Separated ab muscles

Harley Quinn

Mom of three boys <3
Reaction score
Part way through my first pregnancy, I noticed that my upper abdomen would become a ridge rather than a nice round bump whenever I used those muscles to sit up after lying down. I asked my OB about it, and he said that my muscles had separated, that it was common, and that they might not ever go back to normal.

Well, they are not back to normal, but I did just have a second baby, so I don't really expect them to be.

My question is, for those of you who also had this, did your doctor tell you it would always be that way or that it might not go back to normal? I'm just curious because like I said, my OB seemed to think it might not return to the way it was pre-pregnancy, but my family doctor just told me that's rubbish and that it should for sure go back to normal.

What's been your experience with separated abs?

My physio told me they will never be 100% but you can do certain exercises to improve it :)

carrying a 11lb 2 baby seperated my muscles. was told to do milk excercise to pull them together. and no i was told they wont be the same again x

No personal experiences with this, but my girlfriend finally opted for a tummy tuck to fix her's. It was expensive, but now her tummy looks better than it ever did. The thought of plastic surgery sucks... but I'm going to have to have my boobs done... pregnancy and breast feeding has left my right one two cup sizes larger than my left.

Mine were separated 4 fingertips after birth, which is pretty bad, but my midwife told me exercises to do in order to fix the damage. The important thing to remember is to NOT do crunches or any other tough abdominal exercise until there is less than a fingertip separation.

9 months later, there is only a tiny bit separated when I flex, so I have been doing crunches. Before it was this way, I did vacuums. Planks are a good next step, but avoid doing crunches for long time.

Here's a website that tells you how to check for abdominal separation and how to correct it: https://www.nhpt.net/exercise_pages/diastasis-recti.htm

It can go back to almost normal if you things the right way.

Thanks for your replies, ladies! I did some googling, and I think I've found some decent exercises to try to help it go back to normal, or as close to normal as it'll get.

I also found a site (for a physiotherapist) that said that the muscle separation can contribute to other problems like back pain and incontinence. And I have been having some issue with holding my pee recently. All the more reason to do those exercises!

ETA: Thank, Feronia! I was still typing while you were posting. I hadn't seen that site yet; looks great. :)

Yes, it can cause incontinence and back pain. I had problems making bowel movements too due to not having any muscles. I exercised and exercised and it didn't bring my muscles back together. It did however strengthen them. I had severe separation. I made the decision to have a tummy tuck. I had that done yesterday. Do you know how bad your separation is?

Just checked it the way suggested in the link above, and it feels like it's only about two fingers wide. So maybe it's not quite as bad as I originally thought. Doesn't change the fact that I still need to exercise. Ha!

I hope your recovery goes well, green eyes!

Just checked it the way suggested in the link above, and it feels like it's only about two fingers wide. So maybe it's not quite as bad as I originally thought. Doesn't change the fact that I still need to exercise. Ha!

I hope your recovery goes well, green eyes!

If it's only 2 fingers then you should be able to bring them back together with exercise. Mine was so severe that you could fit both hands in it.

As far as I know they always separate during pregnancy and sometimes it takes time for them to go back to normal. After my second son mine stayed a bit separated (2 fingers or so) for over a year and I was even offered an operation on the NHS but got pr with my daughter and when I went to see the surgeon 2 months or so after she was born they told me they were back to normal and I didn't need anything. Even in people who have never had babies these muscles can be separated quite a bit. I have just had my 5th baby a little over 2 weeks ago and mine seem to be coming together, yesterday they were 1-2 fingers apart.
Hope yours go back together soon, as pp said if its only 2 fingers they should go back together.

My belly separated quite a lot at the end... it was just BIG. My OBGYN said it was a small hernia/mild diastasis recti and it would correct itself. I have.... for lack of a better word, a dent that is still there above my navel. I did have a piercing for 7 months though, not sure if that effected things.

But it has gotten so much better from the earlier months. I don't have a gap anymore (it was about two fingers wide just after birth) but now it's less than one finger wide. I avoided crunches completely and did standing exercises instead at the 3 month mark. I think it helped strengthen them. I still have to be careful not to lift very heavy things or I get a sharp pulling feeling once in a while.

My doctor says its still normal and can take a year or even two in rare cases but should go away, just to treat yourself gently because healing takes much longer for most women than they realize. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->