• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should formula milk be supplied in hospitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. If the nhs was in a better position financially I would have no problem with formula being given out in the hospital to new mums who choose to use it. Heck if this were the case then there would probably be better post natal support as a whole, for all mums regardless of feeding method.

I just don't understand why it would bother someone so much. If the NHS gave out breastpads or pumps to bf mums it wouldnt really bother me so I cant understand why people are so fussed by procedures. I don't think its the cost that really bothers people.

Because I don't think the NHS should be endorsing formula feeding.

To the point! I have to say I agree...

I don't take issue with formula feeding but I don't think it should be something that's available to a new mom and newborn as 'easily' as breastmilk. I think that formula feeding should be promoted as an alternative to breastfeeding if there is a problem. I believe that it's the responsibility of health care professionals to relay the message that breastfeeding is the norm and not just a feeding choice that is on par with formula.

Obviously I think people should still be able to choose not to breastfeed if they so wish, but I don't think anyone should cater to that choice. You're making the choice to spend money on something that is otherwise free. Why should the NHS or whoever else have to pay for that? You may not see it as being a huge cost but it's a cost nonetheless.

I'd also point out that for the most part, we're talking about the first few days of life here, when a bf baby would be getting colostrum. I would say in terms of benefits, colostrum is the most important part and even if you're unquestionably going to ff for whatever reason, I don't think it's too much to expect everyone to commit to nursing for 2-3 days. :shrug:

I just don't understand why it would bother someone so much. If the NHS gave out breastpads or pumps to bf mums it wouldnt really bother me so I cant understand why people are so fussed by procedures. I don't think its the cost that really bothers people.

Because I don't think the NHS should be endorsing formula feeding.

Why?

I'd also point out that for the most part, we're talking about the first few days of life here, when a bf baby would be getting colostrum. I would say in terms of benefits, colostrum is the most important part and even if you're unquestionably going to ff for whatever reason, I don't think it's too much to expect everyone to commit to nursing for 2-3 days. :shrug:

No, that would be rubbish. We have a right to feed our babies however we want. I chose to ff my two DD and didn't attempt to bf as had no no interest. I still needed support though and my hospital stays would have been awful had I been made to do something I didnt want to do. Milk is provided because we have a choice and sometimes people change their mind.

If it is a case of costs (cutting out the things that other people can fund) then there are SO MANY more prevelant cases of things the nhs could cut than formula milk for newborn babies. Yesterday I was watching Daybreak and there was a lady who had a £4k boob job on the NHS (thats fine, maybe she had her reasons...self esteem etc) and tried to make it as a model afterwards. Anyways, it didnt work out how she wants and now she wants the NHS to fund a £4.5k boob reduction. So if she is approved that will be nearly £9k in wasted tax payers NHS funding.

Seems an extreme example but my point is, where do you draw the line? The NHS is under massive pressure but money is being wasted in other areas (such as the above example) and I think to say that stopping formula to newborns is ludicrous when there are many other things that could be cut back on.

For the record, I FF ds1 in hospital and BF ds2 so I have experienced both sides of it.

It's the cost of formula + the reprocussions of FF too that's costing the NHS millions of ££££ a year, money better spent on BF support & advice.

It still doesn't take away someone's CHOICE to go down the artificial feeding method but it in no way should be endorsed.

The cost of bottle feeding to the NHS

Gastro-enteritis is up to 10 times more common among bottle-fed babies. The hospitalisation of one infant with gastro-enteritis costs between £500 and £1000. The hospital mentioned above was out of pocket after 4 babies returned for treatment of gastro-enteritis. Department of Health statistics reveal that 11,554 babies were hospitalised with gastro-enteritis in the UK in 1992. This cost the NHS aprox £12 million. Cases of gastro-enteritis treated by GPs cost the NHS a further £6 million. Breastfed babies are rarely hospitalised for gastro-enteritis.

Breastfeeding also protects against many other diseases and infections all of which incur costs to the NHS and distress to families. For example, bottle fed babies are twice as likely to suffer from respiratory infections. 49,000 babies were hospitalised with respiratory infections in 1992. Source: Protective effect of breastfeeding against infection. Howie et al., BMJ 1990 336

Breastfeeding is better for mothers too and studies have shown that it reduces the risk of pre-menopausal breast cancer. Source. Lactation and a reduced risk of pre-menopausal breast cancer. Newcombe et al. The New England Journal of Medicine. 1994; 330. Breastfeeding and a risk of breast cancer in young women. Chilvers - UKNCCSG, BMJ 1993 307.

https://www.babymilkaction.org/pages/uklaw.html#9

It's the cost of formula + the reprocussions of FF too that's costing the NHS millions of ££££ a year, money better spent on BF support & advice.

It still doesn't take away someone's CHOICE to go down the artificial feeding method but it in no way should be endorsed.

Gastro-enteritis is up to 10 times more common among bottle-fed babies. The hospitalisation of one infant with gastro-enteritis costs between £500 and £1000. The hospital mentioned above was out of pocket after 4 babies returned for treatment of gastro-enteritis. Department of Health statistics reveal that 11,554 babies were hospitalised with gastro-enteritis in the UK in 1992. This cost the NHS aprox £12 million. Cases of gastro-enteritis treated by GPs cost the NHS a further £6 million. Breastfed babies are rarely hospitalised for gastro-enteritis.

