Seeking Advice

cocotanel

Reaction score
Hello all! I hope everyone's day is going well.

I'm not pregnant myself, but I have a friend who is and I need some advice. I believe I've posted this in the most appropriate area.

Like I said, a good friend of mine is pregnant with a wonderful baby boy who is due in August. I love her to pieces, and she actually helped me meet fiance. I'm extremely happy for her and her husband, and they know and always know I'm here to help them with whatever they need. I can't wait to meet little Junior and be his "auntie."

But, like I said, I need some advice. Any insight anyone can provide will be appreciated.

I love my friend, so please don't get the wrong impression from any of this. I haven't seen her in a while because I had to stop going to their house. They have five untrained, unhousebroken labs living in the home with them, so the state of the house is an absolute nightmare.

There is dog feces and urine all over the house, and the smell just from standing in the yard is absolutely unbearable. The dogs, and most certainly the house, are infested with fleas, so going into the house makes you a walking buffet.

There is junk such as old mail, dirty plates, old pizza boxes, and so on stacked up all over the place. It's not like "hoarders bad" and stacked up to the ceiling, but there isn't a surface that doesn't have some kind of old mail or a dirty plate on it.

Their bed room is unnavigatable because they have a mix of dirty and clean laundry covering the floor. It also now has a gaping hole on the bottom of the door where they dogs have ripped off part of the door to get in and out at night.

Their guest bathroom has mold growing on the walls and on the ceiling, so I can't imagine what the master bathroom looks like. The future nursery is where they keep their biggest lab at night, and he urinates in their nightly.

It's not an appropriate home for an infant, let alone a pregnant woman. My fiance and I are trying to figure out how to have a conversation with them over it, but we know it is going to ruin our friendship, but that is hardly a small price to pay considering a child is involved. I'll pay anything to protect the child.

My friend and her husband are in denial about the house. They tried to hire a maid at one point to clean it, but after seeing the house she said she was going to have to charge more (almost twice as what she had originally said) to clean the house because of the state it was in, and she also said the dogs would have to be removed before she would clean the house due to them jumping all over her. My friend was highly offended and gave this woman an awful and nasty review on a public site, stating that all of her allegations were false and that the house did not smell bad and was not all that unclean.

I'd love to find a good book or two about how important a clean house is for a newborn and a pregnant woman, but I can't seem to find anything that go over this. I'd also love to find a book about dogs and infants, but this is very low on the list or priorities right now. The house is more important.

It's come down to me knowing, in my heart, that if she takes her son to that home after he is born, I will end up making the call to CPS. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I was knowingly allowing a child to live in that place.

Any advice?

I think you just got to be blunt with her. Of course she isn't going to think it smells bad because she has been living in it for so long she has got used to it!

If you have to get child services involved then so be it. Its not right for them to bring home a newborn baby to somewhere like that.

Omg what a tough situation! I really think it is just a case of being blunt and explaining that their home is no place for a newborn at the moment. Good luck x

I would probably take the cowards way out and phone RSPCA (if you're in the UK) or whatever animal welfare service you can access.

It sounds like it's not a place for a baby, but it doesn't sound like it's right for the dogs either x

ETA - Do they suffer with any mental health problems? Quite often homes like this sit alongside mental health issues?

You could always get social services (CPS) involved before the baby was born, in a supportive manner. Her midwife could point her in the right direction and social services could provide training, advice and general guidance on getting the house ready for a newborn. It would be better coming from her before the baby is born to say she is struggling, rather than a social worker landing at her door and seeing that when the baby arrives. Not sure about in the US, but in the UK our midwives and health visitors have to visit the newborn at home. She won't get away with a house in that state if you have something similar.
It's a tough conversation but it might be better to try raising it with her incase she actually is relieved to have the subject brought up x

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm sorry mine has been a bit delayed.

I'll try talking to her, soon, but if she doesn't budge I have located the number for the DSS/CPS office in her county. They have a 24 hour hotline I can call for advice on how to proceed.

She's doing a birth at the hospital, so she lacks a midwife. I know she has a physician she is going to see, but I don't know who it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->