scared of choking

StranjeGirl

First time mommy!
Reaction score
How do you go from pureed to lumps? We started dd a couple months ago, but she took to it VERY slowly. She would gag on the tiniest thing. She's been loving her food for the past 3 weeks now, but how do I know when she is ready to chew? I feel scared that she will choke. She just turned 8 months.

I think you just have to trust her and also give her as much control over food as possible (personally, I would allow her to self-feed rather than be spoon fed). We aren't made to choke on our food and it rarely happens. If you think about it, you never hear of a baby monkey or a baby cow choking on food. It's just not really meant to happen. We're designed to be able to prevent choking if given control over what we eat and how. We all learn to eat just fine and most of us never choke. So part of it really is just trust. And also just letting her guide you and have as much control as possible. That might mean just really watching for signs that she's happy with a food she's eating or if you've given her too much or are doing it too quickly or if she's too tired right now. That also might just mean letting her feed herself while you sit back and trust that she can do it. The more control she has over what goes in her mouth and how she moves things around the better. Every baby is different but we did baby-led weaning and my daughter had nothing but finger foods (toast, roasted vegetables, scrambled eggs, rice cakes, etc.) from 6 months. She never choked once. I think letting her take the lead and have control really helped. So I'd just do it. Let her try, see how she does, and trust she'll let you know if it's okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->