30 mins.

So my question is if i end up having to have an emergancy section can i request that baby be placed straight on my chest while they stitch me up, unless baby needs resusatation and every thing else wait untill later?

Sorry for such a negative thread but it was so far from ideal of a natural birth where no one touches baby but me and OH, iv gone and scared myself.

this was my fear too hun, at out antenatal class we were told they take baby & dad out the room while mum gets stitched up, I said I wouldn't want this, and they said thats ok, and that yes, you can have skin to skin with baby even with a section as long as everything is ok with baby (but thats the same with any birth)

Thanks hun, feel a bit better now.

I asked for skin to skin and would have got it apart from I was badly positioned on the table. I'm reasonably tall (5ft8) and when they where prepping me for the op they had to reposition me a few times on the table to actually get me to fit (god help a woman who is proper tall!!). This resulted in the screen being placed at abut the same height as my nipples.

So LO was born, handed the the midwife and immediately dangled next to me for a look. She then went to the paediatrician at the resuscitaire in the same room to check she was ok as her HR was 200 just before birth, hence the section. Once they established she was ok they brought her back in just a towel so I could have her skin to skin.....but then we all realised there just wasn't enough room between me and the screen for her, I physically couldn't have held her. At this point there was nothing that could be done as my uterus was open on the table and being stitched up and moving me would have meant moving the sterile field. So LO spent the first 45minutes of her life getting to know her nana.

I had an epidural on transfer as my transfer was due to my baby's high heart rate and I knew where things could be heading and wanted to be in control. Although I was quite firm with them that I would be having skin to skin I over looked the screen placement, and in fairness to the staff at the time they where getting me ready for theatre the emphasis was on getting the baby out safely, not how high up the table I was.

Im 5"9 so that dosent give me much hope :(

At first I thought I read that the midwife took the baby when they were completing the surgery on the mom... as in took took! Thank goodness that didn't happen!

I think if you specify that thats what you want to happen they can position the screen lower so you can hold the baby easily. I read it somewhere Ill try and find it for you xx

https://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6028478.ece

i wasnt able to hold my youngest when he was born coz i had to be in a weird position as the spinal block had started travelling up as well as down and my arms and chest were being frozen which put my heart and lungs at risk too so i was tipped up with my feet lower and propped over onto my right hand side so i couldnt have held him properly.

he was placed in a cot next to me which i was ok about as i got to lie there and stare at him while he stared at me and then i got my cuddles after i had learned his face and he had managed to open his eyes properly lol.

I put that on mine, also put that baby must NEVER be away from either myself or Robin :)

I guess it all depends on what the hospitals policies would be. If you want you could request it and see how it goes (if this happens, of course). There are plenty of stories of skin to skin contact with the mother straight after the c-section. Another option (well add on to that) is a maternally assisted cesarean. There was a hospital in my area that trialled the mother being the first person to touch her baby by being the one to bring her out. I can't find the link but it was such a sweet story. They were able to lay there together while everything was being stitched back up and went to recovery together. They were unseparated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->