Should I be having a period 8 weeks after delievery?

BrittLeblanc

Pregnant 2nd trimster
Reaction score
So about 5 days ago I started (i guess) my period. I wasn't to sure if this was suppose to happen right now? After I had my son I believe I only bleed about 4 maybe 4 1/2 weeks. But I thought maybe it was a little to soon. I'm a little worried.

I just had my period last week (my LO is 9 weeks now) and thankfully it wasn't as heavy as they normally are! It did mean I had to move my postnatal check though Lol.
I bled quite heavy for the first week after LO was born, then it tailed off, stayed off for a few days and was on and off for about 4 weeks I think.

Everyone's body is going to be different though. I slowed down expressing and then stopped. Are you expressing/breastfeeding?

As far as I am aware (maybe I have got it wrong) it is if you are exclusively BFing or expressing all LOs feeds that your period doesnt come back until you stop and the longer you BF the longer it can take to return?

You can have your period even if you are breastfeeding. Providing you don't have any clots then I would say you have started your monthly cycle. If u have any concerns speak to your gp or nhs direct.

I do have some small dark clots but for some reason each time I have my period I have those small clots. I believe mostly all my periods even before i was pregnant.

I always get small clots in my period, they are always Really heavy and I always go a bit anaemic during them. I had been prescribed the pill ages ago it did help when I remembered to take it Lol! But I will be getting some sort of 'longer term' contraception now I am not expressing, just got to choose one that is more likely to make my bleeding ligher or stop rather than heavier! Lol I was looking forward to at least 9 months no periods I feel a bit cheated out of that one haha

Sounds like a period hun. They usually put in an appearance 6wks after giving birth if you're not breastfeeding. You stopped around 2/3wks ago which makes sense that your period should return around now.

I expressed for 5 months for my daughter, and periods only returned when I stopped. I am expressing now for the twins, and period hasn't returned yet - babies are 8wks old. I bled for 6wks, stopped, then started again for a week - thankfully all post natal bleeding has now stopped altogether. x

I had my first one 10 weeks after LO was born despite expressing all those weeks. It actually started the day I started breastfeeding...

The bleeding I had after the c-section was pretty weired, heavy for a few days then really coming and going a lot for the next 2-3 weeks before suddenly stopping.

Thanks girls! I was getting worried something was going on lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->