Breastfeeding also protects against many other diseases and infections all of which incur costs to the NHS and distress to families. For example, bottle fed babies are twice as likely to suffer from respiratory infections. 49,000 babies were hospitalised with respiratory infections in 1992. Source: Protective effect of breastfeeding against infection. Howie et al., BMJ 1990 336

Breastfeeding is better for mothers too and studies have shown that it reduces the risk of pre-menopausal breast cancer. Source. Lactation and a reduced risk of pre-menopausal breast cancer. Newcombe et al. The New England Journal of Medicine. 1994; 330. Breastfeeding and a risk of breast cancer in young women. Chilvers - UKNCCSG, BMJ 1993 307.

Is this turning into a debate about how much morefantastic BF is than FF?

And just to say, the statistics you quoted are from 1992...hardly relevant now. They were from a time when formula preperation was MUCH MUCH MUCH less rigid. I'd be interested in an up to date figure? Can't say I have personally ever heard of a baby being hospitalised for being FF.

And just to say, the statistics you quoted are from 1992...hardly relevant now. They were from a time when formula preperation was MUCH MUCH MUCH less rigid. I'd be interested in an up to date figure? Can't say I have personally ever heard of a baby being hospitalised for being FF.

Geez! if this is ur 1st is sure hope u CAN bf as ur so quick to throw stats and bf lectures in peoples face!:dohh:

i find some of ur posts incredibly ignorant.

No, that would be rubbish. We have a right to feed our babies however we want. I chose to ff my two DD and didn't attempt to bf as had no no interest. I still needed support though and my hospital stays would have been awful had I been made to do something I didnt want to do. Milk is provided because we have a choice and sometimes people change their mind.

I agree with you here it is a choice and I don't think mums should be forced to even try bf if they don't want to.

But if you know you're going to ff from the off I really don't think it's unreasonable to be expected to provide your own milk. Changing your mind at the last minute is fair enough and obviously the nhs isn't going to let a baby starve and in these cases milk would be provided but they'd also encourage you to get someone (parner, parent etc) to go out and buy some and bring it in for you.

I'd be willing to bet that formula milk provided in hospitals costs way more than £9k a year. There are things being cut which would be considered necessary. Nurses on wards for example, even on the maternity ward whilst I was in hospital with LO there were no where near enough midwives and they seemed very over worked and yet they are still freely providing formula when it really isn't difficult for those who know that they are going to formula feed from the off to bring their own in to last those first few days.

Updated figures show it actually costs the NHS more, now a days. About £40m a year could be saved if BF rates were improved (this takes into account women's problems etc as well as babies).

If 45% of babies were exclusively breastfed for four months and if 75% of babies in neonatal units were breastfed when they were sent home, more than 3,000 fewer babies would end up in hospital with gastroenteritis, nearly 6,000 fewer babies would be in hospital with respiratory illness, there would be 21,000 fewer visits with babies to GPs for ear infections, and 361 fewer cases of potentially fatal necrotising enterocolitis. The NHS would save more than £17m.

https://m.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/oct/18/increase-breastfeeding-nhs-savings-unicef

We all have a choice to make on feeding method, and of course being a trained Food Scientist and Nutritionist I do believe breastmilk is the best choice for me to give my daughter. The FF route should never be taken away from anyone as this is sometimes a choice made too for the benefit of individual needs, my point though is that the Health Care industry shouldn't endorse the FF method because it costs millions......and it all starts by giving away easy accessible artificial formula to a newborn.

Sue, have you even ever bf?!!!

This is noy an argument about how much babies care cost! I actually bf my first who has since been diagnosed with autism and cost the NHS far more than any of my daughters. Its irrelevant though.

iv asked to close this thread. i didnt want it to become a crusade to make people feel cr^p about their decisions.

Geez! if this is ur 1st is sure hope u CAN bf as ur so quick to throw stats and bf lectures in peoples face!:dohh:

i find some of ur posts incredibly ignorant.

It's not about giving a BF lecture and I'm not, but you can't argue that formula feeding isn't costing the NHS money :shrug:. They're not ignorant either.

Yes I hope to breastfeed, and yes she's my first.

Do I expect my boobs to work like magic and it all be a sea of happy smiles and rainbows......absolutely not. I expect it to be bloody hard work with tears and pain and the want to give up.

That being said I have already seen BF support workers, and a lactation consultant to help me on the journey before she's here.

I am lucky my NHS trust in my county provide such services, and we need money to provide those services around the country to help those that choose this method but give up too quickly as there's no support, guidance and help.

All choices of cause should be supported, but I disagree with providing money costing artificial formula when you can provide that yourself.

The complete ignorance of some people is astounding.

And as I said, I have experienced it from both sides so have an INFORMED opinion.

I don't think anyone has intentionally made anyone feel bad about their decisions, this is a debate and all views have been put across pretty well imo. I've seen a lot worse!

Its only the same old people Personally I value peoples real experiences over what someone intends to do.

Closed as per member request.

I will be reviewing the thread today also. Some people jut can't help themselves eh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"