Should I get a cover?

9jawife

Mom of one
Reaction score
I didn't buy a nursing cover before DS was born because I thought it would make it look like I was ashamed of nursing. Now that he's here, I do feel embarrassed sometimes simply because it takes awhile to get a good latch. I am a huge proponent of the idea that nursing should be a normal part of society like it is in so many other cultures, but on the other hand I don't want my nipples hanging out for the world to see! Any thoughts?

I'd suggest trying one (a friend's? family member's?) for a feed to see if it works for you. A lot of people swear by them but honestly I find that I flash the world even more trying to fiddle with yet another thing. I always have a burp cloth handy and just cover my breast if the baby unlatches for a moment. I also sometimes get embarrassed but I'm sure no one gets worked up by someone who is obviously trying to be reasonably discreet.

I use many things as "covers" but don't own one that was designed to be a cover.

I typically double layer (wear a nursing tank top and a shirt over it). That way, I can pull up my top layer and still don't feel exposed.

I often nurse in a sling. She sleeps in the sling when I'm out too so it's very discrete when she eats as it doesn't look any different (a cover can scream "hey I'm breastfeeding!"). I just pull up my top shirt and pop the boob in her mouth.

It I do use a cover (often during times I want extra coverage or when I'm having trouble getting her to latch) I just take a baby blanket (typically a thin security blanket) and wrap the corner around my bra/nursing tank to anchor it. It just drapes over her and I have room to adjust her underneath.

I've also used the burp cloth to cover quickly or a scarf to cover her if I'm wearing one.

I'm having a similar problem and decided to go ahead and buy a cover (just ordered it actually). I'm a pretty shy person and I get embarrassed when I breastfeed if I'm not covered so I'm hoping this will help me feel more comfortable.

If you're thinking about buying a cover you might try Udder Covers. My cousin also just had a baby and that's what she uses and really likes it. I just ordered one off their site and if you use the code "PJBABY" all you'll have to pay is $12 for shipping.

Good luck!

I wear two tops.

A tank top underneath a jumper.

I pull down the tank & bra exposing my boob under my jumper. I then position LO in front of my boob and then gently pull up my jumper, once my nipple is out Millie practically jumps on.

I then pull the jumper down round her face and hold onto it, then if she happens to launch herself backwards I can quickly pull the jumper over. Works a treat.

My LO HATES anything over her head, so I would be weary of that before spending a fortune.

I do the whole two tops thing or use a muslin to cover me over the best I can :)

I'm having a similar problem and decided to go ahead and buy a cover (just ordered it actually). I'm a pretty shy person and I get embarrassed when I breastfeed if I'm not covered so I'm hoping this will help me feel more comfortable.

If you're thinking about buying a cover you might try Udder Covers. My cousin also just had a baby and that's what she uses and really likes it. I just ordered one off their site and if you use the code "PJBABY" all you'll have to pay is $12 for shipping.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! I just ordered mine. What a great deal!

I used my cover when my very conservative ILs were visiting, and now when I pump in the car. Using two tops to NIP was WAY more convenient and also attracted way less attention compared to using a cover.

I was a little nervous the first few times, but now not so much. I just had to get over myself a bit. No one stares! I wear very discreet nursing shirts though, or the shirt-with-tank getup. It's discreet :)

Even tho i have bf three babies now, i still feel the way you do! I wish i didnt, but i do! I agree a muslin might work, unfortunately my baby hates being covered up by a blanket and gets fussy when i try and nip, so i just pump and givehp him my bm in a bottle, hes exclusively nursed at home:)

I have a cover, will be using it in public with this bub ( long way away yet lol ) my DS2 was a sticky beak, so head suckle for 5 minutes pop off to look at me or around everyone else. So it helped make him less distracted and I didn't have my nipples out for the whole world to see :haha: I didn't get the hang of getting him to latch well without having my whole boob shown. It just made my life easier :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->