Scared to bring them home

H

heyyady

My girls are doing really well, so well in fact that today the "H" word was used several times! HOME!!! But I'm TERRIFIED of bringing them home! At the NICU they have monitors and bells and alarms and NURSES to keep them safe and alive- at home it's just me and Hubby. About a million "what ifs" run through my head every waking moment. Logically, I know they won't send them until they are ready- but that won't stop me from not sleeping so I can watch them and make sure they are breathing! All of this made all the more scary by the fact we have a friend who's daughter died of SIDS, and she was a healthy term baby- How did you deal? Please give me any tips you have on how to just breathe, and know that they will too.

I bought an angel care monitor & that is the reaon I sleep at nights! It's great. I think every mummy goes through this and it's scary bringing such a tiny baby home but honestly after a few weeks you will find yourself fussing less and less!

I agree completely. My angelcare monitor is the only reason that I got any sleep at all during the first few months - and even now.

I still got up to check that it was working at least a few times at night at first but it does offer some peace of mind.

It is a scary time and I understand how the terrible experience of your friend would have made you even more anxious but try to focus on all the positive aspects of bringing your babies home. As you say, the unit wouldn't release them unless they were thriving and think of how wonderful it will be to have them all to yourself. x

I could have written your post 2 months ago lol! I didnt buy a monitor, simply because i wanted to fight my fears and not become dependant on it for peace of mind. The first week was hell, i got no sleep at all and cried all the time from stress overload. I have been making progress every day, now i sleep when she sleeps and i can leave her in her cot to take a shower lol! Take it one day at atime and try to rationalise your fears.

I have the same fears. My twins will be coming home in a few weeks after 4 months in the hospital. I have medical training and even still i'm terrified mostly because I have two to keep an eye on and won't really have anyone else around to help out for the first 2 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->