• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should National Service be reintroduced?

In this hypothetical scheme, I would say that having military service as a choice of several ways to give back to society or your country wouldn't necessarily exclude having strict standards for admittance. So, if military was your first choice and you didn't meet the requirements, you don't get to do your service there? I would imagine that those controls would be in place for all aspects. In my imaginary program! :)

In this hypothetical scheme, I would say that having military service as a choice of several ways to give back to society or your country wouldn't necessarily exclude having strict standards for admittance. So, if military was your first choice and you didn't meet the requirements, you don't get to do your service there? I would imagine that those controls would be in place for all aspects. In my imaginary program! :)

Lol I see what you mean, I guess I just think if you're willing to go into the military on the voluntary scheme on a short term basis you'd be willing to do the whole hog lol.

Thats how they do it here, you have to pass the medical exam for the military option. My ex failed it so he ended up not doing his service at all.

I reckon the costs must be manageable as they are in countries that have it. I expect conscription would be exempt from minimum wage laws and with the civilian service you could have the conscripts doing work in hospitals etc (lots do their service as hospital porters here) and save the NHS some money.

My question would b how would they discriminate/not discriminate, back when we had ns it was men only, obviously women can now join the army and there is a lot of equality compared to then. Should it b just men again? Coz that is just sexist, but at the same time I don't think it should b compulsory for everyone, I'm a good hardworking person but I annoy cut out for the army. What about those who choose to have an education? Should that stop them? What about those with disabilities, again in today's world of equality, should we say no disabled, what's the cut off point? I mean whilst its optional the army have the right to say no, but what about when it's compulsory the army shouldn't say no, but the most vulnerable of people should b protected. I'm also just talking about physical disabilities, these days we are very clued up with mental disabilities, should we force someone with, I dunno,anorexia (m or f) to join the army.

I just think its not as straight forward as it was back when we had ns as back then only men were in the army, its a lot different today, we are in a different world.

That said I also agree with a pp about giving young prisoners more of a shot (maybe compulsory) to join the army.

I think it ought to be for everyone (male and female). Its only compulsory for males here (females can volunteer) and I think thats rather sexist really.
People with disabilities probably wouldn't pass the medical exam, maybe they could do a non-military option instead.

Why on earth would we put ex prisoners in the military?! You committed a crime...so now let's entrust you with a weapon, self defence classes and sensitive national security information...

A military STYLE rehabilitation centre perhaps to instill discipline, but to be in the military is something to be proud of and shouldn't be a punishment or second chance, not to mention why should military personnel have to work with ex offenders?

I guess it could b a way of rehabilitation, repeat offenders go back and it's the only stability they have. The military can provide that, give someone a life away from crime ad a chance that they have never had. It's not cut out for everyone, no, but neither would it b it's ns was compulsory for everyone.

Natsku but I still don't believe we can afford it, so many cuts, the smallest ground force since 1940, smallest amount of ships 1915, those are the two things I can think off the top of my head, I am sure there are more. Just training them would cost a fortune but if they had to pay expenses too then that would be so expensive. Plus I could see there being a) an outcry if they pay so lowly and b) it would probably demotivate some.

hayz, interesting questions. It wouldn't have to necessarily be military based, it could be doing something in the communities, working in hospitals and so on. If it were to happen again then IMO it would have to include women, if we want equality it has to be in all areas. I don't see why people cant complete education and then do it or even have it combined with some courses. As for the disabilities, if it was exclusively the military then that would prove more of a problem as obviously it is mostly a physical job however if it is in the community then the vast majority will be able to do something, and clearly there would be a medical to asses for those who cant (which is what they did with previous NS any way).

I guess it could b a way of rehabilitation, repeat offenders go back and it's the only stability they have. The military can provide that, give someone a life away from crime ad a chance that they have never had. It's not cut out for everyone, no, but neither would it b it's ns was compulsory for everyone.

The military is a career with an important job keeping the nation secure, it is not a babysitting service for people who have made poor choices in life. You have to be very mentally secure to be in the military especially if you are going to fight thus I think criminals would be a liability to themselves, their colleagues and citizens. I'm pretty sure you can't be in the military with a criminal record (someone correct me if I am wrong) but you get thrown out instantly if you so much as smoke a joint, it isn't a place for rehabilitation, it's not about discipline, self worth, it's providing a pivotal job to this country that not just anyone can do. A military style rehab as I say would be interesting, but the military has a more important job to do than take on the role of prisons and rehab themselves.

Natsku but I still don't believe we can afford it, so many cuts, the smallest ground force since 1940, smallest amount of ships 1915, those are the two things I can think off the top of my head, I am sure there are more. Just training them would cost a fortune but if they had to pay expenses too then that would be so expensive. Plus I could see there being a) an outcry if they pay so lowly and b) it would probably demotivate some.

hayz, interesting questions. It wouldn't have to necessarily be military based, it could be doing something in the communities, working in hospitals and so on. If it were to happen again then IMO it would have to include women, if we want equality it has to be in all areas. I don't see why people cant complete education and then do it or even have it combined with some courses. As for the disabilities, if it was exclusively the military then that would prove more of a problem as obviously it is mostly a physical job however if it is in the community then the vast majority will be able to do something, and clearly there would be a medical to asses for those who cant (which is what they did with previous NS any way).

Hmm yeah maybe it couldn't be financially feasible in the UK, its a different military system I think. Maybe just a civilian service then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->