Shot squirted out :/

WantsALittle1

Reaction score
LO just had her 4 month visit yesterday. The nurse injected her left leg with the DTaP shot and as she pulled the needle out, LO flexed her leg and a jet of vaccine squirted out of little hole in LO's leg. The jet was about 1 inch high and the nurse just put the bandaid right onto it.

I expressed my concern about the leakage and that I was concerned LO had not gotten enough of the vaccine fluid, but the nurse kept saying it was fine. She said she didn't see the jet but that vaccines leak. I reiterated that it seemed like a lot of fluid to me and she said again it was fine. I eventually stopped protesting :/

The word on the internet seems to be that when there is leakage the shot should be re-done, but the nurse was pretty adamant. Do you think LO got enough to be protected?

Thanks in advance x

I've personally given hundreds of injections and lots of them have some small amount of fluid leakage. It may seen a lot but the majority has been injected deep in to the muscle and the fluid that comes out is the small amount in the tract of the needle. the injection wouldn't be given again as it would be dangerous. Works along the same lines of giving a baby paracetamol and then they throw up, you couldn't give another dose until the 4 hours has passed. I'm sure your LO will have gotten enough of the vaccine , try not to worry xxx

Thank you so much, that is very reassuring! The nurse didn't mention to me that giving another small "make-up" shot would have been dangerous, so I'm happy to know that's probably why she wanted to leave it be x

Also, today LO has about 1cm of redness around the DTaP injection site, so to me that's a good sign that enough of the DTaP must have gotten in to cause a little site reaction (right?). Nurse said to do warm compresses and acetaminophen if the site reaction makes her fussy, but it doesn't seem to bother LO at all today--she is smiling and laughing, my sunshiney little girl!

Exactly. A small red mark or a lump shows the vaccine is in there so all good :) glad it's not bothering your LO and hopefully your mind is a little more at rest xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->