Schools reopening

I’m very worried about my eldest (year 2) and middle child (Reception) catching Covid. Being on maternity leave (10 month old too), I’ve kept them away from bugs and felt they’ve been safe. Now I’m hearing about kids going off with colds etc and it’s sending my anxiety crazy. I go back to work in 2 months so I can’t really do anything about it.. I’m just assuming they’ll catch it at some point as there’s 30 kids on each of their classes.. 60 in the reception bubble as the room is shared between 2 classes.

part of me thinks at least we’ll get it over with and can stop worrying, but part of me is panicking that we could be one of those unlucky families who get seriously ill... or we could pass it to vulnerable people.

Babybump I don't think I would mind if everyone knew if my child had it. It isn't as if that means my boys or I did something wrong. I cannot imagine anyone would see it as a stigma?

It is so common, there shouldn't be any stigma attached to it. :hugs:

The schools are supposed to know if your child has it or is showing symptoms, They have to let the health department know ,they’ll notify families that there was a positive case but they will not mention names . They’ll do that just to avoid an outbreak. Like my kids couldn’t go to school when I had it because they had been in contact with me so they had to quarantine as well . :)<3 I feel you , being worried and panicking that they’ll catch it. It’s pretty scary but if you and your family are doing their best at washing and disinfecting you should be okay.:hug:

How possible is it that out of a class of 30 children only one would show symptoms ?

I’m sorry but surely this virus doesn’t work like that and other children have shown symptoms and where off before DD (some kids went off after DD too ) and their parents haven’t infromed school. School have said no one else has reported symptoms this whole time apart from me.

Am angry and frustrated that some kids may be off sick with it and not reported it to school or even get tested . How are we meant to send our kids to school with a system like this is place? .

Our school had good things in place which made me confident but it seems they are not following their own rules and it’s only been a week back

How are your schools trying to control the virus?

Last edited:
Well the symptoms can sometimes go unnoticed. I have heard of a number of people who were tested and obviously had had it but never knew. And what should you do when your kid has a runny nose? Get them tested every time? Lots of kids have runny noses when they go back to school after a long break. And the guidelines say, strong heavy cough, high fever and loss of taste/smell. If they have none of those symptoms they can still have the virus.

I wouldn’t get mine tested for a runny nose either so I know where you are coming from there, I’d only go for official symptoms, that’s not one? It’s gonna be so hard with the kids as like you say they do get all kinds of bugs !

I know anyone can have no symptoms I’m just suprised that in a class of 30 kids there’s been only one with symptoms and tested positive.

it is very worrying, I agree. :( Seems people can be carriers and never know and that really is the danger of it all.
How is your daughter today? I hope she isn't too unwell?

Sorry Angel I just re read my post from this morning hopefully it never came across rude !

She seems much better thank you . I think she’s over it now hopefully and she will have gained some kind of immunity .

Sorry someone asked about symptoms
High temp Stomach pains
Then more as the week went on sore throat , fatigue , loss of apatite . Hope your child is ok!

I wonder why they haven’t made the whole class isolate as surely each bubble that the positive person is in is at risk?? But that the whole class wouldn’t it?? Im totally confused with all the rules now. All I know is that I feel so anxious about it all.

The whole bubble got sent home to isolate for 14 days . Our school is doing year bubbles some are doing class bubbles .

It’s very confusing all the rules.

It really is confusing. I don't think even the schools know what's happening half the time!

Yeah I agree, super confusing! :( But I also think the bubbles are a bit useless as most kids will have siblings in other classes. How does the bubble work then?!
Plus, you should see the scrum at pick up! I always arrive early so that I can avoid the worst of it and I wear a mask but so many parents don't, even though they clearly should!

Hahaha scrum !! Brilliant !

My schools got its head up it’s arse this week we have another 2 confirmed cases and one potential case

I don’t get the whole bubble thing either now you mention it cause if any siblings they then could have infected their own year bubble before being told to isolate with their family.

We have to wear a mask from next week . I usually keep away from everyone anyway.

The poor kids and their education is really going to suffer this year .

Babybump, I hope DD is feeling better. It's so hard when your child is sick, then toss in the fact that it's covid.

Not sure what you decided to do, but I know with my school (I'm a teacher) that people are encouraged to report a positive test but it's not required. And your information will not be released to the school from your test because that violates your hipa or whatever confidentiality rights. When someone (staff in the case since we're DL) is positive or presumed positive, anyone who was in close proximity (less than 6 ft for more than 15m) will receive notification of exposure with no details. But let's be real, people are crafty and gossipy and they will typically figure it out. Especially since your kid will be home for close to two weeks.

On the flip side, I have had many kids come to school on pain killers only to have their fevers come back mid day. I used to get so angry at the parents who did that. And then I became a single working mom with no sick days left and being threatened to lose my job if I kept missing days (my son had a lot of health problems the first year). So yeah. I've sent my son to school sick. Now I get it. It sucks. And then you get into asymptomatic cases. It's a mess.

Bev. Ask any teacher. We have no idea wtf is happening lol. It's a cluster you know what all day every day lol. We're right there with you. Please pass the coffee and wine and chocolate.

As for us, daycare is going well. His ABA super just observed him. She had to sit outside and watch him through a window lol. But hey no complaints here. I'm so glad everyone is being accommodating. Distance Teaching is draining and the kids are burning out, and I try so hard to keep their spirits up and work to a reasonable amount

We did all the necessary things been through track and trace. Informed the school etc. Soon as the letter went out and the kids sent home the whole thing just blew up unnecessarily

There’s now been others , we don’t know the name of one child parents choice. Other the parent has said .

We did all the necessary things and school took care of the rest . Why should any child and family be named if they want to keep it private? Some will chose to name their child and others won’t. Some will choose to tell their child they have it and the ins and outs and others will chose to not tell them. I won’t judge anyone for doing what they feel is in the best interests of their child .

Last edited:
I just don’t know where to go from here with regards to some of the mums I talk to . They know something is up because I’ve not talked in our chat since last week and DD was off before they all got sent home but they haven’t asked me directly.

I obviously don’t want to come straight out with it and still want to keep her name private . People can speculate but I’m not gonna confirm or deny it .

Do you think they would shame you or her for having it?? If so I really wonder at the people where you live! If one of the kids at our school had it and I was chatty with their mums I would commiserate rather than judge and blame.

Oh god no the mums I talk to are very lovely !
Some others I cant say the same!

That’s rough. Honestly, people are ruthless because emotions are running high. You do what’s best. Just say you were busy and remind people there are colds and flus are still a thing. People didn’t stop catching colds just because covid is here. I was sick last week and my test was neg. I was just sick. But you don’t owe anybody an explanation for anything.

or just say you had nothing new to add that hadn’t been said or be passive aggressive and tell them you feel rude gossiping about children because that’s not ok. Jk don’t do that last one ;)

but you have to consider how quickly that info would spread beyond friends. People slip up.

Like you said, every parent has to make the choice that’s right for them :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"