Sex before LH surge...what are our chances?

C

CasaDeGarcia

We got pregnant with our first child right away, but we have been TTC baby #2 for several months with no luck. We decided to start using OPKs this month to be sure we were getting our timing right.

I have an average 30 day cycle, and I began using the OPKs on CD12. We had sex on the night of CD13, but I didn't have a positive OPK until CD14. The hubs had to go out of town for a few days, so we didn't have a chance to baby dance again. I had two positive OPKs on CD 14 (one am and one pm), and on CD15 it was negative again. Based on the positive OPK on the morning of CD14, should I have ovulated about 36 hours after that which would be very late on CD15 or very early on CD16?

If I O'd on CD 16 and we had sex on CD13 do we still have a chance? I guess the sperm would have had to live for 3 days...they say it's possible but I probably shouldn't count on that.

I have been testing with internet cheapies for a couple days and getting all BFNs. AF isn't expected for 3 or 4 more days.

Anyone ever had a pregnancy result from having sex before the initial LH surge was detected with an OPK?

We got pregnant with our first child right away, but we have been TTC baby #2 for several months with no luck. We decided to start using OPKs this month to be sure we were getting our timing right.

I have an average 30 day cycle, and I began using the OPKs on CD12. We had sex on the night of CD13, but I didn't have a positive OPK until CD14. The hubs had to go out of town for a few days, so we didn't have a chance to baby dance again. I had two positive OPKs on CD 14 (one am and one pm), and on CD15 it was negative again. Based on the positive OPK on the morning of CD14, should I have ovulated about 36 hours after that which would be very late on CD15 or very early on CD16?

If I O'd on CD 16 and we had sex on CD13 do we still have a chance? I guess the sperm would have had to live for 3 days...they say it's possible but I probably shouldn't count on that.

I have been testing with internet cheapies for a couple days and getting all BFNs. AF isn't expected for 3 or 4 more days.

Anyone ever had a pregnancy result from having sex before the initial LH surge was detected with an OPK?

My doctor told me 3 days before ovulation and 3 days after ovulation are your best chances. Sperm can live up to 72 hours.

I conceived by having sex the day before a positive opk so it can happen

I think, according to the Shettles Method, if we conceived there's a good chance it could be a girl! But I'm 12dpo with BFNs on internet strips :(

I think, according to the Shettles Method, if we conceived there's a good chance it could be a girl! But I'm 12dpo with BFNs on internet strips :(

Just a little FYI on the internet strips- With my 2nd mc I was using my internet cheapies just to get rid of them and I finally had to get a store brand (FRER) and the cheapies were still showing negative when I was indeed pregnant. I even tested my theory and took an internet cheapy and a FRER at 5 weeks and the internet cheapy was still negative. If I were you I'd go grab a FRER and POAS :) Just my 2 cents!

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry about your MCs, but thanks for telling me this. I have been doing crazy research on internet strips and some people are claiming they're great and some say they suck!

I wish I could just see into my uterus.

For now, I am really trying to wait it out. I should start AF in 2 or 3 days, if that doesn't happen I'll get a more expensive test. I think odds are against us this time since we could only have sex once and it was before the LH surge.

Thanks for the info though!!!

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry about your MCs, but thanks for telling me this. I have been doing crazy research on internet strips and some people are claiming they're great and some say they suck!

I wish I could just see into my uterus.

For now, I am really trying to wait it out. I should start AF in 2 or 3 days, if that doesn't happen I'll get a more expensive test. I think odds are against us this time since we could only have sex once and it was before the LH surge.

Thanks for the info though!!!

Thanks. I agree! Wish we had ultrasound vision :) Oh and like your momma always said.. "It only takes one time!" So you still have a chance:happydance:

They say that sperm can survive up to 5 days in fertile CM. So if you had EWCM around then you stand a good chance.
Also, you can ovulate any time up to 36 hours after your +ve OPK. So you could have ovulated on CD14 or CD15.

With my daughter we BDed once on CD14, and back then I used to ovulate around CD16-18. I don't know it I randomly ovulated earlier or if the sperms survived that long in me but it's possible.

My doctor told me 3 days before ovulation and 3 days after ovulation are your best chances. Sperm can live up to 72 hours.

I agree that 3 days before ovulation is good, but the egg can only survive about 12-24 hours so there's not much chance of conceiving from having sex after ovulation.

I am in a similar situation - got pregnant with No. 1 right away and this time it's taking a bit longer (ie being normal!) And this cycle I think we BD two or three days before I ovulated.

Thanks for the info everybody, I will keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks, everyone! I'm still a little hopeful! 12 dpo today and AF due in 2 or 3 days...we shall see if sex one time the day before a positive OPK will lead to a BFP!!!

I agree that 3 days before ovulation is good, but the egg can only survive about 12-24 hours so there's not much chance of conceiving from having sex after ovulation.

Agreed, Not much chance of conceiving from having sex after ovulation

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->