Sex after C-section

ChezTunes

Mummy to Elsa & Dexter :)
Reaction score
OH and I have always been super intimate, having sex (at least once) everyday before and up until the day before my elective C/S date. We got up to day 10 post-C-section and DTD... I'm wondering what damage I might have caused (if any?) because I was never told not to have sex for any certain amount of time while I was in hospital or anything so I thought to take it as a "do it when you're ready" kinda thing. I was told my the MW at my last post-natal appointment with her that I could resume having sex when I've spoken to my GP about contraception at my 6 week check... I didn't dare tell her we already had been having sex and have done 4 times so far (C-section was 29/03/12 - 2 weeks yesterday!)

I've had no more bleeding than usual (lochia has pretty much just been spotting) and no pain other than feeling like a virgin when he goes in (TMI :blush:) but other than that I feel fine and just can't wait to be intimate with him again, but I'm scared I'll do some damage now after the MW saying that. We've used a condom each time as I am aware of possible infection.

How long did YOU wait? :flower:

We waited about 7 to 8 weeks but that is because my lochia lasted a looong time and then after about a week of it stopping I got AF full on.

I think sex feeling tender the first several times is to be expected. Just remind OH to go gently. You many even need to find bit of a new rhythm but I really don't think you can hurt anything. I think the advice to wait is mostly to prevent infections especially as us C-section girls don't have stitches in our wahoos.

And you dtd everyday? Wow....lucky girl. lol

i am dying to dtd but so afraid ill get an infection :dohh:

going to try wait until my 6week check ...:haha:

We waited until after my 6 wk check up and even then I wasn't tender/sore down there, just the motion of dtd made my incision tender.

No one at the hospital even mentioned the possibility of infection to me before I left the hospital, we DTD at 11 days and a few times since. I'm a bit worried now as I didn't realise there was any reason not to other than contraception not being sorted.

I don't know how big a concern it is. Just keep an eye on it. I did struggle with infections for the first few months but switching to non-latex condoms has put a stop to them so I think an unknown latex allergy might have been the true cause.

No one at the hospital even mentioned the possibility of infection to me before I left the hospital, we DTD at 11 days and a few times since. I'm a bit worried now as I didn't realise there was any reason not to other than contraception not being sorted.

I read that the risk of infection is due to the placenta coming from the uterus wall and there needs to heal before having sex or you risk infection. I have no idea how credible that source is though! :wacko: Also, I think it's less common (but still possible) to get infections in an elective section because there's no dilation involved.

I stopped bleeding after like 4 days it feels so long ago lol but we had sex on day 8 an fooled around before that. I never had any problems but my incision healed super quick.

U think it's for being careful that you don't open your wound. It is still healing weeks after the op so if you are too rough it could open and then get infected. And remember, you may think its fine coz your wound looks ok but you can't see the inside wound.
If you feel ready though and you are comfortable and careful then why not! Just take care and if your tummy feels very tender or have any worrying symptoms after then just get checked out.

ENJOY :) x x

We didn't dtd until 9 weeks post op. was way too tender round my scar. I was also told to wait at least 6 weeks because of risk of infection x

I wasnt aware of infection either n we DTD after 2 n half weeks and have done it loads since lol (not protected either, oops!) but its fine for us n no problems :) x

I asked one of the midwifes in day assesment yesterday and she told me off for believing medical advice off the internet! She asked the other midwifes and none of them had heard about waiting six weeks for infection, as the placenta site will be fully healed after 2-3 weeks, she said it's likely some midwifes say this to try to scare women off until they get contraception sorted at their six week check as another pregnancy so soon would be very dangerous.

The very thought of dtd after my section made me :argh:

You're all better partners to your OH's than me :rofl: I think we waited 3 months from memory. It was quite a long time :haha:

I didn't until after my 6 week check up just for the fact I was scared of the incision hurting lol. But I wasn't told anything about being intimate.:shrug:

I wasn't told anything - I'm still concerned that I know nothing about a 6 week check other than everyone else in the world has been told about one :( but we dtd after about 4 weeks, using condoms...I'm no fool :rofl:

With our 1st, I had a c. I was just told to wait until 6 wks before having sex, nothing else besides that. A friend that had her daughter 5 days after i had my son told me they told her the same thing, no sex for 6 weeks. She had natural delivery. Same hospital. 8 days after the c, we tried. It was still pretty tender,couldn't penetrate me like normal so he made me orgasm, um..without actually finishing doing it (sorry if tmi, but fingering). At 14 days after, we went at it again...like normal. No protection the entire time, but didn't finish inside me. Didn't know about risks of infection, but did know about being more fertile right after birth.

Hi There,

Most doctors want you to wait at least until your lochia bleeding has stopped and your body returns to its normal, ‘healed’ state, which is typically 4-6 weeks after your C-Section.

Doctors are mostly concerned that sex too soon could cause postpartum hemorrhage and/or infection. The reason for this is that when you give birth, the placenta detaches from the uterus leaving a wound which is part of the reason why you bleed after childbirth. Having sex too soon could cause an infection, injury and internal bleeding.

But if you've had sex too soon, don't panic. The 4-6 weeks is a safety guideline. You should try to follow the guideline but if you don't simply keep an eye out for excessive bleeding, pain and fever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->