Should I be worried 20 week scan

embeth

Mum to 4 perfect children
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just had 20 wk scan. Bub was all good and def a girly but she has asked me to come back in a week as she couldn't see the celebellum?? In the brain. Said its just the position the baby was in. Is this common? Feeling a little anxious .. Anyone any experience? Xx

yeah it's really common for people to be asked to come back, can be for loads of different reasons. I have to go back because she couldn't see all 4 chambers of the heart because baby was lying on it's front, a friend of mine was asked back because she couldn't see the lips so couldn't rule out cleft lip so I really wouldn't worry. It is usually completely fine but they can't sign off on everything being ok unless they can see it :)

With my daughter I had my scan at 19+1, they couldn't get the measurements they needed with her heart, so I went back at 21 weeks and everything was fine! I know loads of people who've had to go back for more measurements it's very common x

Thanku x hopefully will
Be fine these things just make me worry!!

I've seen lots of people on here that had to go back because something or other couldn't be seen. Spine, face, heart, brain, etc. Everything has always been fine!

With my first I had to go back, except they didn't even tell me why. I was super freaked out, turns out the first tech I had did such an awful job I needed the whole scan redone. They want to make sure they can see everything before signing off on healthy baby, so every little detail matters.

Now you just get to see your little girl again!

Yeah I had to go back with my first DD as they couldn't see her spine. Went back the second time all was fine. She's almost 2 so she's fine :)

Yep, sometimes they just don't want to cooperate! I had to go back so they could see his face and diaphragm :) I wasn't worried, he is an active little man!

Thanks all. I am a little worried she spent so so long looking at the heart.. Anyone else found this with the 20 week scan?? Hopefully all will
Be good when we go back xx

The heart was what took the longest during mine too. They check all the valves, major arteries, and all 4 chambers.

Hey all,

Just had 20 wk scan. Bub was all good and def a girly but she has asked me to come back in a week as she couldn't see the celebellum?? In the brain. Said its just the position the baby was in. Is this common? Feeling a little anxious .. Anyone any experience? Xx

I had a similar issue with dd, but with the heart. My Dr. said they have you come back if baby is not cooperating and they cant get a good look. Went back and everything was just fine. Doesn't mean anything is wrong, just that your little stinker wasn't being cooperative.:brat:

Yeah. I have to go back at 28 weeks for the same reason. That and the heart. little booger wasn't being cooperative at all for a good part of her measurements and what not.

The heart was what took the longest during mine too. They check all the valves, major arteries, and all 4 chambers.

Yep, the heart takes the longest as they're inspecting so many parts, it can be a little unnerving.

Thanks everyone xxx

She definitely measures something in the head not sure what it was.. We are having a private anatomy scan Saturday so hopefully I'll be able to stop obsessing after that!! X

With my first, the baby was snuggled down low in my pelvis with arms and legs crossed. We were team yellow, but because of positioning, they couldn't have done gender anyway. The ultrasound tech even had me drink orange juice and do some jumping jacks to try to get the baby to move so they could get all the measurements they needed... No luck. I had to come back for a re-scan of the heart and measurements for the limbs. I was just excited to get to see my baby two appointments in a row!

Thank u.. I guess I was just a bit confused as she didn't mention at any point in the scan that baby was in an awkward position or appear to be trying to get a good view on the brain.. It was literally all looking at the heart! I'm keeping my fingers crossed all
Will be well tomorrow and baby will be in a good position! X

Oh yeah, it seems pretty common.. I had 3 people scan me at 18 weeks and they stared and stared at the heart, I think we were there like 3 hrs and they had me come back and everything was perfect. Got some more great ultrasound pictures too! My first was so easy, I feel like every ultrasound was like 30 min tops and he was always cooperative..this one is always in a bad position for the ultrasounds, little handful already :p

I've had the discussion with ladies about sonographers taking so long to look at the heart. One lady even asked at the scan why and the sonographer said that they can't make sure everything is ok from one quick glance. For a example a murmur may not happen in the first few beats.

My sonographer also spent ages on the heart and she still didn't see everything. I had to keep jumping up and down to move baby as she was in the wrong position. I was told 'one more try of me jumping up and down and if baby is still in the wrong position I would have had to go back. Luckily she moved on the last jump.

Be pleased that they spent forever looking at the heart :) I've seen some sonographers rushing people and it's such an important measurement. Also you get to see bubs again so that's a positive! Babies often don't adopt the perfect position for scanning all the little bits and loads of people have to go for a walk or rebook the appointent. don't worry! x

I was also asked to come back in couple weeks for another scan. They couldn't see all 4 chambers of the heart at once and she needed a couple more pictures. Baby turned so her back was up and wouldn't switch positions. Can't help but worry but they said everything looked great. They just have to have those pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->