Seafood is the only thing that sounds good

brittany12

Mommy x’s 2
Reaction score
I have a hard time during my pregnancies when it comes to finding foods to eat. Nothing usually sounds good. Except this time shrimp, crab legs, lobster.. seafood sounds so good but I can't just eat seafood this pregnancy or can I?

This is how I feel. I'm on vaca right now and want clams every day. Kinda gross huh? LOL

Shellfish if cooked all the way are suppose to be safe.

No, you can't... The general guideline is up to 12 oz of low mercury seafood per week. That does sound really yummy, though. I'd love a big plate of Shrimp scampi right about now. :) Also, I've never had soft shell crab before, but I want it right. now. This post is not helping my craving. haha. If you can stomach it, take a prenatal DHA/fish oil.

It's more about the mercury content than likelihood of parasites since, when cooked correctly, they should be killed. I ate tons of crab during first tri, more than I should in hindsight lol. There was one month I ate 1-1.5 dungeoness crabs every week. I eat clam chowder all the time. Salmon is good, fairly low in mercury and good protein. I've had sushi several times from reputable places.

Yes shrimp is on the low end of the mercury scale thankfully! I can't afford to eat seafood everyday but if I could I would be in trouble

meeeee toooooo! I stay away from fish that is high in mercury. As long as it is cooked and in small amounts, I say why not? I did the same during my last pregnancy and there were no issues.

I agree with all the other ladies... just watch the mercury content. Having it daily in small amounts won't hurt your baby and actually fish is a really good source of DHA for the baby's developing brain. I actually envy all of you that crave seafood. I've personally never liked fish and have always had to supplement DHA in pill form.

Just reading the title made me gag! Pregnancy is hilarious!
it might just be a passing phase so you won't have to worry about heavy metal levels. I've had week long cravings for stuff and not it touched it since. I ate a cucumber a day for a while but now can't stand it. And tea, I wanted it hourly for about a week but am now averted to it!

I don't know how much mercury is in the fish that you've listed, but I seem to recall that when pregnant with my first I looked up tuna and you could eat about 3 tins in a week or something ridiculous like that. I wouldn't worry too much if the seafood is cooked, and you're not eating it for every meal.

Seafood is safe as long as it's cooked properly and limit mercury containing ones

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-I-...regnancy.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=216

Nothing sounds good to me right now either, but I HAVE been having cravings for perfect margaritas lol. I found a way around it by just drinking the mix with no alcohol while eating olives. Tastes very close, close enough to hit the craving at least. Stupid cravings hahahahaha!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->