Self settling

rachwill

Reaction score
Truthfully, how important is it for a baby to self settle? I know my lo can self settle because if he wakens in the night for a bottle I feed him and then put him back in the cot awake and he goes over to sleep in about 5 mins by himself. Going to bed in the evening is different though. I settle him to sleep by pushing the buggy over a bump then when he's sleeping I lift him and take him up to his cot. He usually goes over to sleep within 5 mins so it's really no hassle. I have tried putting him in his cot drowsy etc but he just gets really upset so I lift him and settle him in his buggy. Is this really a big deal? He's 5 months.

No it isn't a big deal, or any 'deal' at all! Believe me, I know of LOs waaaay older than yours who are cuddled to sleep.

it takes some a long time.. Like you, my lo will easily drift back off after i lay him down after a bottle at night but getting him to nap even though hes tired and to sleep at night is hard.

not quite self settling but at least i can do it whilst he's laid where ever he will sleep. I gently run a finger down form his forehead to his nose slowly and repeat a few times. SOmetimes i actually have to gently shut his eyes runnign a finger over his lids then back on to his nose. He's eyes go sleepy then he eventually falls asleep. Only really works if he's tired and fighting it but it does the trick everytime!

Perhaps a lullaby or something as well then he'll know that its bedtime just then might be hard to get him off the lullaby lol

Definatly try the stroking or something though as it can be done in his cot rather than rocking pram and then transporting LO

Agree! My lo will go down fine at night-time but needs his dummy to settle if he wakes in the night

In the day, he only settles with his dummy

If you can get your baby to self settle straight away then great. But in reality, not all babies are born like that and need some sort of 'prop' to help them along. Luckily, we are not all pushed around to sleep by our Mums so it doesnt last forever xx

I don't think it's a huge deal. Sometimes Thomas gets so tired that he just screams and screams. He won't self settle so I have to soothe him to sleep. Other times he'll self settle. Don't worry! X

I was pretty obsessed with it when my DD was younger, and spent ages teaching her to self settle. With my son I have taken a much more relaxed approach, and now at 6 months he self settles at bedtime and for his two naps! I kind of wish I hadn't been so uptight about it with my daughter now!

It's not a big deal at all but it's become 'important' for me now because DD will be going to nursery soon and the nursery nurses won't breastfeed her or spend hours rocking her to sleep LOL.

For me it's not important. Omar used to self settle in his cot when he was a baby. But he stopped at 8.5 months, then he started to self settle on our bed before moving him to his cot. at 12 months he started to need cuddles to sleep. At 18 months we started to co-sleep as he started to refuse to sleep in his cot anymore. We still co-sleep & sometimes I do cuddle him to sleep. I'm fine with it & I enjoy it.

Agree! My lo will go down fine at night-time but needs his dummy to settle if he wakes in the night

In the day, he only settles with his dummy

If you can get your baby to self settle straight away then great. But in reality, not all babies are born like that and need some sort of 'prop' to help them along. Luckily, we are not all pushed around to sleep by our Mums so it doesnt last forever xx

My LO is exactly the same. Usually self settles herself at night but not in the day. Though tonight I tried her 5 times to self settle but had to give dummy in the end. She stayed at her Nannys last night so wondering if a bit out of sorts! Or just trying her luck!

My Lo has only self settled twice in his 4 months, until today. I lay him in his basket for 2 naps today and he settled himself. I put on some rain and thunder sounds and he was off before the 10 minutes were up. So proud :happydance:
Usually he goes to sleep in his swing or if at my mums she pushes him over a bump too. I just wanted to see if he could do it and he did :) I dont think I will do that all the time though. He didnt seem to sleep for long either, 30 min naps all day. No wonder he fell asleep in his Jumperoo :haha:

I'm just worried that I'm making things harder for myself in the long run. I hate listening to him cry even for 30 secs though when i know that a couple of mins in the buggy gets him over to sleep. His wee face when I put him in the cot awake just tears me apart it's like he feels I'm abandoning him! Don't know why it should be so different in he middle of the night!? I'll maybe try stroking his face. He's getting my pal scout for christmas maybe he'll help haha! Thanks everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"