• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should pushchairs be banned in some public places?

tinkerbelle93

2 little boys :)
Reaction score
I'm really surprised at how many of the people commenting on this article https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...shchair-posse-debate-Emma-B-ITV-Daybreak.html agree with Samantha Brick that there should be a pushchair ban during certain times like rush hour, and that certain shops and cafes should ban mums with buggies going in!

I disagree really, people have children and children need pushchairs don't they?

What are your opinions? xx

I wonder how this would go down if the same vile woman was suggesting I don't take Abby out in her wheelchair either. I do find many people who work seem to think the world should revolve around them. It's like people who complain about retired people using shops and post offices during the lunch hour, as if those who are working should dictate how those who aren't should live their lives.

Many people I know pick up their children from nursery during the rush hour. How exactly are these people supposed to get their children home? And she no doubt also complains about the number of cars there are around schools in the rush hour. So you have a toddler and a school age child. How do you get them to school without a buggy or a car.

And Samantha Brick thinks woman hate her because she is beautiful? No love, they hate you because of this kind of bollocks. Believe me, if I met her in the street and I had a buggy, she'd have sore shins for sure.

I find the argument really confusing and I'm more confused about the number of people agreeing with her on the DM website. Parents need to get around with children and children need to have pushchairs, so it's just a part of life surely? xx

It's probably comments made by childless people. I personally only use one for my older son when I KNOW he will get too tired to walk. I don't like using one for dd because it is bulky and I have anxiety attacks in crowds. I usually wear her on my back.

This kind of ignorance is the sort of thing I'm dreading in the future for DD. She is very small for her age and IF she ever walks it wont be till very late maybe even as late as school age. So people will presume she is one of 'those' three year olds in a buggy. Because if I can get away with pushing her round in a lightweight stroller instead of a wheelchair you can bet I will. I do not know what I would do if someone commented or said she should be walking.

There are some parents who do behave like the ones described in the article I am sure but once again why should the majority suffer for the behaviour of a few idiots? I mean no one is defending the mother who was arguing with the wheelchair user over who had the right to the space on the bus here right?

And why is it assumed that parents with prams shouldn't leave the house during rush hour like they couldn't possibly have anywhere they need to be that is as important than someone who works?

Honestly I dont think a ban would ever be implemented. Can you imagine the uproar? It's a ridiculous idea.

And some of the comments are just ludicrous. The people saying the human race managed before prams were invented are, I would bet, the same people who say breastfeeding mothers should never leave the house.

Samantha brick and Katie Hopkins seem to be in competition to be the most vile ,hated women in the UK right now!

I don't think I've heard either of them say anything constructive ,ever !

From the couple of times I've used a pushchair I know that they're a nightmare in general in many public places, so it's hardly as if places are being made to accommodate them. I dread to think how someone in a wheelchair functions in many places. It wouldn't bug me if pushchairs were banned really as it wouldn't affect me, but I don't think that they should be by any means.

I have to admit when I am on the tube in rush hour and see someone with a push chair I do think "reeeally, was this the best time to travel?!" but of course this is a fleeting thought in my head and understand people have various reasons for travelling when they do and so what if they don't they have just as much right as me to be on the tube whatever time! I have to say though I don't see many pushchairs on the tube at rush hour because I don't imagine it's a pleasant experience. But no, how can you ban them and why, I'm not going to read the article because I dread to think what it says.....!

I have to admit when I am on the tube in rush hour and see someone with a push chair I do think "reeeally, was this the best time to travel?!" but of course this is a fleeting thought in my head and understand people have various reasons for travelling when they do and so what if they don't they have just as much right as me to be on the tube whatever time! I have to say though I don't see many pushchairs on the tube at rush hour because I don't imagine it's a pleasant experience. But no, how can you ban them and why, I'm not going to read the article because I dread to think what it says.....!

I don't live in London but was there recently for work. Honestly I struggled so much just with a small wheeled suitcase, I really don't know how, or why, people manage with pushchairs on the tube, especially as their are basically no lifts, and so little space and everyone pushing etc. Tbh I'm surprised most Londonders don't just use carriers. That said, I still don't think they should be banned, but I think it's disgraceful that the tube stations have no provisions at all for pushchairs, or more to the point, for wheelchairs!

I can understand both sides of the debate. I live in a rural area so can't comment on public transport and can only imagine taking a pram on the tube must be a nightmare for all parties involved!

I agree some people are a menace with push chairs and do act like they have a right to go and do whatever they want, but so are plenty of people who don't have push chairs! Off the top of my head I think one of the things the article says people with push chairs do is stop suddenly to 'adjust their baby' I've had plenty of people with and without push chairs just stop in front of me.

I don't think push chairs should be banned but common sense is needed. Our local Costa is very small so if it's going to be busy (i.e. at peak times) I park close and carry DS or arrange to meet friends somewhere else or at a different time. If I know a place is small then I don't just think 'stuff everyone else' and go in there regardless, I just go somewhere bigger that I know has plenty of room for push chairs.

You get ignorant people with push chairs and without. People do get rammed by push chairs but quite often people just walk into my push chair. It works both ways if you ask me.

I can understand both sides of the debate. I live in a rural area so can't comment on public transport and can only imagine taking a pram on the tube must be a nightmare for all parties involved!

I agree some people are a menace with push chairs and do act like they have a right to go and do whatever they want, but so are plenty of people who don't have push chairs! Off the top of my head I think one of the things the article says people with push chairs do is stop suddenly to 'adjust their baby' I've had plenty of people with and without push chairs just stop in front of me.

