Should I write a birthplan for homebirth?

xsadiex

Reaction score
Or is it not really necessary?
If I want delayed cord clamping surely they'll ask me first before cutting it rather than having read and remembered the plan?
Hmm I am not sure.
I also don't want lotsof VE's would that go down better in a written birthplan or if I just say it when they come or when they ask?

I'd say its good to have a birth plan written down. Even if its just bullet points that they can read when they arrive. Of course tell them as well.

I would also say its a good idea to have written down what your preferences would be in an emergency / transfer situation. I found it very useful to have everything written down and midwives and OH knowing my wishes when I was transferred in with DD. It made me feel a lot more in control at a time when I wasn't able to be in control.

Does anyone have a good website with ideas of what to write on it? Someone posted one once but can't remember where I saw it!

Make sure to talk about the things you want in your birth and immediate postpartum care. I did type up a few bullet points for my homebirth to remind people of my wishes. I taped it up by the computer. But we didn't really look at it and my MW just asked before doing anything. We waited to cut the cord until placenta was out (17 minutes later).

Absolutely. You never know who will be supporting you on the day. It's really important to be able to concentrate on birthing your baby rather than discussing your wishes - you need to be able to switch your neocortex off to be able to birth easily and safely so having a document that they can read when they arrive so they know what is important to you will help you to stay on yr own agenda rather than someone elses convenience :)

And no they won't always ask you before clamping and cutting. There's a member on here who had a home birth in your area and the mws clamped against hers and her partners wishes :/

Oh dear! They cut and clamped against their wishes? I'm definitely doing a plan now, half way through. Makes it all feel so real :)

Yes. I'm pretty sure she had a birth plan too. You just need to make sure you're partner I'm well briefed as you are not really going to be thinking rationally whe you're trying to give birth!

I think a birth plan is always a good idea wherever you plan to birth.... There will be an element of winging it on the day, but it's still very useful to write one and discuss it with your MW/DH/doula/etc :-D

I didnt feel i needed one. Because I had it pain relief free, I was really lucid inbetween contractions and wouldnt let anyone do anything I didnt want to IYKWIM? I got everything I wanted in the end :)

Mervs mum is right though, make sure your birthing partner(s) are aware of your wishes too. I remember at one point whilst pushing my mum reminding the MW that i want a natural 3rd stage but to ask me again when LO is born.

My local MW discussed my birth wishes at the 37 week home visit. Delayed cord clamping was the norm as I had asked to try for a physiological 3rd stage. I never mentioned VE's but the MW's who came didn't feel the need to do them and I didn't feel the need to ask for one - but I roughly knew how long labour would be as previous labours had all been a similar length of time.
By the time my HB MW's arrived there was only half an hour before baby arrived and they seemed to have LOADS of paperwork to complete (never noticed the hospital MW's doing that much paperwork) so I would recommend a birth plan and discussing with your OH your wishes as I found the MW's asking me continuous questions to be quite hard to deal with especially when contractions were painful and frequent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->