she will not walk/stand

divadexie

Reaction score
Someone help me I am at my wits end here.

Anna just refuses to learn to walk or even stand on her own and I have been told that if she wasn't waling by next month then I have to have the occupational therapists back again!

Now I don't have a problem with the professionals etc but I do not find them helpful at all, never have. I have a 6 year old son and managed just fine getting him to develop properly with no problems its not like she is my first baby or anything.

Every day I try to encourage her to gain more balace, but she will still only walk (in a sort of fashion) if I am holding both of her hands up above her head so she can't wobble about.
And even then she won't always do it, if she doesn't want to do it she just lifts her feet up off the floor and refuses to do it.

I've tried encouraging her with toys and food as well and she just throws herself on the floor in a tantrum rather than move her foot if I have one of her hands she can stand if she is stood up straight but she won't move.

Crawling was the same she took ages to learn to crawl because rolling was just easier, even after she had mastered army crawling she would still roll about the floor to get to places because it was easier.

The paediatrician says he has never heard of any baby who has learned to crawl and sit up and pull themselves up on furniture not to learn to walk so I want to know why they are pushing me and stressing me out to have her walking by the time she is 2 (actual, she will be 2 corrected at the end of july)

I mean, I can't see how it is going to make a difference having someone else coming in telling me stuff I already know- believe me, I know a ton more about preemies than they do, they are useless around here! She goes in her baby walker for maybe 10 mins a day, we really don't have room to use it much in here. I try and get her to walk while Im holding her hands when moving her about the room or to another room.
She won't use her push along trolley she just wants to press the buttons on it and if I try to encourage her to stand up holding the handle she has a melt down! :cry:
She is quite happy to pull herself up on the furniture and walk along them a little bit but its nothing adventurous, infact she is far FAR from adventurous all of the time, its even hard to get her to try new food because it's different!

Now I am going to have the health visitor back soon being all judgemental because Anna is still wobbly on her feet when holding on to her I just hate them coming in here talking to me like I know nothing like its my fault or something.
I just got rid of one HV who made it always like she thought I wasn't feeding Anna properly because of her size, she is still only 16lb something! (she would eat all day if she could though)

Maybe try an exercise ball, something she can push about but has no distracting buttons.

:hugs::hugs:

I don't think you can really force her to try and walk if she doesn't want to. We know how stubborn toddler's can be!

The only thing I can think off is trying to encourage her to pull up and cruise more and hope it leads to her letting go. Maybe put things on the sofa that you know she will want so she pulls herself up and then when she does move it to the other side so she walks across the sofa to get it.

I second the excersize ball. Alex walked about a lil older than Anna I think. I sat on my maternity ball and she walked from dad on the couch to the ball with a step or two. We did this for ages til I sat further back with the ball after a few times, made a game out of it.

At her age, it's still quite normal!

Thanks, voice of reason :)
I just wish the 'professionals' would see its normal and now even OH says just let the bloody OT come back and see her.

She can feed herself, clean her teeth, wash her hands and face with a babywipe/cloth, she puts her arms in the jacket herself and feet in trousers etc when your getting her dressed, tries to put her shoes on, loads of little things but only when SHE wants to and the HV asks to see what she can do, then she won't do it! Lol. Funny but frustrating.

Then theres the weighing. Agh. To be quite honest I don't care about her weight. I know she is healthy, active etc I just really really hope the paediatrician says I can get rid of the HV after our appointment next month! Lol

You have one nippy HV Hun!!! :haha:

I hate her. Hate them all. Maybe I wouldn't if they didn't harass me lol. I sooooo hope dr eccleston says I can stop the monthly weights she tries to make me do. LOL

Sounds like Anna wants to do things her way or no way @ all. I think she will walk in time and its just her personality and wanting to do things on her terms and thats ok,just give her time and she will do it once she is comforteble enough to walk independantly

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->