school dinner

Don't get me started on school dinners! DS is super fussy, so is usually starving when I pick him up. There's always some element of the meal he likes though. So for instance if it was lasagne and he didn't like it he would just eat what came with it e.g. potato wedges, and the dessert. Plus he drinks his milk in the morning. I'm refusing to send packed lunch when there's perfectly good food provided.

I would send a packed lunch in with them. The fact that they have a 'free' meal at school is beside the point for me. It's something that's only just started so if they hadn't of brought it in we'd of been paying to make the packed lunch anyway.

We are trying to work out what E will or won't eat at school at the moment. She does have food issues so we may end up sending her a packed lunch in 2 out of 3 days a week when we know it's going to be something she can't eat.

While I do agree to some extent that children should be grateful they are having a meal etc etc, to me it depends on why they are being 'fussy'. My son pretty much eats everything. If he had school meals and came home saying he didn't want the meal on certain days (and I know it was something he does eat) I'd say tough and wouldn't send a packed lunch in for him. However with E it's different-if she doesn't eat at lunch she won't eat at dinner so she needs to have a meal at lunchtime and it doesn't bother me that I'm paying for it.
2 meals every other week isn't that much. For us we have the food in anyway so it's not a big deal.

My son is picky, so one of the reasons I have chosen to do free school meals is because I hope it opens him up to new foods, which he is most likely to try as his friends are also eating it. He's in reception, and since the start of term I have seen a difference in his eating habits at home (he tried mussels last week, despite being disgusted by them any other time).

His teacher the other day though did say that he didn't eat any dinner, it was roast... he hates gravy, so wouldn't eat it. So I've changed that day to jacket, but if he doesn't eat that then I prob won't sub with packed lunch as I know he'll be eating the pudding/yoghurt, so won't be going totally hungry.

This!

Jacob is very fussy and so I opted for the free school meals in the hope it would broaden his horizon a little! Saying that, if he comes home starving saying he really didn't eat anything on his plate on that day I would send him in with a packed lunch if there wasn't an alternative hot lunch that he liked.

See all of mine get free school dinners cos we're on benefits.

We've decided we're definitely going to send Jason with a packed lunch. The jury is still out on Lydia. I think she should get a packed lunch, but DH thinks that's ridiculous because she used to eat the jacket potatoes just fine for the past 4 years.

It could just be that the ones the school serve are disgusting, rather than her being picky about it... I've seen primary schools receive deliveries of pre-peeled potatoes lol, school dinners are renowned for being inedible anyway!

For years I thought I hated roast potatoes because of school dinners :(

i would not send a packed lunch! theres stuff on my lo's menu he would turn his nose up to at home but happily eats it at school. my lo's school has 2 choices (a veggie and non veggie option) then a selection of sarnies etc.

I agree maybe its the way the school prepare it that alters the taste? I hate Mac and Cheese and id be really upset if i was forced to eat it. Id send a packed lunch.

I'm wondering whether your school has a school dinner taster day for parents. My son's school had one, so you could try the food and see whether your children are being unreasonnable or not. If they don't have such a day, you could ask them to organise one.

I'd send a packed lunch. I don't particularly like the food options available to me at work so I bring in my own food, that's not being picky it's knowing what I do and don't like to eat. I wouldn't let myself go without lunch because of it and I wouldn't let Lucas.

Daisy is in Reception and has a packed lunch everyday. She is a fussy eater and I would hate to think she was hungry or upset at lunchtimes so I feel happier knowing she has had her sandwiches.

ide let my daughter go hungry... she cant be that hungry if she wont eat it..

jacked potato is just like mash, lasagne is just like spag bowl.

update : I've switched all 3 of them to packed lunches for lasagne day. Alex as well, as it seems he's only been eating plain jackets as he hates the toppings. A plain dry jacket for a lunch is kind of naff if you ask me.

Today is their first packed lunch day. All three of them were LUDICROUSLY excited about having packet lunches today. I've never seen three people more excited about packed lunch in my life lol.

Thanks all for the advice. A lot of mixed opinions but I think we've done the right thing. It's only once a fortnight after all.

x

As long as you find what works for you and your kids that's all that matters. Glad you found a solution.

I love that they are excited about having a packed lunch. A good compromise I think. I may have to send Esther in with one on fish cake day as she just won't eat them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->