Should I even attempt to plan this?

NawlinsMama

Mummy to 1, due Nov 27
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm very new to this section, having never considered myself eligible for a home birth. My husband is Navy, and I've just discovered that Tricare covers home births through any local certified nurse-midwife. So now I'm curious, and hoping I can find some guidance from all of you brave home-birthing mamas!
So, given the following, do you think that I should even approach the home birthing idea?

1. I have high blood pressure. It's under control (even a little low) with medication, and it never spiked during my DDs birth.

2. DD had to be induced at 42 weeks. It took massive amounts of pitocin to even get my water to break. That being said, I didn't have an epidural (and only one dose of IV pain meds, because the nurse was paranoid about my blood pressure going up from the pain...which it didn't.)

3. I was in labor with DD for a grand total of about an hour and a half.

4. I hemorrhaged quite spectacularly for about five minutes after DD's birth.

I would love, love, love, to have my next baby at home, especially if I could do a water birth. I just don't want to get my hopes up what with all of these issues. Especially because after rereading what I've written, I realize that I sound pretty crazy for not just parking myself next to the OB's house for the next 6 months. :sad2:

What do you ladies think? Could I find someone crazy enough to give me just a chance at a home birth?

I would find a couple of midwives in your area and talk to them. They are trained to handle complications so don't let your blood pressure stop you. If a midwife feels your situation should be handled medically they will tell you. They only have your best interest at heart.

Hi Samantha,

I have my first OB appointment on May 10th, and it just so happens to be with the hospital's midwife. I'm going to speak with her about it then, but I've heard that she's less inclined to encourage the choice of natural birthing than most other midwives, so I might speak to some other in my area as well. Thanks for the advice!

Personally I would seek put a midwife who isn't associated with a doctor. There is such a huge bias in this county again natural non medicated births in the medical community. Because they have no idea what a birth without intervention looks like. It's free to make set up a meeting midwife to check her out and have a chat. When you research some statistics you will be gobsmacked and even a little angry. If you haven't seen The Business of Being Born. Please watch it. You should also read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->