shall i lie?

dizzyisacow

wife,mother & myself
Reaction score
my hospital believes a newborn needs formula before my milk comes in. i dont believe this. and im scared if i say anything they will not listen to me. so i thought i can tell them to let me bottle feed the baby and throw the stuff away.
what do you think?

Which hospital is that? Is baby going to stay with u 24/7? Then you should bf and throw the formula.. Thats whst i would do if you want to ebf and baby is healthy... Why wont they listen to u?

Yes you should. It won't do anything to break down their view that babies need formula before the milk came in but it will save you hassle. I was advised to give formula top ups to flush out the jaundice with this LO, I did consider saying I had done (was advised by my mw and a lactation consultant not to give them for real) but thankfully that doctor was not there the next time we went and his levels fell dramatically anyway so I didn't have to say anything.

i wont be with him 24/7 last time they gave him a dummy too,when i didnt want one..but i didnt say anything then.
i can request to feed him the bottle every feed without them watching.
im in cyprus, and thats what doctors believe over here.
they brought him to me every 3 hours but not at night, to breastfeed and then they gave him formula because they said he needs it.beeing a first time mum i just went along with anything.

is there no way you can request that he stays with you? if not, then yes i would chuck the formula, as you probably already seem to know, its utter rubbish baby does not need a bottle before milk comes in the colosturm is the best part!

Someone from Cyprus recently posted on here about not being allowed to keep baby with mum all the time and about formula top ups & dummies..
My response to her was that she should say she wants to give the formula (as part of bonding) then throw it or drink it herself..
So YES!! I'm saying the same to you, I'd do it & I reckon the majority of mums on here that want to breastfeed will say the same!! Go for it girl, you feed your baby how YOU want!! THROW IT!!

thanks girls :) he cant stay with me no, especially if i have a roommate, because if there are guests in the room baby cant be there.

aww its awful :-( i wish they had the same policys all over the world, we might be coming to cyprus in june! luckyly i'm low risk so i should be in the RAF maternity unit but if i had any problems i'd be transferd to a hospital!

Oh my gosh, what a lot of rubbish! New babies' tummies are the size of a marble, so even the tiny amounts of colostrum that you produce before the milk proper comes in, is more than enough to sustain him...and if you didnt let him feed from you, you could end up with a worse problem! He's your baby, what are they going to do if you dont feed him formula?? Report you to social services?? I dont understand their mentality! The baby wont die, thats what your body is meant to do, to produce exactly what baby needs..introducing formula may upset the delicate balance between baby and boob! And upset mummy too!

I think if I was in cyprus I'd be self discharging as soon as I could walk to the car without fainting.

Your own newborn child cannot be with you? They force them to have formula?

I would be having a home birth!

Jesus chirst, this is YOUR baby!

I would also want a homebirth - I really feel for you thats a TERRIBLE way to treat a mother and her newborn baby - and this treatment by so called health professionals! :shock: how dare they take your baby away from you for starters! :grr: throw the milk, its so much better for your LO to have colostrum and baby needs to go to the breast frequently to get the milk in. Its meant to be a hospital, not an institution. Good luck xxxx

How do these people think the human race has coped in any century but this one? (well, and last, lol)

I'm going to go against the flow and say no, don't lie. If you do, they will think that you are fine with giving your baby formula and they are bound to give him a bottle at some point rather than bring him to you. Show them a copy of the global Baby Friendly Hospital initiative from UNICEF and the World Health Organisation (they are breaking it on at least two points!) and stick to your guns. Your baby, your rules.

No I wouldn't lie, I'd make my feelings perfectly clear and stand my ground. Can they really force you to allow your baby to have formula? Considering your baby is a minor and they need your consent ?

I think to be fair on the OP, this isnt the UK or US we're talking about, its Cyprus so there is a language barrier issue and if you're not from there I have heard they can be very judgemental and I know ladies where social services have got involved when someone has been a foreigner in certain countries, and isn't playing ball where drs and other medical staff are concerned. So while I wouldn't normally support lying and I decided against it in my case because I had other medical staff and various guidelines on my side, its not so easy for others. Better to get out from under their radar asap by lying I would say. Also its so easy to be flippant and say 'ooh I'd be having a home birth' in some countries home births are either illegal or impossible to have unless you have a certain type of medical insurance, also many have failed to notice the OP is booked in for a c-section and so a home birth or discharging immediately post birth wouldn't be possible for her.

You poor thing. I'd also bring in a pump so that even if they don't bring in your baby on time you can stimulate the milk flow. A baby is better than a pump, but a pump is better than nothing!

I think to be fair on the OP, this isnt the UK or US we're talking about, its Cyprus so there is a language barrier issue and if you're not from there I have heard they can be very judgemental and I know ladies where social services have got involved when someone has been a foreigner in certain countries, and isn't playing ball where drs and other medical staff are concerned. So while I wouldn't normally support lying and I decided against it in my case because I had other medical staff and various guidelines on my side, its not so easy for others. Better to get out from under their radar asap by lying I would say. Also its so easy to be flippant and say 'ooh I'd be having a home birth' in some countries home births are either illegal or impossible to have unless you have a certain type of medical insurance, also many have failed to notice the OP is booked in for a c-section and so a home birth or discharging immediately post birth wouldn't be possible for her.

From what I know Dizzy speaks the language fluently as she was bought up over there, so language barrier is not a problem.

On this occasion I would lie Diz, but I would also be demanding my baby roomed in with me, OR say you are exlusing BFing so your baby must stay with you at all times. I hope you work something out x

I spoke to someone at WHO for some suggestions about what can be done in this situation, I'll PM you a copy of their email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->