Should formula milk be supplied in hospitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want the NHS to provide my Breast Pads and Lanolin dammit :brat: :brat: :brat:

They do here...and diapers, wipes, lotion, soap and shampoo....AND formula....butt is very frowned upon.

I want the NHS to provide my Breast Pads and Lanolin dammit :brat: :brat: :brat:

You need breast pads regardless of how you feed in the first few days. And you can lanolin cream on prescription (although it is a medical need so different but just pointing out incase people aren't aware).

Is this newly on prescription or does it maybe vary in area? I asked for it on prescription (my nipples were cracked and bleeding) after a midwife gave me a sachet in hospital but was told it wasn't on prescription. Unless my drs just went aware of it since breastfeeding is really low in this area.

I had to buy mine,best tenner I ever spent :thumbup:
I still use it now for chapped lips!

I completely agree was worth the money! It was a complete lifesaver. I used it on patches of my sons eczema when he was a baby too :)

My hospital provided everything. I didn't really need to even take a bag with me. They provided nappies, clothes, nipple cream, milk, wipes...the lot.

I'm not sure if they only provide milk is breastfeeding was unsuccessful. I tried breastfeeding for 2 days and it just wasn't happening. My nipples were so sore and bleeding, I dreaded the next feed. I didn't have much support either - I couldn't let my LO starve so I resorted to FF. I didn't feel guilty though like most mums seem to be if they fail. I did what was right for us. My hospital provided the milk and enough for the next few days (shops close at 8 and I left quite late).

They can afford it though, so why not?

My hospital provided everything too (well apart from nipple cream) but we do pay a daily charge for hospital stays here.

I was not allowed to take my own formula and had no interest in bf. It was all provided for me .

If you've made the choice for FF, something which you've no doubt decided on in advance, I actually think its then very irresponsible as future parents to 'forget' to take your baby's food into hospital.

In that instance, I would say the NHS should supply 1 feed only and your partner sent away immediately to get your baby's food.

Forgetting is not a good enough reason.

ITs not about forgetting. I only had a baby in February and was not allowed to take our milk in!

If you've made the choice for FF, something which you've no doubt decided on in advance, I actually think its then very irresponsible as future parents to 'forget' to take your baby's food into hospital.

In that instance, I would say the NHS should supply 1 feed only and your partner sent away immediately to get your baby's food.

ITs not about forgetting. I only had a baby in February and was not allowed to take our milk in!

If you're not allowed to take milk in, then that's fine as obviously your trust wishes to spend the money there.

However, that was not the scenario put to the thread by PP, hence the reply you quoted :thumbup:

No I don't think they should provide it!

My first was breastfed for a week and the formula fed so the hospital didn't supply any. Their were reasons why I ff and it was the right decision as he was sick but it's long so won't go into it here.

My twins I tried one was a champ the other couldn't latch, they were unsupportive and made me hand express milk for the one who didn't feed which took an hour easy so I was constantly feeding, eventually I switched to formula although I did continue to combination feed my champ when no one was around, because they said I shouldn't. They supplied the milk for free and I wast allowed my own! Stupid.

The money should be spent on more staff and educating them so they would have spotted that one twin was tongue tied and therefore couldn't latch and maybe I could have fed both or at least a bit longer.

With my other 2 I didnt even check. I do think a days worth should be provided :)

She said they dont allow it? It's not a small hospital either. Its where they filmed obem. Health and safety apparently? I said I had the box of ready bottles but she said it didn't matter.

She said they dont allow it? It's not a small hospital either. Its where they filmed obem. Health and safety apparently? I said I had the box of ready bottles but she said it didn't matter.

that's just bizarre

(remember only less than 1% truly CAN'T breastfeed)

Do you have a credible source for that statistic? I see it tossed around every once in a while on BnB but i'm curious to know where that figure even comes from. Thanks!

Do you have a credible source for that statistic? I see it tossed around every once in a while on BnB but i'm curious to know where that figure even comes from. Thanks!

From what I understand, this "source" only takes into account mothers who do not produce milk - at all. It doesn't take into account low supply, latching issues (tongue tie, lip tie) or mental health issues such as PND which further complicate things. I'm tired of seeing the statistic thrown around, because it's irrelevant without further explanation.

It's the statistically estimated percent of the population that suffers from either hypoplasia or a medically acute hormonal imbalance that results in insufficient milk production (and the second is a statistically negligible percent of the population, so mostly hypoplasia). Neifert 1985, 1987, 1990. I'm pretty sure there was a more recent piece of literature on it, but I can't seem to find it by searching my Mendeley. The rest of actual breastfeeding "failures" are accounted for under the category of failure due to poor breastfeeding management, where a mother wishing to breastfeed would have had a successful breastfeeding outcome with the proper support, information, and specialized care.

From what I understand, this "source" only takes into account mothers who do not produce milk - at all. It doesn't take into account low supply, latching issues (tongue tie, lip tie) or mental health issues such as PND which further complicate things. I'm tired of seeing the statistic thrown around, because it's irrelevant without further explanation.

Not quite-- it accounts for the biological reasons of low supply. It discounts low supply caused by mismanagement of bf, which honestly, I think is fair. In a world where bf is given real priority and not just lip service, these infant physiological issues would be diagnosed and treated quickly, as in within the first hour of birth. PND should ideally also receive better diagnosis and support. I think the limitation of the statistic is that it's reality depends on sufficiently educated medical practitioners, which as of today is unrealistic. But as a hard scientific stat, it's still true that the percentage of the population biologically incapable of sufficient lactation is incredibly low compared to either the current bf rate (~50%, depending on which country you're looking at) and the current rate of mothers reporting that they wanted to bf and were unable to (~15%, also depending on which country you're looking at; this stat most accurately reflects the US population).

PS. as of 1990, the stat was 1.5%. I don't know if this stat has been updated post 1990, but I wanted to be transparent.

I agree, plus, some people have babies early and unexpected. Mine were all either 2 or 3 weeks early...and I wasnt packed!

The whole 'fair is fair' attitude is laughable. Alot of the time hardly any money is spent and some of it is sent by formula companies. The NHS hospitals would hardly change into Portland after saving a few pounds. Personally I was not interested in other patients and what they got. I stayed in hospital for 3 days and my baby probably drank less than 6oz. Wow bet that cost a fortune!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"