Should I buy a pump?

Wannabe Mommy

Pregnant FTM
Reaction score
Hello

Only 13 weeks pg with 1st baby but have decided I really want to BF. Should I buy a pump before birth or wait to see if I need one later?

I bought a cheap manual pump, the tommee Tippee one as it was about £12 on offer, so that if breastfeeding wasn't for me, it wasn't a waste of money. Then, when LO was about 3/4 months, I got an electric and have been using it ever since x

I bought a manual One when I was pregnant with my first 2. Used it for a short time when I couldnt breastfeed. (I couldn't latch them on properly) x

I did because I work craft shows once a month and ds would be away from me. I needed a freezer stash and also to relieve engorgement. LO was also addmitted at 6 days old due to jaundice (very high bilirubin levels). I supplemented with formula while he was there because it helps get rid of the jaundice fast. I had to pump when he ate every 2 hours to keep my milk supply established. It was a lot better than having to hunt down a pump at the hospital every 2 hours for 2 days.

YES YES YES I got a manual pump. Theres always possibly issues where you will need to pump. My problem is my right nipple sprayed out like a fire hose and my daughter chokes so she mainly eats off the left so I have to pump twice a day. Also the foremilk if she hasnt fed in awhile if she drinks too much she throws it all up so I usually pump it out real quick first.

I also recommend a manual pump. I like the Madela. When LO turned 4 weeks, I pumped so that DH could bottle feed her while I got some sleep. I don't use the pump that often, but every once in awhile I pump in the morning and add to my freezer stash. A freezer stash is highly recommended. You'd want some milk available in case you get sick and have to take medicine that you cannot breastfeed with.

Fortune my daughter has that same onesie your daughter has on in her picture! Love it!

Also a freezer stash is great BUT make sure its not full on pumping if you really dont need the stash. Just do some here or there. I got a clogged duct and mastasis and it was the worst thing ever that could happen to me while having a newborn.

I was so lucky and am borrowing a good friend's electric pump. Compared to the manual pimp, which I used with my first boy, it is amazing! So efficient and it is hands free so you can feed and pump at the same time.

But they are very expensive, so look for one you can rent if that's possible in your area. Sooo worth it if you are able to establish breastfeeding, but I'd wait until right after baby is born to rent one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->