Severe Reflux: Swollow study??

Mommy2Dallas

SAHM & Waiting to try
Reaction score
Hey ladies,

My DS is 8.5 months old and was born premature at 30 weeks since birth he has had reflux that has progressively gotten worse. He's always been under weight and very skinny but recently we have noticed he's not gained hardly any weight maybe 1lb since the end of October. His doctor is suggesting a swollow study I am just curious has anyone else's child been through this? what does the procedure do/How is it performed? Are there any other causes then reflux that would cause my little guy to not be gaining weight properly and being so skinny? He throws up a lot usually half or all his meals its not so bad when he has solids. He doesn't seem in any pain when he throws up even if he doesn't have the zantac. When he first came home he was really uncomfortable laying down he would make constant noises and not be able to fall asleep. He's been throwing up his meals since the NICU. Now he wont sit up because its uncomfortable and its causing his upper body to be very stiff we would on it with PT.

I'm just confused because everywhere I read said if its truly reflux that he would have pain but he hasn't really seemed bothered by it.

Is it a barium swallow? My son had severe reflux. He vomited constantly from birth to around 10 months. Although he did gain weight. No one ever believes us when we say how sick he was as it doesn't sound possible but it was. He had various blood tests for allergies and also the barium swallow. All that they did was starve him for a morning no food or drink which was a lot easier than it sounds, then he had an early morning appointment at the xray dep where he had to drink a white drink then lay down on a table while they took photos of the drink going through his upper digestive system. It wasn't pleasant for Nathan purely because he has a major fear of doctors/hospitals from the blood tests. They found nothing abnormal.
He suddenly just stopped being sick at around 10 months old. Seriously he went from constantly vomiting to just nothing. We don't know why he was so sick. On a blood test they found an immune deficiency but they don't think it was related to the sickness. He never lost weight as he was on Neocate which is ok as a food substitute, has your pead mentioned this? It is worth asking.
Reflux can be caused by Pyloric Stenosis but what we were told was that you would know by a few weeks old if they have that as they are seriously poorly with it. Also a loose muscle at the bottom of the throat can cause reflux which is more common especially in premies, and it just gets better as they get older but they can do an op to strenthen it. Reflux is also more common in boys and hereditary.
My husband had it just like my son when he was a baby but my younger son was lucky and didn't have it. Anyhoo I have babbled enough, I hope it all goes ok and your lo gets better soon,it is very hard having a child with sever reflux and you can only know how bad when you have been through it :)

Just want to add, my son was never seemingly in pain either but they need the antacid to prevent damage to the throat inside as the constant acid can really cause damage.

Thanks for replying Aimee :)

I'm so glad to hear your son is doing better and that nothing was seriously wrong and I hope he continues to feel better. No kiddo should have to go through what are son's have. gives me hope that Dallas is going to be okay. I believe he is going to get a barium swallow study. I am making the appointment with his pedi this month so I'm hoping we can get somewhere without the doctor saying "its normal" because its not. His dad had projectile vomiting but I don't know if it was ever classified as reflux. Dallas has gained a least a pound since November which is better than losing. I've been upping the calories on his bottle and solid foods so I think that is helping. His vomiting is still the same and there are times it sounds like hes choking. It breaks my heart :( I'm deffinlety going to ask about necocate though.

I hope the swallow goes well, its not that bad. I know that alot of health professionals just tend to ignore you when you keep saying that it isn't normal. I think they tend to keep a watch and wait approach. I know what you are going through and it is so, so hard. It feels like it will never stop. It will though. Please let me know how you get on :)

I've just read this and my little girl is sick all the time the doctors don't seem to mind because she is putting on weight only a pound a month tho but she is never in pain either, I have no idea what is causing it I'm.glad I'm not the only one going through this tho x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->