I don't think push chairs should be banned but common sense is needed. Our local Costa is very small so if it's going to be busy (i.e. at peak times) I park close and carry DS or arrange to meet friends somewhere else or at a different time. If I know a place is small then I don't just think 'stuff everyone else' and go in there regardless, I just go somewhere bigger that I know has plenty of room for push chairs.

You get ignorant people with push chairs and without. People do get rammed by push chairs but quite often people just walk into my push chair. It works both ways if you ask me.

Yes I have had similar happen to us. We were in a waiting area and an old lady was getting up and grabbed the backpack I had hanging on my pram to pull herself up. Now I have no problem with someone needing assistance up and if she had asked I would have helped, even if she looked like she was struggling I would have offered to help BUT the backpack she grabbed contained by daughters feeding pump, milk supply and tubing that was actually connected to my childs feeding tube and was in operation at the time. If the bag had snapped or whatever it would have been ripped off my baby! or broken, or milk everywhere. It annoyed me that people complain about prams but they also dont respect that they are someones property.

Have also had people ask me to move the backpack. off the handle because its in te way while they squeeze past. And had the filthiest looks when I explain no I cant put it in the basket ITS attached to the baby. The tubing doesn't reach the basket of the pram what would u like me to do with it :shrug:

I want to stick Liz Jones, Katie Hopkins and Samantha Brick in a cave and they can bore each other with their bullshit.

I have been guilty of using a pushchair on the tube during rush hour. I had a 2.5 and 3.5year old and was heavily pregnant with my fourth child in a extremely high risk pregnancy. I had to be seen at a hospital three times a week that was about two and a half hours away by bus (due to multiple changes and stupidly heavy traffic) or thirty minutes ish by tube.

I would quite often be there from 10.30 (done to avoid rush hour) until what ever time, usually around 5pm. My kiddies needed their pushchair as it involved a lot of walking plus long days, so they could nap in the pushchair. If I hadn't been seen that much it could endanger my baby, my husband or anyone else obviously couldn't take three days a week off, if I used a bus those people would moan. Does she seriously think I should of stayed in the hospital for an extra two hours so to not inconvenience her? :wacko:

My comment wasn't a dig at those who do use pushchairs on the tube hun, I was just shocked, as a massive carrier advocate, that they haven't really taken off on tubes with the seriously crappy mobility.

No, no. I didn't think it was a dig. I was just explaining why I used the tube and how there is sometimes no choice for people to be out with pushchairs in rush hour. I never found a carrier that was right for us (plus would of been difficult with two of them and a bump :haha:) but I think that was health reason, so hopefully next time.

I was lucky that both stations I needed had lifts though, and I know in West London they are adding lifts where ever possible.

Thank god! I found it such a nightmare. Still, can't say lugging a suitcase up broken escalators was as bad as the embarrassment at spending ten minutes tryna stuff an oyster card in to the ticket reader, and jamming up about 15 people at Euston tube station :haha:

Oh no absolutely, in that situation I wouldn't use a carrier either. To be honest if it wasn't for the supposed bonding and stuff I'd use a pushchair a lot more, I secretly quite like them, but shhh :blush:

I have been guilty of using a pushchair on the tube during rush hour. I had a 2.5 and 3.5year old and was heavily pregnant with my fourth child in a extremely high risk pregnancy. I had to be seen at a hospital three times a week that was about two and a half hours away by bus (due to multiple changes and stupidly heavy traffic) or thirty minutes ish by tube.

I would quite often be there from 10.30 (done to avoid rush hour) until what ever time, usually around 5pm. My kiddies needed their pushchair as it involved a lot of walking plus long days, so they could nap in the pushchair. If I hadn't been seen that much it could endanger my baby, my husband or anyone else obviously couldn't take three days a week off, if I used a bus those people would moan. Does she seriously think I should of stayed in the hospital for an extra two hours so to not inconvenience her? :wacko:

This is true the hospital system in west London probably does put mums on the tube, my local hosp has a terrible reputation and I know someone who goes on the tube for 20 mins to get to a different hosp (something Charlotte?) don't know what she'll do in labour, wonder what Samantha brick thinks of labouring women on the tube lol.

People hate her because shes beautiful. Haha. More like the crap that comes out of your mouth love!!
On the.subject, sometimes its a bit annoyong. But hey ita life, kids can't walk. There's more annoying things in life............ like her.

This is true the hospital system in west London probably does put mums on the tube, my local hosp has a terrible reputation and I know someone who goes on the tube for 20 mins to get to a different hosp (something Charlotte?) don't know what she'll do in labour, wonder what Samantha brick thinks of labouring women on the tube lol.

Queen Charlottes :thumbup: It is a fab hospital. I've had two of my babies there and will have my next one there even if I live in High Wycombe :haha:

:haha: She probably thinks there should be a 'special' carriage for people like her.

People hate her because shes beautiful. Haha. More like the crap that comes out of your mouth love!!
On the.subject, sometimes its a bit annoyong. But hey ita life, kids can't walk. There's more annoying things in life............ like her.

Last line made me LOL :haha:

My comment wasn't a dig at those who do use pushchairs on the tube hun, I was just shocked, as a massive carrier advocate, that they haven't really taken off on tubes with the seriously crappy mobility.

I wouldn't mind using pushchairs on the tube if it wasn't for the escalators - it's impossible to carry a young baby and a folded up pushchair. I can't imagine how hard it is for wheelchair bound people to get around London, the lifts are so limited. So yeah, carrier for me too - although I still avoid rush hour because some people seem to think its totally fine to squeeze into your baby.

I don't think pushchairs need to be banned anywhere - but I kinda still fail to see why it's the everyday transport of choice for people in urban areas. I used to be on the verge of a panic attack manuvering my one around - just ended up selling it very early on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->