Should I look for a new OBGYN?

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive #1' started by Chickadeedee, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Chickadeedee

Chickadeedee Well-Known Member

I have been going to the same doctors office for well over 5 years. I don't see the actual doctor there, but a nurse practioner (I think that is what her title is....) They told me when I started going there that if I were to ever become pregnant, they would then switch me to one of the MD's.

So, I had a normal appointment in June, which is when I told her that I was officially going off the pill and starting TTC. We talked a bit about using other forms of BC for a few months until my cycle straightened itself out, and she fitted me for a diaphram to use for a few months and wished me luck.

That's it. The end. :shrug:

She never said another word. I guess I feel like she just didn't care. I feel like my OBGYN should be a little more "invested" in my getting a BFP. Am I wrong? She gave me not indication as to how long I should TTC before I look into possible fertility help. She didn't offer to prescribe me a vitamin. She didn't mention any type of testing. She didn't give me any advice on what things/foods/activities, etc. to avoid.

I just feel like she sort of checked out on me and left me hanging. I was really looking for advice from her as I am 36 (soon to be 37), have NEVER tried to conceive before, and my husband is quite a bit older and has had testicular cancer (with radiation)...

My question is, would you look for a new doctor at this time???? :shrug:

2. ameeann

ameeann Well-Known Member

Yes! Lol deffo go to a doctor and not a nurse practitioner if i were you! Seen as you have a few things that rent "normal" in this situation (radiation etc) they deffo should have talked to you! Even my nurse practitioner has spoke to me about folic acid and pre natal vits etc!! X hope that helps!

3. readyORnot

readyORnot widowed mother of 2

i second what ameeann said

4. carelove07

carelove07 Well-Known Member

I believe if you don't feel like all your questions where not answer, that you should see an MD. It seemed like she was just too busy to care. Which would make me upset too.

5. Summer7Nate

Summer7Nate Member

Switch! Where I live there is a gyno and or ob practically on every corner...like Starbucks. There is one out there perfect for you.

6. hippiekinz

hippiekinz FTM to Mason

I'm agreeing with everyone else - switch! I personally would be upset if I felt like I was left hanging as well.

Good luck hun <3

7. Helena_

Helena_ Well-Known Member

If you feel like you should switch then switch. I personally wouldn't expect them to say much to you just because they don't assume that you automatically have problems until after a period of time ttc. For your age I think they say after 6 months to go to the doctor and get checked out. Good luck and just do what feels best!

8. Rigi.kun

Rigi.kun Mum to Teddy

Were you expecting her to give you a whole lot of info or did you ask the questions and she gave you no answers? Because if you were expecting her to give you a lot of information because you said you were going to start TTC once you period became normal she wouldn't bother to tell you a lot as it may take you months if not a year to get your period some what back to normal. Another thing nurses will often do is only give you info they presume isn't general knowledge, because both her and you would feel stupid if she rattled on and on about information you already know and nurses have a bad tendacy to look at older woman and have the mentality of "she's older, she should know this kind of stuff" I'm not sticking up for her, if you feel like you were neglected then definitly switch. However I have been going to the same hospital since I was a baby and I still have to tell them my medical history because some smart person split my folder into two volumns and didn't bother to put a summary of my conditions into the current volume.