should it be a life for a life?

weewdy

Reaction score
Just been watching the news about the kids that died in the fires stepdad getting sentenced tomorrow and got thinking about the best punishment. Should they bring back the death sentence or is 20 yrs in prison more of a punishment. Whats your views?

I dont think sentences should run concurrently which they seem to alot now.

Life should be longer then 20 years for some crimes.

I think death is too good for some people.
I'm a bit of a sadist though, I think they should be made to really suffer. :blush:

What they did was awful but I don't believe in corporal punishment. I don't believe its right to take a life, even if it's as a punishment.

For the most part I believe legal sentences should be about reform not revenge and we should try to give people a second chance - that said I think there's some things that are too far gone for reform, some crimes are so terrible and the perpetrators so unremorseful that reform will never happen. But then the appropriate sentence should be given - life imprisonment or secure hospital etc.

That said it's easy for me to say this on the outside, but I can understand why someone who's child has been abused or killed could want to not only see the death penalty for that person, but want to do it themselves with their bare hands! Its a highly emotive subject.

What they did was awful but I don't believe in corporal punishment. I don't believe its right to take a life, even if it's as a punishment.

For the most part I believe legal sentences should be about reform not revenge and we should try to give people a second chance - that said I think there's some things that are too far gone for reform, some crimes are so terrible and the perpetrators so unremorseful that reform will never happen. But then the appropriate sentence should be given - life imprisonment or secure hospital etc.

That said it's easy for me to say this on the outside, but I can understand why someone who's child has been abused or killed could want to not only see the death penalty for that person, but want to do it themselves with their bare hands! Its a highly emotive subject.

I totally agree

I think the death penalty would be to easy for some and an easy way out.... A bigger punishment would be making them suffer and think about what they have done till the day they die.

For example the mother(I use the term loosely) of them 6 poor Inoccent little angels will forever have to live with knowing she killed them.... The way she may be feeling ending it all would be to much of a good thing for her where as making her live with everyday in prison till the day she dies knowing what she's done seems greater punishment to me. Well to me anyway.

On holiday recently me and Tom visited Bodmin jail in cornwall , it showed what punishment and prison life was like back then, it was truely horrid and these people were treated that way for stealing a chicken if they were hungry :dohh:. I truely believe prison should be like that now for sick people like this couple hard labour every day!

Maybe then people wouldn't think of prison as holiday camp! It would be a deterrent as let's be honest know one would wanna be there

split feelings on this.... they should suffer, but some of them aren't worth the drain on tax payers to keep them locked up and fed.

a 'life' sentence in New Zealand is normally around 9-15 years BUT i've never heard of anyone stay in jail for longer then a few years. It's so disgusting I feel as if my country doesn't care about offenders being a threat to us at all. If there was a gang rapist for example, and he was caught, he likely wouldn't even go to jail. He'd probably get whats called 'home detention' with an ankle bracelet, or at worst a year in jail, but they are always let off really early.

My friends brother was stabbed to death- the offender got a few weeks in jail. The "worst sexual offender in New Zealand history" was recently released into society. Hundreds of victims, women and children. Jail here is a joke. If you get caught doing a petty crime like having $40 of weed on you or steeling (like my friend) you get 8 months jail, if you kill someone, you get a slap on the wrist.

They are so busy chasing after weed smokers or giving people speeding tickets, that the crack labs are pretty much free to operate while the children run around these houses breathing in the fumes, until the house blows up and we hear about it on the news.

Rant over.

What was the crime? I haven't heard about this yet.

Fizzyfeffe, a couple and their friend set fire to their house with their 6 kids in. Apparently the husband in this couple had a mistress for years who he'd split up with but had kids with (not same kids as the ones that died). The plan it seems was to frame the ex-mistress for the fire, then get custody of the kids whrn she went to prison - not for the love of the kids but because he'd then get a bigger house from the state!

The plan was to "rescue" the kids from the fire, they werent intended to die, but of course they put their children's lives in danger and it went wrong.

The father has a whole back catalogue of convictions for violent crimes, and 16 kids by 5 mothers. It's a very sad case.

I think taking a life in any way is wrong, so no, I do not believe in the death penalty.

Life should mean life imprisonment. They have taken someone elses life therefore they should give up any rights they have to a 'life' for themselves.

As someone else said, I think prison is too good for some people (such as the Philpotts)and they should really really suffer for what they have done. I would hapilly see them in a tiny cell with no bed and no heating for the rest of their days with only basic meals and toilet trips provided. But then that would beg the argument over human rights :dohh:

Just cant win can you really?

I don't believe in the death penalty. I did my dissertation on the death penalty in America and there is always the chance that the person may not be guilty. Those who are poor are disproportionately represented on death row. It is also very expensive to keep people on death row and fight the multiple legal challenges that take place while they are there.
I do believe that for some people life should mean life behind bars as they are too much of a danger to the public to enjoy their freedom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->