Sharp abdominal pain

Savasanna

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm kind of freaking out a little. I'm 12 weeks pregnant and (this afternoon) started getting a pretty bad stomach ache. It seemed to progress and now I'm experiencing sharp pain in the upper abdomen. I thought it was gas so I went to the bathroom, but nothing happened. I did have a wave of nausea and threw up a little, and while gagging the pains became sharper. At one point I could barely sit straight up.

As I'm sitting here typing this is *sort of* feels like they may be getting better.. but maybe not. I can't tell. And it sort of goes from dull to sharp. Again, this is the upper abdomen, right below the rib cage and all the way down to my uterus. Definitely sensitive to the touch.

Any ideas? If it keeps up I'll definitely call my OB tomorrow but I'm wondering if this is a new (but normal) ache/pain?

(no bleeding and it's not an ectopic pregnancy)

If the paid extends out to the right I would be inclined to possibly say appendix?? I had this last September and it gradually got worse, started in abdomen below ribs then progressed to the right hand side above hip/uterus area. I ended up being taken to hospital by ambulance at 4 in the morning after speaking to out of hours Drs about 3 times during the night. I was sick as well and couldn't sit/lie down etc. I ended being rushed in for surgery to get it taken out.

Obviously I'm no doctor but it just sounded familiar what you've described. Can you call Drs for a chat?

Feeling any better today? Was it round ligament pain? Stomachache bug?

Actually - I think it was gas! Which just seems crazy to me because I was in so much pain that I was actually considering a trip to the ER (and I'm not one who usually even call a doctor when I'm not feeling well). I've never felt anything like that. But as I was speaking with SJ I realized that the pain had moved from right under my ribs toward the side of my body, and then later it moved further down toward my uterus. SJ said that that's a sign of gas as gas pains tend to move around. So I took some Gas-X and laid on the couch with a heating pad on my back for a few hours and it seemed to subside.

It was crazy though. When I went to go to bed my entire abdomen felt sore from the whole thing. I would *almost* say it was the most painful thing I've experienced.. but I feel a little silly in saying that as I have labor to look forward to. haha ;)

Glad it's all resolved itself now and that it wasn't anything serious! My appendicitis was extremely painful, definitely more so than labour! I found that more uncomfortable than anything else, but I think it's because I associated it with a good thing rather than being bad!

Oh interesting! Mind over matter can be such a powerful tool.

Oh haha, glad it wasn't serious, but yea, gas can be so painful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->