Should I speak to my mw about...

ashley_gee89

Mummy of 3.
Reaction score
Basically after reading the symptoms of premature labour on this forum etc. I fall into a couple of 'risk' factors anyway.

Anyway I will paste what the symptoms are and explain what I have experienced.

How do You Know if You are Experiencing a Preterm Labour:
-An increase of vaginal discharge especially a sudden gush of clear watery fluid from your vagina

I've always had A LOT of vaginal discharge, however the last 2weeks or so I'm covering a pad (sorry tmi!!)

-Spotting or bright red blood from your vagina

I haven't bled for around 2wks but I have had around 20 bleeds since 16wks

-Menstrual like cramping or more than 5 contractions in an hour

Not had this.

-Increase in pressure in the pelvic area

Not sure I understand this so can't say.

-Low back pain or pressure, or a change in the nature of lower backache

For the past week or so I've had very low down backpain, and it aches all the time.

-Swelling or puffiness of the face or hands

Not had this.

-Painful urination, signifying urinary tract, bladder or kidney infection

I've had a UTI since 20wks, keep taking anti b's but it just won't budge.

-Acute or continuous vomiting

Since around 25wks I've been sick at least once a day.

-Intense pelvic pressure

Again not sure what this means. Although I have had increased pressure in what feels like my cervix (inside me but low down, not sure what this is either)

What do you think ?
Any advice will be appriciated.

Also, what were the signs you have of preterm labour ? If you had one that is.

Thanks in advance!

I can't say your issues are anything honey- my labour happened so fast you never saw it coming! I was pretty much fine til I thought I had wind while watchin hotel Babylon, simple as that!

You do seem really concerned about going early so I would speak to your midwife so she can put you at rest. What I would say, to help anything, is relax. Stress caused my labour, I think xxxxxxx

I would speak to your MW, like SB22 I did not see my labour coming, mine started during the day when I felt quite light headed and as if I was floating, I now know that this was called 'Enlightening' where the babies head engaged. Then I felt really tired so lay down for a bit. Then during the apprentice final I suddenly started having contractions 6-10 mins apart. It all happened so fast with no warning, my waters did not break and I did not have any bleeding. Pregnancies are strange, you can suffer with so many symptoms, go full term and have a healthy baby or you can have a great pregnancy only for it to be cut short by prematurity.
I would discuss this with your midwife or take yourself to hospital if you are really concerned...our hospital had a day clinic you could go along to whilst pregnant if you had any bleeding or anything.

Each pregnancy is different so it is hard to say if you will have a preterm labour...

If you are worried I would speak to your midwife and she can assess if she thinks you are at risk. sometimes reading up on things likes this makes us worry unnecessarily (i know thats the case with me).

I could tick off a far few of those symptoms too, but i am not overly concerned, i am sure most of us at our stage could too. if symptoms increase or get def ocntractions then def contact midwife, but can always call just to speak to her for reassurance, after all thats what they are supposed to be there for.

Thanks for the replies :)
I saw my midwife today and she basically said that everyone has a chance of going into preterm labour, and that if that was to happen there wouldn't be much we could do about it so to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy???

I suppose she's the expert...

I think she is right, don't think about the what ifs, enjoy your pregnancy, if it is going to happen it will and as she says there is nothing you can do about it. They can try and stop it but it only works in a small percentage of cases. I never ever thought about preterm labour I just assumed I would go full term so was in complete shock when I had Emily at 26+3 weeks.

Relax and Enjoy!

Thank you! Yes she was big for her gestation. I put it down to the all inclusive holiday we had at 23 weeks, we ate loads. I thank god that I ate well during my pregnancy, I just didn't rest which probably contributed to things.

Eat well, relax, sleep lots, don't stress and enjoy!
Keep us updated as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->