• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should pushchairs be banned in some public places?

This is true the hospital system in west London probably does put mums on the tube, my local hosp has a terrible reputation and I know someone who goes on the tube for 20 mins to get to a different hosp (something Charlotte?) don't know what she'll do in labour, wonder what Samantha brick thinks of labouring women on the tube lol.

Queen Charlottes :thumbup: It is a fab hospital. I've had two of my babies there and will have my next one there even if I live in High Wycombe :haha:

:haha: She probably thinks there should be a 'special' carriage for people like her.

People hate her because shes beautiful. Haha. More like the crap that comes out of your mouth love!!
On the.subject, sometimes its a bit annoyong. But hey ita life, kids can't walk. There's more annoying things in life............ like her.

Last line made me LOL :haha:
Are you moving to High Wycombe Tasha ?!?

This is true the hospital system in west London probably does put mums on the tube, my local hosp has a terrible reputation and I know someone who goes on the tube for 20 mins to get to a different hosp (something Charlotte?) don't know what she'll do in labour, wonder what Samantha brick thinks of labouring women on the tube lol.

Queen Charlottes :thumbup: It is a fab hospital. I've had two of my babies there and will have my next one there even if I live in High Wycombe :haha:

Yeah that's the one, I've heard it's got a really good reputation, better than Hillingdon!!! If I was high risk I would definitely consider it, thankfully I've had very little interaction with the hospital so far *touchwood* and am planning a home birth so hoping I get away unscathed!

Are you moving to High Wycombe Tasha ?!?

Yes :thumbup: The rent here is astronomical and so we need to move some where more affordable but easy commute for DH. HW isn't cheap but it is more manageable for us. Do you know it?

Yeah that's the one, I've heard it's got a really good reputation, better than Hillingdon!!! If I was high risk I would definitely consider it, thankfully I've had very little interaction with the hospital so far *touchwood* and am planning a home birth so hoping I get away unscathed!

Hillingdon doesn't have a great reputation but locally it is better than some isn't it? Everything crossed that you get that home birth.

I wouldn't mind using pushchairs on the tube if it wasn't for the escalators - it's impossible to carry a young baby and a folded up pushchair. I can't imagine how hard it is for wheelchair bound people to get around London, the lifts are so limited. So yeah, carrier for me too - although I still avoid rush hour because some people seem to think its totally fine to squeeze into your baby.

I don't think pushchairs need to be banned anywhere - but I kinda still fail to see why it's the everyday transport of choice for people in urban areas. I used to be on the verge of a panic attack manuvering my one around - just ended up selling it very early on.

I think people don't see them as safe. :shrug:

Society on the whole really does confuse me.

Yes I understand not everyone wants kids, but surely these people realise that we still need kids, who will one day work which pays towards their pensions etc?

We all want different things in life, surely we should try to be understanding to others? When I didnt have a baby I tried to be understanding to those who did, I offered to work over Christmas so those with kids could have it off (lets be honest, we are adults and christmas is for kids).

We all have a right to move about in society and visit places. I don't understand why everything these days is "me, me, me" and we can't be more understanding of others.

High Wycombe is my hometown Tasha ! I went to school there and grew up just outside of it - I go back about once a month too. I can answer any Wycombe related question you have :)

Brilliant, thank you bumpy. I will bug you via PM in the next couple of days :haha:

I am not in a big city. I live in a city of 88 thousand, and it spread out, so no probs here. I wouldnt take one in a restaurant IF I could help it, but I have...when travelling ect. I think its silly to ban...quite ridiculous actually.

I live in a relatively small city approx 250 000, and one of our VERY popular ice cream shops a few years ago banned all strollers!

Yes, an ice cream shop!? The owner caught a lot of heat for it, I mean seriously its kids and families that keep him in business. However... years later, still no strollers allowed and they are as busy as ever. Lined up out the door every hot day.

Makes no sense.

I've taken strollers into restaurants. Mind you, I live in a small city and it's common to do it. I didn't know it was frowned upon.

We don't have many restaurants in our little town (a Greek and Turkish restaurant I think) and we've been to the Greek one and never took the pushchair because they have this tiny front door so we carry her in.

In the bigger city though there are loads of restaurants and I swear they position the tables to make it impossible to get a pushchair through. Only place that's easy is pizza hut.

It would be a nightmare to ban them everywhere though.

I kind of see 2 different sides to this. When we were in Disney Florida, they make you leave pushchairs outside of restaurants, rides, etc and it made it a whole load easier for getting around with the wheelchair. I do agree with it for small places such as cafes, etc where the parent can fold up the pram and the child can be placed into a highchair or sat on a knee. From a disabled point of view it makes manovering a hell of a lot easier.

However, I used Evan's pram up until the age of 4 as we never got a wheelchair until he had just turned 4 ready for school. But like in Disney with the children that used a pram as a wheelchair they had a tag on it that allowed the prams to be used inside small areas as a wheelchair.

As for banning them off paths, and public transport is absolutely ridiculous!!! You can't expect a 1 year old child who has just began walking to be able to walk long distances or even older children, their legs are only little and get a heck of a lot more tired than ours!!!

I tend not to take them in small restaurants , sometimes you have to choose a place that's more child friendly

See I don't think it would be fair to ban them, but I do agree if the restaurant is small and will block exits, cause manovering issues then they should provide a storage areas for the prams, or ask customers to fold the pram and maybe put it under the table or out of the way is more than reasonable.

People need to get a grip, what makes these idiots think they have any more right to be in society than mothers with their children?

Of course common sense must prevail, and if a place is too small or you will be blocking access, then dont use the buggy, go elsewhere, but seriously, children have as much right to take an active place in society as adults

I hate it when I have to leave the pram but I can understand. They are banned in the school here, it would be excessive during performances etc! My sons classroom is upstairs and I have to take him in but now I just make the teacher come down if Jade is asleep!

I don't even know what to say. That article and those comments just make me cringe. People are idiots.

I must admit, before jade, when I just had the older 2 I found that sometimes prams get in the way lol but now I use one but I am really concious of it when in busy areas!

Ok I must admit I dont pay attention to Brick face at all but for the sake of debate I shall give my 2 pence. I am also not shocked at the anti child and mother comments on the daily fail.

We do not live in a child friendly society at all. People seem to see mums with buggies as a hindrance and dnt think they deserve any help. I hate this unhelpful selfish attidude. Its a shame mums with prams get so much disrespect , would they be the same way with a person in a wheel chair? no tolerance at all. The usual childism crap. ffs I baby wear now and the looks I have gotten with that, I dont think its what transport you cart your child around in any more its people in general to children and mums.

Ok I must admit I dont pay attention to Brick face at all but for the sake of debate I shall give my 2 pence. I am also not shocked at the anti child and mother comments on the daily fail.

We do not live in a child friendly society at all. People seem to see mums with buggies as a hindrance and dnt think they deserve any help. I hate this unhelpful selfish attidude. Its a shame mums with prams get so much disrespect , would they be the same way with a person in a wheel chair? no tolerance at all. The usual childism crap. ffs I baby wear now and the looks I have gotten with that, I dont think its what transport you cart your child around in any more its people in general to children and mums.

It seems to me that people seem to thinks children are a hindrance. We get the strangest looks when our four yr old might get a bit loud in a "family friendly" restaurant. We also get "go to hell" looks when we try to discipline him. We have had people getting ready to call emergency because he was screaming like we were killing him when we would leave somewhere (trying to put him in his car seat and he would scream and stiffen). I agree...we aren't family friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->