Severe bloating & indigestion at night

cnote

Reaction score
Hi Ladies...so I'm going on 21 weeks and physically, this pregnancy has not been so bad (emotionally is another story as we dealt with an abnormal nt scan). However, in the last week or so, I've had such awful bloating and indigestion at night that I wake up at 2am almost every night and toss and turn for 2 hours before falling back into a half-sleep. It begins around 7pm every night, just a sudden onset of extreme bloat and I have to eat a very small or no dinner because of it. Then it gets progressively worse throughout the night until it's very painful and wakes me up. I'm worried this will give me stretch marks before the baby does! Is anyone else dealing with this and can suggest ways to minimize it??? It's making me miserable. :wacko:

I have been taking an antacid pill every day by mid-morning/early afternoon. That seems to help me quite a bit. I notice that if I take it too early in the day it doesn't help later on, so maybe you should take it in the early evening?

Other options are to try and recline yourself rather than laying flat. Laying upright can help that sort of thing, too.

I had to go to sleep near enough sitting up for a week the week before last! it was terriable!

Try to drink pleanty of water and if its mainly at night take an antacid pill when the symptoms start, the effects of them dont last for very long

from google, i questioned my knowledge lol

"if you take an antacid at the same time as eating a meal, it can work for up to three hours. In comparison, if you take an antacid on an empty stomach, it may only work for 20 to 60 minutes."

Hope you get sorted soon x

Probiotics are like antacids except they add food digesting good bacteria to your gut and work for much longer than antacids. Probiotics feed the good bacteria in your tummy and help food get down and out. Indigestion occurs from either not having enough digestive bacteria to digest food, then you get heartburn or when we drink water with or just after meals - it dilutes stomach acid not allowing you to digest food properly. In either case, not enough digestive bacteria or water diluting digestive stomach acids will cause everything, food, snacks to sit for long periods of time in your stomach and intestines. Antibiotics can also kill your gut flora which is why most doctors, when they hand out antibiotics, will recommend you get either acidophilus or a good probiotic. Same thing when pets & babies have to take antibiotics.

So if you have to drink water with a meal only do tiny sips, try to drink at least 1/2 before or 1 hour after your meal but never during. Garlic is a great prebiotic food try having it to help keep your good gut flora. Sugary carby foods kill your gut flora and you can get a condition called Candida where excess yeast grows if your diet doesn't have enough greens, protein but has lots of bread, pasta, rice, crackers etc. Candida and sugary, carby foods can cause indigestion, heart burn and sometimes you can see Candida yeast if your tongue is really white rather than pink. It can also least to uti's.

Coconut water helps bloating & swelling of all kinds...it has 7 x the potassium as a banana and potassium washes bloaty water weight away. Antacids are band-aid solutions but they work too, for a few hours. If this is waking you up at night you might want to solve what's really going on.

Thanks ladies for all the suggestions! Gonna try filling up on more probiotics (I love kefir anyway but have been lazy to buy it lately) and I'll try the coconut water. I'll absolutrly try the antacid in the evening starting asap as well. I was doing low carb and doing great but I've definitely fallen off the wagon recently with work events and family in town etc. I just want one night where I don't wake up at 2am feeling like an overfilled ballon!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->