Sensitive Issue - Any advice

Zoe And Bump

Reaction score
Hi all,

In a bit of a situation here which has been gradually bothering me more over the last few weeks and I wonder if anyone has been in the same place and can offer any advice or words of wisdom.

I have been at my place of work for almost 6 years and we're expecting our first baby. We had a new employee start in our small office last August. She is 10 years younger than me at 22 and sadly in the April of last year her unborn baby boy was poorly and she had to make the traumatic decision to give him wings at 6 months into her pregnancy. He was suffering with a hernia and she and her husband were told he would not survive for too long had she delivered naturally full term. We became very close when she started work, and offered advice to eachother, me to her having experienced a loss (early even so) many moons ago and her to me on my journey of TTC. She did not have any counselling for her loss and has dealt with things by blocking them out as far as I can tell.

I have helped her with many things from helping her write letters for personal legal things and even got her husband a job with my other half when he was made redundant 3 months ago. I considered her a close friend at this stage.

The day I found out we were pregnant I told her face to face, it was a pact we had made when she discovered we were trying. She said she would like to know as soon as possible. She was so happy for me at the time.

When we went to our 12 week scan she was so excited to see the picture. She returned to her home country for a holiday and bought me some baby gifts back which were beautiful.

I have always been very cautious about how she may feel and have tried so hard to only mention the baby had she or anyone else in the office asked. I worked for a small company and someone only has to fart and you can hear it!!!

2 weeks before our 20 week scan a customer asked how things were, I mentioned that we were almost half way there and we were hoping to find out what sex the baby was. After the customer had left, she angrily told me that she no longer wants to hear about my baby, she doesn't want to hear about the scan, if I want to talk about it can I please ask her to leave the room. She casually added onto the end of her requests that she hopes I do not have a boy as she would not be able to deal with it. Gobsmacked I said nothing, but weeks on I really wish I had.

To make matters worse, she is covering my duties while I am on maternity leave and from now until Christmas we will be working very closely while I train her. I feel guilty for the bump that is emerging and I am even at the stage where I try not to stand up while she is in the room so that she doesn't see it!!!

It's now been 5 weeks since I have mentioned anything pregnancy or baby related while she is present and give my colleagues 1 or 2 word answers when they ask how things are progressing. She has continued chatting happily away about her life and has even asked if I can help her out with another personal legal issue (she isn't able to write letters too well in English).

My boss is fully aware of the situation and while he thinks that what she has asked is unreasonable he has obviously asked me to be aware of her feelings (which I always have been).

I cannot begin to imagine how she dealt with what she went through, it was so so tragic and sad. But I do know how it feels when there are bumps and babies everywhere when you are struggling to have one. When my best friend was pregnant it cut through me like a knife but I supported her, even threw her a baby shower and was godmother to her newborn. It hurt and I cried a lot at home, but not once would I have ever asked her to not talk about him or asked her to hide her happiness.

I'm now at the stage where I feel anger towards her and almost guilt for feeling like I have to pretend that I'm not pregnant at work and ignore the little bundle of bump jumping around in my tummy.

We have found out that we are expecting a boy and I just don't know how to deal with this......I am planning on returning to work after my 39 weeks maternity leave......should I still be expected to not talk about baby when I return? We work a 40 hour week and are constantly in the same office.

Is she being unreasonable? Am I wrong to feel so angry? I just don't know what to do. Half of me wants to take her to one side and tell her how sorry I am for her but that she cannot expect me to hide the fact that I am going through to most important part of my life so far.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as at the moment I am boiling over with all kinds of emotions over this.

(Sorry for the essay) :coffee: xx

Hi,
First off I can tell from your post you are a good decent person :hugs::hugs:
Your friend/colleague is in a lot of pain a pain you cannot imagine unless you have been through it, I know I have been there . Its been six months for me since loosing Ava and only now can I see pregnant women and being around a newborn still makes me run into the bathroom to cry :cry::cry::cry: While I know it was hard for you to see women who were pregnant cause you were trying to conceive its even worse when you loose your child and you have to see it :cry:I will say though that nobody has the right to ruin your joy or not have you be able to talk about your pregnancy , its not fair to you and I am sorry and no you are not being unreasonable, but I am in your friends shoes and I know the pain of even seeing a newborn and a pregnant woman, it is a hurt that I cannot explain . You need to distance yourself from her, you have every right to enjoy this pregnancy and to be able to talk about it wherever to whomever you please. I know you are very kind and I know you care about her feelings, she is hurting and angry as I was and I know people have their breaking point, but I have been there and I know how she feels so my heart breaks for her. My advice is just stay away from her, or sit her down and talk to her tell her you will never know her pain ever and you are deeply sorry but you can't and wont stop living or talking to friends when they ask about the baby, your friendship will be strained, but please believe me she will come around and even apologize she needs time to heal. This pain never goes away it just becomes a new kind of normal for us. I wish you all the best, you are a good and kind person //XOXOOXOOXOOX :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Thankyou for your words Andypanda. I am so sorry for your loss, I have no words but I really do hope that time makes things easier for you. I totally understand what you have said, I have no idea how it feels and can only imagine a tiny amount of what you and she went through. I would never try and ignore the pain she is in, and I can't stop feeling selfish for feeling the things that I do.

I had already made the decision to stay clear of her, but it's hard when she is still trying to engage in conversation about other things and ask me to help her out with things. It's almost like she wants me to be her friend but without the baby. I don't know, it's very delicate.

I wish you all the best, and again I am so very sorry for your loss xxxx

Thankyou for your words Andypanda. I am so sorry for your loss, I have no words but I really do hope that time makes things easier for you. I totally understand what you have said, I have no idea how it feels and can only imagine a tiny amount of what you and she went through. I would never try and ignore the pain she is in, and I can't stop feeling selfish for feeling the things that I do.

I had already made the decision to stay clear of her, but it's hard when she is still trying to engage in conversation about other things and ask me to help her out with things. It's almost like she wants me to be her friend but without the baby. I don't know, it's very delicate.

I wish you all the best, and again I am so very sorry for your loss xxxx
Thank you so much :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs: Just try and give her some time she will come around I know it and if she doesn't you need to do the best you can and not worry about anyone except you and your precious baby to come. Things will work themselves out believe me :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

when i was 8 weeks pregnant, it appeared that i had lost my baby. for about 5 days, i was completely heartbroken. i've never known sorrow like that, but now know the pain of losing a child in the womb.

my bf's cousin had just had a baby, and wanted to take me to go see her. he was excited about the new addition to the family, but i was completely gobsmacked that he was taking me to see a baby. i was in no state to see babies alive and well when i thought i had just lost mine. it didn't seem fair.....why did mine die, but hers lived? i was angry, hurt, and in all sorts of emotions (hormones aren't our best allies during this time anyway, as you know ;) ). i would say that your co-worker needs some healing time. she needs a friend, even if she can't express herself well right now. when she can see past the pain of her loss, i'm sure she can celebrate the joy of your child. be kind to her, she's experiencing some crazy heartache right now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->