Should I start her on baby rice?

nikky0907

Reaction score
Hey everyone,I just have a quick question.
Lola was weighed recently and she has fallen to the 15th percentile :(
She has about 25oz of formula in a 24 hour period which isn't enough for a 3 1/2 month old and she barely even has that,I have to split her feeds to get her to drink.
So my doctor advised me to start her on baby rice at 4 months old,but I sometimes prefer to ask you girls first :blush:

Do you girls think this is a good idea,how much would it be ok to give her at first?

Thanks xxx

No personal experience as only starting tastes now but my HV told me that when they start eating solids quite often they don't want as much milk; I don't know how much a baby Lola's age should be having but if you think she is already cutting down she might cut down too much.

There is nothing wrong with being on the 15th centile! Maybe that is just where she will be, all babies can't be exactly average.

Edit: in the leaflet from my HV it says once your baby is on 3 meals a day at approx 7 months they should get at least 16- 20 oz milk a day. So you have about 8 oz to play with!

Hiya :wave:

Sounds like Lola is doing just fine !! If she seems happy, and looks healthy, then don't let them worry you. Everyone is different when it comes to size and weight, and so will a baby be. Otherwise they'd be born with a 'How To Bring Up A Baby' book... ( if only it were that simple !!! ).
Mia has 5 x 5oz bottles a day... she won't have more than that, no matter how I try to gove her them. It says on the box she should be having 6 x 5oz bottles... but she's happy and healthy so pffft !!! I started Mia on a spoonful of baby rice a day, about a week ago, just to get her used to the feel of food and a spoon. Then today, she had 2 teaspoons of breakfast, an then at 6:30, half a baby rusk with milk. SHe's happy as larry now, where-as she is normally screaming by now !!

Basically... without all the rambling :blush: do what you feel is right. Try her with a spoonful of baby rice.. the worst that can happen is she'll spit it back out again.
My boys were on solids from 3.5 months, and they never died !!!! :lol:

Great to 'see' you !!! :hug:

I personally wouldn't, she could cut down even more on the formula she does take which wouldn't be good. I would just try and up her feeds some more as she gets older. Some kids are just small though, 15th% is fine. Starting formula could cause more problems so I think it would be best to wait until she is 6mo.

I personally don't think you should feed your baby solids at 4 months old. A babies daily nutrition for the first year should be breastmilk or formula. Babies bodies at 4 months aren't developed enough to handle solids yet. And rice cereal has no-little nutrition in it anyways. My son was in the 10%tile until after 1 year. There is nothing wrong with being small, as long as they are healthy and happy. Hunter is 1 1/2 now and is only 20%, and he eats constantly. Your baby is fine, good things come in small packages!

I would give her some if she isn't content with just formula. If the only issue is her weight gain slowing, then i wouldn't. Most babies slow down but soon catch up again at the next growth spurt.

If you think that she is ready, then go for it. It wont harm to try xx

I personally wouldn't. If she is healthy and content then why do something that may change it?

Well she is content with just formula but she seems to not have much of an apetite so I thought it would help her weight gain....but maybe better to wait. Thanks girls. :)

rice cereal doesn't seem to bother Jasmine...

If you want to give it, then go for it. I think solids are fine at 3-4 months, if you start earlier and slowly integrate in solids you wont have as much trouble as if you wait until they are older and need the solids and then you have to give them so much... I think that is when constipation etc happens. But slowly integrating alows them to get used to small amounts over a long period of time.

If you start doing it, just do one small bowl in the evenings, that is what most people have told me they do and some babies it helps them sleep through.

Is it a big drop in weight? What percentile was she on before? I would wait and see what her weight does before introducing solids yet, if it drops alot again then consider it, but the small amount you would be introducing anyway I wouldn't have thought would make a big difference plus if she doesn't take a lot of milk now, she'll probably take even less having solids.

There is no harm in trying. I would try her out on baby rice and see how she takes to it :)

Is it a big drop in weight? What percentile was she on before? I would wait and see what her weight does before introducing solids yet, if it drops alot again then consider it, but the small amount you would be introducing anyway I wouldn't have thought would make a big difference plus if she doesn't take a lot of milk now, she'll probably take even less having solids.

Yes,it's a rather large drop. She was on 50% and in about a month and a half she dropped to 15.
So thats why her pediatrician suggested to give her a small amount to see what it does for her weight.

Maybe I'll just try it and see what it does?

Start off with a tiny bit, like a teaspoon and work your way up... That is kind of big weight drop and babies do alot of growing before they are 6 months... But you will know if she needs more or if she is getting too skinny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->