• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Second day of cloth diapering and I'm ready to give up

SaraEmily

Mom of 2 girls
Reaction score
Okay so I've started building up a CD stash.. so far I have: 3 bumgenius 4.0, 1 bumgenius freetime AIO, 1 Alva pocket, and a Kawaii pocket. I didn't want to get more than that until I'm sure it's something I want to commit to.

Anyway, yesterday I prepped them and tried them out on my 2 year old and my 8 month old. The fit seems okay, although a bit tight on both of them even on the loosest setting. They all seem to hold for about 2 hours which sounds about normal. I'm only using the microfiber inserts right now, hopefully once I prep the hemp and bamboo inserts they'll be able to last through a nap or overnight.

But here's the problem.. The ones that have been pooped in just won't get clean. My toddlers the only one who's pooped in them, and her poop is solid enough to just be dumped in the toilet without even really leaving anything behind on the diaper at all.

Yet, even after multiple washes and rinses they smell just as bad as before they were washed. And this is after only ONE poop in each diaper. So obviously no time for buildup right? It has to be my washer. It's a cheap front loader.. It came with my apartment that I'm renting and I can't replace it. Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to give up on this after spending the money.

Oh also, I'm using Tide Original powder. That seems to be the strongest detergent I can possibly use and from what I've read I shouldn't have any issues getting things clean with Tide. I've tried using less, more, it doesn't make a difference.

Any ideas?

Were they new or pre-loved?

They're all new. I prepped them beforehand and I don't use any fabric softener or dryer sheets. I'm doing everything right so I don't know why this is happening.

I've heard that front loaders use significantly less water, so the diapers don't get a really good swishing in soapy water.

I don't have one myself, but I've heard that throwing in a wet towel helps trick the washing machine into thinking there's more laundry, thus using more water.

You could also try rinsing by hand before washing?

What kind of wash are you doing? Did you do a cold wash first, and then a hot heavy duty wash.

You can buy disposable inserts that can be flushed away. They're not nearly as harmful to the environment as disposables and they save a lot of frustration, especially with older babies with worse nappies!

What's your washing routine? I rinse then wash at 60 then rinse again. I wash every 2 days. I'm in the uk so have a front loading machine.

Do you know the make/model of your machine and what your hot water heater is set to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->