shocking in this day and age

marley2580

Reaction score
that it is still considered newsworthy (and legitimate reporting) to speculate about a public figure's sexuality

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100902/tuk-uk-britain-hague-fa6b408.html

Think its awful. He is an MP and his sexuality is irrelevant. I wish him and his wife well

I agree, i think its ridiculous and extremely sad :(

The point isn't that he might be having a gay affair, the point is whether or not he inappropriately appointed an inexperienced advisor or not.

I do think its shocking to report on a minister's sexuality like this as it is invading his privacy and causing his family alot of hurt and distress. The main focus of this story is William Hague being accused of employing someone who wasn't fully qualified for the position as a special political adviser. The guy is prob not the most qualified person for the job and he prob got the job because he is a friend of william hague not his gay lover. He did show poor judgement by staying in a twin bedroom with the guy while out campaigning knowing what politics are like these days.

The point isn't that he might be having a gay affair, the point is whether or not he inappropriately appointed an inexperienced advisor or not.

I totally agree. So why are all the headlines about his sexuality?:shrug:

probably not the best move in the world to share a room with your under qualified friend who you happen to have employed but i feel really sorry for him that hes had to go into his personal life to justify why he was sharing the room xx

Call me callous but it would take a lot for me to feel sorry for William Hague, heck vile man. Perhaps his wife though.

On my phone so can't easily get the link but there's a more thorough article about this advisor issue in the Guardian today. The problem is that civil servants aren't allowed to be politically biased (one of the reasons I never applied to be one), but there is a swathe of these appointments that have been made that are all people from high up onthe campaign before the election.

The Mirror's speculating he might resign. I can't say I'd miss him...

I think it's better that they share a room if they are willing than spend twice as much on separate rooms! Very sad newspapers think people won't read unless there is some tv soap style drama attached!

To be honest I think it was inappropriate. I work for a charity and we would never be expected to share rooms. The Tories have millions of pound of funding from ginned of aristos and wealthy businessmen, it's not like they couldn't afford two rooms, which is why it looks so suspicious.

To be honest I think it was inappropriate. I work for a charity and we would never be expected to share rooms. The Tories have millions of pound of funding from ginned of aristos and wealthy businessmen, it's not like they couldn't afford two rooms, which is why it looks so suspicious.

unecessary maybe but not inappropriate imo. If they knew one another why is it such a shock that they shared a room? I share a room with my friends all the time when we stay in hotels etc :shrug:

If they were women i bet no one would have batted an eyelid.

I work for a large bank and have shared a hotel room because my friend was there... i don't understand why it's an issue :shrug:

He is a cabinet politician and at that time expected to be one. Constantly in the public eye with people questioning his judgement. It's not the same as sharing a room with a mate and it doesn't matter what gender they are (unless they were opposites). It's a professional working relationship with someone far his junior who he them employed as a highly paid personal advisor without the appropriate qualifications and experience required to fulfil the role. The whole thing is inappropriate. His foolish decision has now caused the younger guy quite a lot of damage.

He is a cabinet politician and at that time expected to be one. Constantly in the public eye with people questioning his judgement. It's not the same as sharing a room with a mate and it doesn't matter what gender they are (unless they were opposites). It's a professional working relationship with someone far his junior who he them employed as a highly paid personal advisor without the appropriate qualifications and experience required to fulfil the role. The whole thing is inappropriate. His foolish decision has now caused the younger guy quite a lot of damage.

its not the situation though that done that or even his decision, its the spin the media put on it that has caused both of the men involved a lot of damage if you ask me.

When you're a politician it comes with the job. He's been around long enough to know that.

If it doesnt really mattter whether he is gay or not, then why the fuss over speculating whether he was only hired as he was having a relationship with him? Surely the problem is that he didnt hire him for the right reasons (skill, knowledge, aptitude for the job) and not the reasons he did hire him for.
As far as im concerned if he hired him because they were very good friends or because he was having an affair with him it both means the same thing to me :shrug:
I think its pathetic that his personal life is being given more of a show than the political implications of it all.
Yet again a fine example of the media taking a legitimate story with real importance and interest and abusing it to make it into a seedy soap drama :nope:
And we wonder why noone in this country has the faintest idea or desire to know what goes on with their government :dohh:

I totally agree KrisKitten, this guy is just one in a string of inappropriate people that the cabinet has employed and the rest is being overshadowed by this tabloid reporting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->