should i wash babies clothes?

Its not too much to ask, in my opinion, to wash a few clothes for a newborn life. I actually think its pretty ignorant not to. Do ppl think factories are clean? There might be a few high end ones in Japan that are but I doubt your baby clothes come from there ha ha ha! Especially if you shop at asda, tesco, etc! All clothes should be washed if you care about your little ones best. They might not get a reaction, sure. They might not get a reaction if you lay them on the street either but would you?

Seriously...

Wow that got a bit offensive for a simple question.......Dont see why it needed to go there:shrug:

I dont wash the new stuff either. Second hand cloths yes I do. My other two children have been just fine :D Like other ladies have said, its just a personal choice :)

Well yes you are right, its a personal choice. I got worked up. But I do think its better to wash em. But up to everyone :flower:

i washed them as i read somewhere there are often chemicals left over from the manufacturer

It's not the end of the world if people choose not to wash their LO's clothes before using!

I only washed mine because we have baby softener (asdas gentle one with gold lid) which makes the clothes and my house smell like baby!!

I never wash my new clothes before wearing them, there's so much bacteria about that it doesn't really matter either way tbh :shrug:

I am washing all of the baby's clothes in the same way that I wash undies that I buy from the shop for myself. I believe something intimate such as vests and under garments on a newborn baby....MUST BE WASHED, even if you cant be bothered to wash anything else!!! xxx

Just to calrify I didnt mean you as in a particular person, I ment you as in ppl in general. I buy cheaper baby clothes too but what I was trying to say is then its even more important to wash them. Anyway, whatever ppl want to do... I just wanted to clarify the above.

Hey, I see that a lot of ladies have already answered, but I figured I'd add my experience as well.
I know a lot of women who didn't wash all of LO's clothes before being warn. It's a personal decision. For me, I have very sensitive skin and always have (as does my sister). We're just lucky I guess. lol. So DH and I went ahead and washed all of our LO's clothes in frangrantless sensitive soap. To be honest, I actually really enjoyed it. I loved washing and drying all of her little things, and folding them and putting them away. It was a gentle way of nesting. If you have the free time, I'd say go ahead and give them a wash. It definitely won't hurt anything & then you get the added bonus of playing with your baby things! :haha: If you don't have the free time, and you were just going to try to find a time to do this as kind of an extra chore, I guess it's more of a decision that you will want to make. It's highly personal. I prefer to be safer rather than sorry! :flower:

I always wash anything new. I have a friend in the clothing industry and she advised all clothing packed in boxes at the factory and transport has dust mites, do they always advise washing before wearing.

Not to mention the chemicals they spray on to protect the fabrics before they're bought.

I hadn't even thought about this..! But you've all convinced me that I should wash the baby's clothes before he's born and wearing them!!

On the same note, do you wash bedding and blankets as well? I am planning to wash clothes, but not sure about bedding?

On the same note, do you wash bedding and blankets as well? I am planning to wash clothes, but not sure about bedding?

I washed just the sheets and matttress cover. I figure the only part of the crib bedding set that will come close to LO is the bumper and I didn't wash that, it just looked too delicate! The quilt I just hang over the crib for decor since you aren't supposed to have anything in there with LO when a newborn, so maybe I'll wash that stuff when she gets big enough to use them.

I've washed everything, just to be on the safe side .. plus I really enjoyed it, like someone else said it's a lovely form of 'nesting'! I love seeing them hanging up and sorting through them!

If they are second hand..yes.
If not, no. I have never done and havent done this time round.

I've washed everything as well. I don't typically do it for my clothing, but then again my skin is not as sensitive as a newborns. I think it's important to wash them because like someone else said, there are chemicals left on them from the factories where they were made. Better safe than sorry and what's a little extra laundry anyways? :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->