Separation anexiety in toddler. Any advise please

Wombat

Married mum of 2:)
Reaction score
Hi girls :)

My little boy going to be 2 in September and he has always been a mummy's boy. But now it is stronger then ever. Please get me right, It is lovely, but sometimes it is just a bit hard. And I am slightly worried how I am going to come when the new baby comes.

What happens is, that he is constantly asking for me (even if I am nowhere near). If he knows I am in the house he will scream untill I get to him. If I am in the room and go out - he will immidiately run after me screaming "mummy", even if his dad is in the same room.
If I am there he will want ME to feed him, change him, bath him. He just wouldn't let anyone else do it (screams mama and clings to me).
It just is hearbreaking for me to hear him cry for me at the moments when I can't do anything (I am suffering from very very bad spd).
And he just wants to be carried around by me all the time (no one else).

I do think it is so lovely and he always has kisses for me. And he seems to adore my bump (constantly gives "baby" kisses and pats and hugs my bump).

I think I have to mention that he has almoust never has been away from me at all (maximum for a few hours)... Aw, and my OH works from home and is a brilliant dad. Very hands on.

Any experiences in this? And what would you advise?

I have no idea how to cope cause we're dealing with the same thing here. Charlotte is very into Mommy (Daddy works all day) and has been with me 24/7 practically since she was born. She does all the same things as your lil guy and goodness forbid I hold Austin! I hope things get better for y'all!

not much advice really but i have read that it is better to encourage a clingy child to be more independant but to make sure you dont push them away as it will make them more clingy ???? instead to let them cling if they need to as it helps build their confidence while praising / rewarding them being more independant.. does that make sense
sorry- not much help im sure, but didnt want to read and run :)

Thanks girls for replies:hugs:

Please, if anyone else has any experience?

My little boy is much younger (only 11m) but also very clingy, he always has been. I find, at this stage at least, that lots of reassurance and gradually withdrawing works best. For example, if I have to leave him in the room on his own I'll talk to him from the other room and come back for hugs lots. Like when I'm cooking n stuff he tends to stand at the baby gate on the kitchen door and gets upset if I don't give him enough attention.

I'll be interested to see what other ladies suggest - good luck :)

My little girl is 2 in September as well :) and my goodness she is desperate at the minute :dohh: Even her Dad at times is no good :( The other night she screamed for me, her dad was in the room but she wouldn't stop then I went down and she was quiet within 10 seconds :confused:

yesterday at the zoo she cried until her dad pushed the buggy and I could hold her hand and stroke her head like I have to do if she wakes during the night :dohh:

I don't think I've had this in my other little ones at this age and have no idea what to do myself other than let other people do more stuff with her?

try taking him to a mothers and toddlers class ?? :D
bailey was clinging to me the first few weeks, but now she ventures away and i get a gab with the other mums !...eventually your child will get used to being on his own. It must be so tiring for you!...
xxx

Thanks girls :)

It is dead tirening... The problem with going out is that I have severe SPD and walking futher then from the kitchen to the living room is a bit of a problem...
Last few days Dan wasn't too bad... I just have to let him scream when his daddy takes him away from me. I think he is sort of getting used to it. Well, as much as he can.

:dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh: Wish I didn't have the spd pain. At least then I would have been able to do more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->