Scared to move in the bath?

captainj1

Mum of two
Reaction score
My LO really doesn't like bath time. Every time he tries to move or reaches for something, he panics that he going to slip and cries, and puts his arms out to be lifted out. We have plenty of toys and ducks etc in the bath and I've tried getting in there with him but then he just wants to be held all the time.

We have a bath mat with colourful sea creature on it, which is supposed to make it not slippy.

Anyone got any ideas as to what else I can do to help build his confidence? He doesn't like the bath as a result of this and we have to work really hard on entertaining him for long enough to get him clean (and to get his hair washed every few days, which he also hates and screams through):shrug:

my son is like this as soon as he goes in the bath he panics and reaches to be lifted, i just keep talkin to him gently and splashin water on him talkin to him the hole time with one hand under his arm, have u got a bath seat? i put zak into his and after about 1 minute he realises mummys here and nothings goin to happen and plays and splashed away, xxx

I was goin to suggest trying a swim ring around his belly, but a seat might be better. Depending how much mobility you want him to have! Having something hugging him might make him feel a bit more secure.

Tom went through a stage round about 13 months of suddenly being scared of being in the bath - we went for one of us going in the bath with him and holding him until he was more confident again - so for about 3 months I think.

Alternatively you could try a different bath mat - we got a clear stone effect one from Tescos and it is much, much stickier than the colourful kids ones you can get from Mothercare etc. Tom can't move far at all when sat on it and no danger of slipping.

Thanks girls. I never thought about a bath seat, didn't realise you could get them other than for newborns so will google them now.

I got in with him tonight and he sat I my lap and was a bit better. Unfortunately though most nights I'm not back from work in time to help so DH has to do bath and bedtime on his own so can't really get in with him...

Thanks for all the advice. A couple of months ago he would cling on like a limpet and climb up us when we were trying to put him in the bath; at least now he let's us out him in before he starts crying...!

Have you tried just putting him in the shower with you? Or getting a shower head that the sprayer drops down and using that??

My DD was just like this for about 2 months! She kept saying "It's wobbly Mummy". She was hysterical about bathing and I was at my wits end. I tried EVERYTHING! In the end the only thing that worked was this...

We bought a new memory foam mat that stretched the entire length of the bath and we let her play on it in the livingroom for a bit before it went in the bath. It's very soft and cosy.

I then filled the bath with LOADS of bubble bath and little water. I told her she could make custard pies with the foam and throw them at Mummy like Mr Tumble. We piled foam onto her sponge and she through it in my face - over and over again. She thought it was great fun and for the first time in ages she enjoyed her bath (apart from the hair washing which is a whole other story).

Hope this is helpful. Good luck. It will pass, eventually. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->