sciatica

Leanne marie

Reaction score
hi all im currently struggling with pain down my right leg from the top to the very bottom a sharp pain that seems to hurt more when i walk or put pressure on my leg and when i seem to lift some items or as iam a nursery nurse when i lift children, my midwife has advised me that this possibly could be sciatica and has advised me to go swimming do you have anymore tips to relive the pain im currently experiancing thanks x x

helloooo i have this too 0 some days sooo bad and others not so bad.....i have tried loads of things and to be totally honest nothing helps me at all!!! Maybe a heat patch/ hot water bottle on the bottom of the back or where it hurts but thats about it...ive tried yoga-exercising, resting etc nothing helps!! :(:( Hopefully someone else will have some good advice :D:D:D xxx

If you lay down on the opposide side of the pain, it really helps.

I had this, it hurts so bad. I'm sorry you're going through it. I went to physical therapy for it and the doctor showed me some exercises to relieve the pressure. The key is keeping up with them, eventually the baby will move and it won't hurt as bad. I still notice a twinge when I lift my toddler, but nothing bad.

Research pelvic tilts. Do them. They feel silly but help tons! Also lay on your back and pull the leg that hurts you toward your chest as close as you can, repeat both these several times/day. Stay off your feet as much as you can, get a lot of help and rest for a couple of days straight if possible. Heating pad on your lower back at night, also hot showers letting the water spray your back and legs helps too. Nothing will take the pain completely away but this will help you cope until the baby moves off that nerve.

Hi I have this down my left side (back, bum, leg and foot) and am soooo miserable as it hurts to sit, walk and stand. I had a midwife appointment today and she gave me a number for a physio at our hospital, she said usually it takes months to get an appointment but when you are pregnant you can self refer yourself so I gave them a call and hopefully will hear back tomorrow. She says they will show me some exercises to do any maybe give me a pelvic support belt (you can get these online quite cheap) she says as I am in pain you adjust how you walk and move and this can cause other problems. She also said take paracetamol to help with the pain and do pelvic tilt exercises on a birth ball as it may make baby move. Hope you feel better soon xx :hugs:

I had this before I was pregnant but my mum suffers with it alot so she was able to help. Make sure you don't lift (which I know in a nursery is hard as Im in the same job but others should be able to help out with that), rest but also make sure you dont stay still for too long as you will get stiff and my Mum always says to put an ice pack on your back for no more than 20 minutes every hour and it does work.

Hope you can get some relief soon! x

yoga is very good for it.
also u can get pysio for sciatica, one good exercise u can do to relieve pain is get on ur hands and knees, arch ur back so ur bum is in the air and rock back and sit on ur feet. keep repeating this as it helps untrap the nerve.

also hot water bottle or a heat pad is nice and sleep with a pillow inbetween ur knees

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->