Should I be feeding from both?

jessicatunnel

Reaction score
LO is 3 days old and currently only feeds from one breast at a time. Occasionally he will feed from both but not often. He usually feeds for about fifteen minutes, then I will burp him, change him, etc and put him back on the same breast to continue feeding. At the next feed ill alternate breasts. My question is, is this okay? Or should I be offering the second breast after I change him/burp him instead of the same breast he was feeding on before? Also, he never empties either breast, I have a lot of milk and he gets full before he can empty them. I'm not uncomfortable or crazy engorged so I haven't really thought much about it, but is that a problem that he's not emptying them?

Always offer the other boob, if he doesn't take it then don't worry. Just follow your baby's lead!

My lo is 5 weeks and still only drinks from one boob each time. Rarely will she go on the other xx

We did it exactly the way you describe. Millie has always been a one boob kind of girl....no problems here :thumbup:

I had too much milk until about 6-8 weeks when my milk supply levelled out. Apparently that's pretty common. My daughter never really emptied a boob before that :)

As pp have said it will be a while before he empties them completely.

My LO always had only one boob up until about 6 months. Now he demands both before he's satisfied. Just follow your LO's lead!

DD is almost 6 months and has been a one boob girl the whole time. She's growing great. I did offer both for a while but stopped after about a month bc she'd never take it. I do have abundant supply, though, which I am so thankful for.

As pp have said it will be a while before he empties them completely.

My LO always had only one boob up until about 6 months. Now he demands both before he's satisfied. Just follow your LO's lead!

Exactly this ^^ LO was at least 6/7 months before he decided that 2 boobs was the only acceptable option!

Holly used to only ever feed off one. I would offer but don't worry if he refuses it as he will probably be getting enough from the one breast at a time :thumbup:

Thanks So much girls! I offer the second breast but he rarely takes it. He seems happy with the one so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing!

My MW said one boob is normally enough for the first 2 weeks. But you can offer the second. Ds1 I did what you're not supposed to do and did 15 mins each side pulling him off, he never "drained" one boob, he would stay on one forever and I wouldn't know if he was still feeding, so I let him do 15 mins each side then pulled him off. He was 75th/91st centile and a content baby so that was fine. This time DS2 is not a booby baby at all, he's a very quick feeder and will drain one boob and pull himself off in 10 mins most of the time, he would go 4+ hours between feeds easily if I didn't try and encourage him to feed a little more. I offer the second but he usually gets angry! But again he is on the 75th. It's amazing how different babies can be. But if you and baby are happy it sounds fine to me!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->