Screening DD for additional support at school

Cattia I was having a search and came across this thread. How did your DD get on with the test?

Preschool are concerned about DSs lack of concentration / focus.

Hi, well we haven't really got anywhere yet! Apparently the software can only be used on one allocated computer in the whole school and it keeps crashing so it is taking FOREVER to get through the tests for all the kids who need it. I have spoken to the head about it and she assures me it's in the process of being done.
DD's year one teacher has raised concerns about her lack of focus. Basically, if instructions are given, DD will often not have heard them and will be wandering around doing her own thing. She suggested we get her hearing tested (already done that and I know she can hear fine) so really we are no further along. My main concerns are:
Does she have high functioning ASD which is making her zone out?
Does she have ADD?
Does she have auditory processing disorder?
Is she dyslexic?

She seems to get on well enough with other kids and her teacher tells me she is very able, but she is slow to complete anything and just can't keep track of instructions. I don't want to get her diagnosed with anything unless it's actually going to impact positively on her. Sometimes I think she just isn't cut out for the pressures of school. What is the situation with your DS?

Hi Cattia, sorry you aren't getting anywhere with the school. Nightmare that they can't transfer the software onto a new computer.

DS has a psychologist going to observe him tomorrow.
The things preschool have picked up on is he just zones out doesn't listen / follow instructions. Needs constant reminders etc. Jumps from one thing to the next. But when he is alone or the preschool is quiet he can play away for ages without issue.

So is it just a behaviour / discipline issue?
Is it auditory processing (which can also be behind dyslexia)?
ADHD - I don't see the hyper bit?

Neither of us see it as ASD, but so many of these issue have over lapping symptoms. Personally I think it's most likely to be auditory processing / short term memory / dyslexia which seems to run in my family.

I've been trying to teach him to read simple words and he is getting nowhere. Can tell me the 3 letters n-e-t, what does it say "tent".

Cattia I was having a search and came across this thread. How did your DD get on with the test?

Preschool are concerned about DSs lack of concentration / focus.

I hope you get some answers. I would say he is still very much on the young side to be picking up sounds and letters so I wouldn't necessarily read much into that at this age. Dyselxia runs strongly in my DH's family, but DD is learning to read, I wouldn't say she's up there with the best readers in the class by any stretch, but she doesn't seem to be overly struggling either. However I know that there are some types of dyslexia that don't show up until later, when the reading and writing gets more demanding. In her case, I would say from the reading I have done that ADD (without the hyperactivity bit) is possibly the best fit, but to be honest I wonder if all these labels are really just different variations of similar problems. For the time being, I am going to leave things be and see how she goes. Her teacher this year has really warmed to her, which helps as I know how frustrating it can be to have to ask her again and again to do the same thing! Do update and let me know how you get on.

Hi
Good to hear her teacher has warmed to her. Please keep an eye on the dyslexia thing. In school I was Miss Average never bad enough for support in school but the issues were there. When I got assessed at the age of 32 my dyslexia report shocked and surprised me, some bits of my brain are dire other bits put my as in the top few percentage of the population - I should have done better in school exams!!!
In school spelling was my biggest give away but I hid my poor comprehension by looking at the questions BEFORE reading the passage then looking for the answers in the passage. That worked until I got to GCSE type level where they are looking for much more in-depth answers, rather than the basic questions like. What was the boys name? First sentence in the passage "the boys name was Bob" LOL.

On to DS. She has suggested that we work on memory type games with him. And that we get some sort of reward system I'm place to recognise and encourage good behaviour. She is coming back to see me at the end of the month.

I should add yes I do think all of those problems are different variations of the same root issues. Which will explain why so many aspects overlap. I've read an academic report that suggests that ADHD and Dyslexia are different degrees of the same issue. But then really we don't know enough about how the brain works.

Hi
Good to hear her teacher has warmed to her. Please keep an eye on the dyslexia thing. In school I was Miss Average never bad enough for support in school but the issues were there. When I got assessed at the age of 32 my dyslexia report shocked and surprised me, some bits of my brain are dire other bits put my as in the top few percentage of the population - I should have done better in school exams!!!
In school spelling was my biggest give away but I hid my poor comprehension by looking at the questions BEFORE reading the passage then looking for the answers in the passage. That worked until I got to GCSE type level where they are looking for much more in-depth answers, rather than the basic questions like. What was the boys name? First sentence in the passage "the boys name was Bob" LOL.

On to DS. She has suggested that we work on memory type games with him. And that we get some sort of reward system I'm place to recognise and encourage good behaviour. She is coming back to see me at the end of the month.

I should add yes I do think all of those problems are different variations of the same root issues. Which will explain why so many aspects overlap. I've read an academic report that suggests that ADHD and Dyslexia are different degrees of the same issue. But then really we don't know enough about how the brain works.

I'm glad that they came up with some useful suggestions for your DS. We've been trying something similar, we do the 'granny went to market' game where she has to try to remember the items in the shopping basket.

It sounds to me as though your intelligence masked your dyslexia at school. I think this can be common with bright students. Can I ask, did you experience and difficulty learning to read and write? My DD does letter reversals but apparently this is pretty common, she recognises sounds and letters but her teacher says she is very bright so I also know that she could be coming up with strategies to overcome problems which could make them more difficult to spot. Hopefully when she eventually completes this assessment it will give us a better idea of whether any issues are being flagged up. Do keep me updated on your DS, it's so reassuring to talk to someone who is in the same boat as it can be a bitt daunting!

Cattia I replied to you but I've just noticed it didn't post sorry.

Reading I don't recall finding it too hard, but I learned with "look and say" rather than phonics. But my fluency when reading aloud was questionable, my P4 teacher would generally give me a shorter section to read than class mates, comprehension / remembering what I'd read debatable as I'm sure I've mentioned I'd read the questions then look for the answer. Even now I have an ability to read something but not have actually recall what it was about.
Writing the physical skill was ok, but I went through a phase of tiny writing as a tactic to hide duff spelling which lead to more writing practice.
Spelling (my main issue, spell check found tactic for me) magic E confused me and id add e to words that didn't need it, I still recall being rather confused with changing ring, sing and bring into doing words ringing, singing, bringing, I ended up with s, r, br, on the page!

Ed Psychologist was out TBH I found it to be pointless. All the advice I was given was to play games with him and take him to the park. I'm starting to think preschool are making a mountain out a mole hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->