Sedation Meds and Breastfeeding?

Tiger22

Reaction score
Monday I am having a procedure done at the hospital where I will be given an IV and sedation Meds (Fentanyl and Versed).
My doctor doing the procedure says I need to pump and dump 24 hours afterward, but I also talked to a lactation nurse and a pediatrician and they both said I only had to pump and dump once afterward.
I'm not sure what to do now! I'm worried I don't want her to get any of the Meds and I'm hearing conflicting things.
Has anyone had a surgery or procedure where they had to do this? Or any advice? Thanks!

I would contact Dr. Jack Newman via his website. He will actually writeyou back and I've heard he is very quick in his responses xx

I would contact Dr. Jack Newman via his website. He will actually writeyou back and I've heard he is very quick in his responses xx

Oh that would be good! From Lactmed (lactmed.nlm.nih.gov/)

on Fentanyl:

No waiting period or discarding of milk is required before resuming breastfeeding after fentanyl is used for short procedures (e.g., for endoscopy).[3][4] After general anesthesia, breastfeeding can be resumed as soon as the mother has recovered sufficiently from anesthesia to nurse. When a combination of anesthetic agents is used for a procedure, follow the recommendations for the most problematic medication used during the procedure.

Five women who were 6 to 15 weeks postpartum were given a single dose of 100 mcg of fentanyl intravenously before undergoing general anesthesia. Several milk samples were collected between 5 and 24 hours after the injection from each woman. The authors estimated that the infants would receive an average of 0.005 mcg/kg in the 24 hours after a single dose of fentanyl. This corresponds to about 0.38 % of the maternal weight-adjusted dosage. The women's milk output following the surgical procedure was less than half of the normal milk output of nursing mothers. The authors concluded that this amount of fentanyl in milk is unlikely to affect a healthy, term infant.[8]

And Midazolam (Versed):

The small amounts of midazolam excreted into breastmilk would not be expected to cause adverse effects in most breastfed infants. Two expert panels advocates waiting for at least 4 hours after a single intravenous dose of midazolam (e.g., for endoscopy) before resuming nursing.[1][2] However, no waiting period or discarding of milk might be necessary before resuming breastfeeding after a single dose of midazolam in the mothers of infants over 2 months of age. After general anesthesia, breastfeeding can be resumed as soon as the mother has recovered sufficiently from general anesthesia to nurse.[3][4][5] When a combination of anesthetic agents is used for a procedure, follow the recommendations for the most problematic medication used during the procedure.

Five women who were 6 to 15 weeks postpartum were given a single dose of 2 mg of midazolam intravenously before undergoing general anesthesia. Several milk samples were collected between 5 and 24 hours after the injection from each woman. The authors estimated that the infants would receive an average of 0.016 mcg/kg in the 24 hours after a single dose of midazolam. This corresponds to 0.06% of the maternal weight-adjusted dosage. Hydroxymidazolam was not measured. The women's milk output following the surgical procedure was less than half of the normal milk output of nursing mothers. The authors concluded that this amount of midazolam in milk is unlikely to affect a healthy, term infant.

I just had wisdom teeth removed yesterday and had the same question for my dentist, as I got the same meds. Fortunately, a few weeks prior to my procedure he had another bfing mom needing IV sedation for a procedure and had done research regarding it as she too had the same concerns.

I was told that I should feed or pump (in my case I pumped as she had gone to MIL's in the morning as per usual, I'm used to pumping from being at work though) right before I went in to get the procedure, to avoid engorement. He said 4-6 hours after it was finished I could nurse. If I pumped during that 4 hour period he said he would suggest dumping it, but after 4 hours it would be fine to nurse. Pumping after that 4 hour time would have only been for comfort reasons for me (not to get rid of 'medicated' milk) so I just skipped the pump and fed her when MIL dropped her off roughly 6.5 hours later. Your baby is only about 6 weeks younger than mine so I would think that what I was told would be fine for you too :) He said there was more of a concern if she would have been a newborn but at 7.5 months everything was fine.

No ill effects for her whatsoever and was up at the crack of dawn this morning as always, no sedative effect for her haha!

After hearing that info I was/am more worried about the pain meds afterwards (which I am too scared to take so have just been taking over the counter ibuprofen)!

Thank you so much for the help ladies! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->