Scared of preterm delivery...

Samo

Reaction score
Things came up in my pregnancy recently (that i posted in 2nd tri) and now after reading into everything, I think it is finally starting to sink in...

Saturday I was having extreme back pains and my friends took me in to see a doctor. I was a centimeter dilated and it's been a whirlwind since then.

I was put on bedrest and I sort of shrugged things off a bit, as i felt fine the following day, especially after so much rest! I've had some follow-up appointments and was told to stay on bed rest and that I will likely have weekly appointments to make sure i do not dilate further etc etc. I was and still am confused on how/why i was dilated in the first place (but i suppose nobody knows at this point!)

I guess I keep telling myself that it's nothing... but now i think...what if it is? Is it really possible to go into preterm labor? :(

They haven't checked my cervix since the weekend (they did not want to stir things up, i was prodded and nudged quite enough!) but is it possible to dilate then the cervix to close shut again??? I keep thinking everything was just a false alarm! But surely, that isn't normal...right?

I am just so confused!!

All I can say is take it easy babe listen to the doctors and do what I'm doing take it week by week. I'm praying she stays in there longer, stay positive :hugs:

not sure if its possible for it to close again but by resting properly and doing exactly what the docs say its possible for it to not dilate any further. I really hope that you make it to term!

Make sure you stay on bedrest and do as the doctors say hun, I know easier said than done. Not sure if it can close again, but if you take their advise hopefully LO will stay in there longer.
Thinking of you hun.
Luv cheryl xxx

can they not pop a stitch in to try and keep it closed?

h x

Yea...my OB put me on bedrest to keep me from dilating further. It really is hard to go from being totally normal without worry, up and about all over the place...to having to sit at home! Hard to convince myself that something is up.

bigbelly, there is a procedure where they can stitch a cervix, but i think it depends how bad your situation is and your doctor's thoughts. My doctor mentioned it and just said that bedrest could accomplish the same thing, pretty much.

i guess like Carley said, i will just have to make it through week by week

I know here they don't do the stitch after X amount of weeks.

I'm praying you make 25 weeks babe :hugs: We can do the count down game together!

I'm praying you make 25 weeks babe :hugs: We can do the count down game together!

:flower: thanks! its so scary to think she can come so soon without notice!

i am just so anxious to see the doctor again and see if my cervix closed up or not. and if it has...will things change? and if it hasnt...i guess i can finally accept i need to be on rest. :help:

aw how scary for you :(
Well I don't know if the cervix can close back up but if you do what the doctors say and stay on bedrest you should be able to make it to term. But if you have dilated a bit more they might suggest a cervical stitch... I forgot what they call it!
I know how scary it is to be normal one day and next be told your baby might come!!! Just don't hesitate to call 911 or go to the hospital if something doesn't seem right to you. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Good luck hope she stays in there a bit more longer for you :hugs: keep us updated!

I don't think it'll close back up....from what I remember when I had similar troubles, they just try and stop you dilating further. Many women carry babies full term but are 1-3 cm dilated from mid way through their pregnancy so hopefully you will be one of those lucky ones....I hope so and will keep my fongers and legs crossed for you babe.

See if you can get a home visit or telephone consultation to ask any questions that are worrying you, worrying won't help you to relax will it?:hugs::hug:

small update, had a visit with the new OB practice i am switching to and i am still dilated. still no clues as to why. they sent me in to get some test done as well (i cant remember the name of it) but it was to check if i was leaking protein or something and to make sure i am in no threat to go into labor sometime in the next couple weeks. that, fortunately, came back negative and so i am home again and still on bedrest.

i think they are having me do ANOTHER ultrasound/trans-vag ultrasound next week. They are still a bit confused why i am dilated but my scan results earlier this week came back saying i was perfectly normal.

i really want to pull my hair out!! it is so confusing, and i am sure my doctors are just as confused! but my mind is at ease to know that i am still dilated after almost a week and even aftr a 2nd opinion, they all agree. So i think i can plant my bottom on the couch knowing i am doing the right thing and i NEED to.

Good luck babe....stay put and rest, please:hug:

Good luck Samo. I will be praying for u and ur baby :hugs:

:hug: Try relax hun and not worry too much, as the stress won't help you! That little one will be just fine. As others have said, plenty of women do dilate up to a few cms early on in pregnancy but carry on to have a healthy full term baby. There's no reason you can't be any different! Just keep those feet up, and we're here if you need a good whinge! :hugs:

:hugs: I am thinking about you, Cheryl! Text me if you need anything that I can help with. Want an Alaska souvenir to cheer you up? :hugs:

Litsen to the doctors and stay positive. Everything will be fine and your pretty and healthy baby girl will be here before you know it (at full term)

I know how scary it is when the doctor says "Bed rest" the first thing you think is early labor (I know I did) and I know how hard to be on bed rest is, all I can say is take as easy as you can, do the bed rest and I hope you feel better soon, let me know if you need anything,send me a PM :hugs:

Thanks ladies :).

mumm2many - i always think, if it happens, i know there is always a chance! just seeing your little girl overcome the obstacles, i know anything is possible. im glad i am atleast past the 24 week mark!

Sarah - thanks chick! You can send me some snow from Alaska! :lol: i'd like a nice white winter this year hehehe. I'll definitely txt you if anything comes up!

Thanks faith_may, i know you were on bedrest a while. Im doing better with keeping sane! although it is hard not to cook, as DH isn't the best. to be honest he's botched up everything he's tried cooking so far :blush: or i may be a tough critic (poor man!)

Thanks faith_may, i know you were on bedrest a while. Im doing better with keeping sane! although it is hard not to cook, as DH isn't the best. to be honest he's botched up everything he's tried cooking so far :blush: or i may be a tough critic (poor man!)

I know the feeling, if it wasn't because my mom comes everyday I would have to let DH cook,LOL. Now that I'm off bed rest I cook and let everything for DH to cook in the night. Have you thought about doing that? When I was on bed rest my mom came every day and she helped me around the house and also with the cooking, before leaving she would let everything ready for my DH to finish dinner, even now I do the same, I still need to rest and take it easy so my mom keeps coming and helps me with the house and I make sure DH has everthing ready to cook on the night, so I can rest.
Make sure your DH only has to finish dinner and not doing much (LOL)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->