Shelby 7lbs 4.5oz and awffy long labour

gills8752

Mum of 2 Girl
Reaction score
Well, it started Thurs Morning (11th) I was due on the 12th. I woke up with an almighty period cramp that lasted what seemed like an age but probably wasn't :haha: That went away and I felt nothing for the next hour or so.
A hour or so later I started feeling more period cramps coming randomly which I thought were going to be the next few days of gentle cramps in preparation to contractions. Come the evening around 8pm they were coming every 7/8 minutes and hubby had started tracking them with his super fancy excel database and graphs (there is a thread here with them on somewhere :haha:)

I wasn't sure if they were contractions though as they just felt like strong period cramps to me. We went for a walk (around 11pm :haha:) to see what would happen to them and they got a lot stronger. When they got down to 3 in ten minutes we phoned the midwife unit to ask advice and they said to come in and get checked out as they were coming so frequently.
So around 2am we went in and I was examined and found to be 2cm. She offered me painkillers but I wasn't wanting to take any so I opted for the birthing pool. I jumped in there around 3/4am and spent a couple of hours there only for it to slow my labour down till the contractions had disappeared totally. I got out of the pool and nothing seemed to be coming back so we opted to go home and try start things up again. Got home around 9am, hubby went off to bed to try get some sleep and I tried to sleep on the sofa - I wasn't feeling very tired so didn't want to disturb hubby sleeping. Eventually I fell asleep on the sofa and woke a few hours later to an almighty contraction. I think it must have been around early afternoon by this point. I stayed up and walking around the living room and they started coming back with vengance. Hubby surfaced at some point and timed them again, they were back to 3 in ten minutes, so we thought since the pool put them off, lets, try a bath. Got the bath all ready, laptop on extension lead to time the contractions on contraction master.com, hubby had a blanket and pillow and we settled in the bathroom for a few hours to see what happened. 2 Hours later and many top ups of warm water the contractions had got really strong and lasting for nearly 2 mins, coming 3 in 10mins. We phoned the midwife unit back and said we were coming in. I was struggling with the pain now.

Arrived at the unit Friday night about 8pm and jumped straight into the pool, was absolute bliss!! With every contraction I could float my body and rotate my hips to my hearts delight. Come around 2am I was struggling with the pain again. The contractions had slowed down but when they came they were flipping painful. I'd reached the "i can't do this" stage and was hysterically crying and screaming and grunting "I'm not doing this anymore"

Hubby was very practical and urged me to make a choice. if I stayed in the pool - things weren't going anywhere but I didn't want out as it hurt so much. Eventually I got out and made my way back to my room. The second I got out they came flooding back every 2 minutes. I got examined in the room and was now 5cm. Senior midwife came through and asked if I'd like some pain relief now to which I grunted back "epidural!!!!!" she repsonded with "Morphine?" to which I screamed back "EPIDURAL!!!!!!!!" :haha:

40 minutes later I was grabbing a student midwifes hand whilst a contraction was happening at the same time as my epirdural was being put in. That was hard - trying to stay still whilst a contraction tears through your body!

A few minutes later though I was in bliss! No pain! :cloud9: Midwives let me progress naturally for the next few hours but again nothing seemed to be happening.The midwife then decided to let me progress on an induction drip (god knows what one I was totally out of it by now!) for 2 hours as is but come the 2nd hour at every contraction the baby's heart rate slowed and wouldn't pick back up. Half a dozen doctors flooded in and announced we needed baby out now. A doctor came back to explain all about forceps and episiotomys and got underway with it all. 6 minutes later Shelby was born - god knows how. I was totally numb and couldn't feel the pushing I was apparently doing :haha:

I ended up with an episiotomy and 2nd degree tears and lost about 1.2 litres of blood. But Shelby latched onto my boob like a professional the second she came out, then promptly pooped all over me!

Finally arrived at 10.18am Saturday 13th Feb 2010 at 7lb4.5oz

Forcep marks disappeared by the next morning and I escaped hospital on Sunday lunchtime - despite their efforts to keep me in and was bundled off with Iron tablets that make my poop black! :haha
p.s Despite forceps etc she scored 8 and 9 on her apgar! :happydance:

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/jamie_duff/13022010036.jpg

Aww congrats....Ive never seen a baby with forcep marks before! I must have had those I was a forcep baby apparantly. Well done :happydance:

Congratulations! The tear sounds awful :(
Shelby is gorgeous :cloud9:

Huge congratulations! Shelby is gorgeous! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back