Sensory Processing Disorder.....

sequeena

Winging it.
Reaction score
SUCKS! :growlmad:

Thomas is having a really rough time with it recently new 'behaviours' (for lack of a better word) are becoming apparent. Things like tags in clothes, the need to be as naked as possible, wearing hats and gloves etetc basically stuff you need on a daily basis he is hating and I don't know how to make it better.

He also has a new compulsion (again for lack of a better word). In shops he absolutely has to drag his hands along the shelves so he touches every product. I keep redirecting him but it's something he absolutely HAS to do. He becomes extremely upset if he can't do it. I try to explain why he can't but he just doesn't have the cognitive ability to understand :(

And we are eating out today!! It's been planned for a while just me and OH but now we have no one to look after Thomas. We don't want to cancel I just hope it doesn't go too disastrously.... why can't things be easier :(

That sucks I also hate tags but cutting them off feels worse :o is there any toy you can take out wit u for lunch to keep him busy? Rosalie just went through a phase of strippng off at home it seems really common I remember my nephew doing it like until he was 6 he'd run around naked lol. I hope you manage to enjoy lunch x

We take all sorts out for him but Thomas finds it really hard to sit still. The only time he does it is if he's being pushed in his wheelchair. I hope we manage to eat our food before he starts really kicking off :(

The restaurant part went pretty well. He sat quietly for the most part and ate some food. I let him play cbeebies on my phone.

The reason was so good though was that his behaviour came out elsewhere. He screamed around shops, kept dropping to the floor, head butted trees (yes), kept brushing his hands along shelves and in next even managed to take an entire shelf off the wall :( he kept running away from us too. I'm just exhausted.

I think the naked thing is fairly common in all children.
My son went through a phase of having to touch every door we passed and would get very distressed if I stopped him. Used to take forever to walk into town. Glad you got to enjoy some of your meal

:hugs: yup I'm right there with you.

He tolerate hats currently but no gloves. Will ty and strip off too and dislikes nappies atm which is great :growlmad: it takes forever to do anything I know marcus runs off and he loves feeling clothes the best..m and s at Christmas had this onsie and he loved it we had to stand about ten minuts while he had this complet moment. Him actually doing it isn't the worst pat I think how socially unacceptable it is is the difficulty. I'm sure I told u how he licked the wall, table and chair at Costa coffee last week :blush: he's rally loving the ather atm as he runs in the wind like a dog tongue out feeling the air!

I think it's really hard as u can't just cure it its coping mechanisms and with his delays it will take time for him to manage and learn ways to cope.

Do you have a sensory bag? I do with all,sorts of sensory thig s in I take out but to be fair he ignores it.

I'll give u a laugh, much needed I'm sure, he was caressing and stroking the sanitary towel packets in chemist :haha: he wouldn't stop at all I was sooooo embarrassed

My 7yr old has SPD. Are you in OT for it?

We have a sensory bag too. :thumbup:

Oh annanouska these kids can be so funny with their little quirks!

We have had 6 sessions of OT. I don't know if I should take him back. The OT is so full here they see kids for 6 sessions then discharge and you can refer back.

Oh annanouska these kids can be so funny with their little quirks!

We have had 6 sessions of OT. I don't know if I should take him back. The OT is so full here they see kids for 6 sessions then discharge and you can refer back.

6 sessions hardly does anything! Theres so much that needs to be covered!!

Can you do any of the things at home? Pinterest has great resources. Facebook has great SPD groups.

My DD2 is a seeker and avoider. Shes in every area. Shell rub tags literally off blankets but hates mixed foods.

To give you an example: this week in OT we make "snow" and worked on texture. Then we mixed foods together and worked on that. Then they talked about her "engine" (how her body responds to stimuli sensory wise).

In the past we have brushed her hair, rode on swings and scooters, colored, put puzzles together.

Sounds very much like Oscar! Our OT has just discharged us and has asked us to re-refer in July...absolutely useless.

Thank you x yeah we do a lot at home he really likes compression so we often roll him up in a blanket and press on him. We do massage and stuff too and lots of other different things to try and keep him grounded.

It is so much work isn't it I feel like I'm always on some sort of schedule if I'm not doing speech therapy I'm doing speech therapy if I'm not doing that I'm doing physio exercises and if I'm not doing that I'm doing OT!! :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->