She seems to be eating a lot less, or maybe more efficient?

Mummafrog

New FTM to baby girl
Reaction score
My little girl has been a super breastfeeder since birth and I am grateful. She has never taken more than maybe half an hour to feed and does most of her feeding in the daytime as well! :happydance:

She is now 7 weeks and I am a little worried lately.. she feeds roughly 2 hourly in the day (which I'm fine with) but she only seems to go on 5-10 minutes now, is it normal for the time it takes to reduce?
Also in the night she tends to do one bigger feed before she goes down for the night, then another around 1-3am but after that if she wakes up she'll only latch on for a couple of minutes before she is too asleep to feed again. And this morning she woke up at 6am, it is now 7am, I can't remember her feeding properly since 2am and she hasn't asked for milk at all! She's just kicking and girgling around :wacko:

Do you think she's getting enough? I know I should just trust her to tell me... but I'm wondering if I should get her weighed.

Anyway, would love to hear of babies who were similar, thanks ladies! :hugs:

Wesley did the same thing at about the same age. Now at 14 weeks, he only feeds for 5-10 minutes tops and has spaced his feeds out to every 3-4 hours.

It was a huge worry to begin with as he had at one point been feeding hourly for half an hour or more at a time, but he's still gaining weight and having lots of wet nappies so I'm happy with it now.

Sounds fine to me! DD suddenly became a lot more efficient very quickly around two months old and it freaked me out because it felt like she just wasn't having anywhere near what she was the previous week. At first I kept trying to push her to feed more and she just wouldn't take it so I just decided to let her get on with it, she knows how much she needs. She is tracking her centile line perfectly and has lots of nappies so she must be getting enough.

To give you an idea, DD feeds for max 10 mins about every 2.5-3 hrs. At night it's about 5mins for her to drain one boob and by that time she is asleep again! She feeds twice in the night.

Sounds good to me but if you are unsure get her weighed to check!

Yep my dd feeds real quick now at 12 weeks and has for the past few weeks

They get very clever at getting that milk out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->