Sciatica - nearly 11 weeks

superfrizbee

Love my princess & prince
Reaction score
I have had Sciatica in both of my kids' pregnancies. I feel it as a stabbing pain in the top of my left bum cheek. It's never been too bad or too persistent, but a couple of times I do remember struggling to walk up the stairs because I get the pain when I bear weight through my left foot. I'm 11 weeks tomorrow and today I have the pain, although I can carry on through it. It seems a little early for all of this, so I'm worried it might get worse as time goes on. Doe anyone have any experience or advice?

Hi Hun, I suffered with this in my pregnancy with my son..'I'm now 10 weeks pregnant and noticed it yesterday too! I can figure out if it's just like a strained pain from my lower back from picking up my son or if it's the Sciatic pain again! It is quite sharp and just as u described when I put weight on my left leg.. I guess we will have to hope for the best :) xxx

Sorry I had no advice I just wanted to say I was having the same, you're not alone :flower: xx

I suffered from around 12 / 13 weeks last pregnancy with the pain just above my right bum cheek. Was awful! Last week I had a day where I could feel it coming back this pregnancy (at around 11 weeks), but on my left. I was terrified it was starting already, but it passed the next day.. I'm still counting on it coming back though.. just hopefully not yet!

Physiotherapist here!!!!

Sciatica could be from a couple different sources during pregnancy. This early on it's more than likely your hormones are causing ligaments to loosen up (which are already loose from previous pregnancies).

A few suggestions:
1) always pay attention to posture. Our pregnant bellies cause our lumbar spine (low back) to curve more. Something called lordosis. To counteract this you need to work your abdominals. A safe pregnancy exercise to do this is called a posterior pelvic tilt. You'll find tons of info on it if you Google it.
2) stay away from forward flexed (bent over) positions, including while sitting. No slouching!!!
3) start doing your kegels NOW. The kegel exercise has a secondary benefit. It activates a muscle called the transversis abdominus which is crucial in the stabilization of your spine. Start with holding a kegel for 10 seconds. Repeat 10 times. Do 5 times a day if you can.

Disclaimer: while I am a licensed physiotherapist my advice does not replace the advice you should receive from your doctor or a physiotherapist that should fully examine you and determine a course of treatment. That said, an examination from a local physiotherapist may be advised early on to help prevent the onset of perhaps 6 months of sciatica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->