should rioters families be evicted?

No they shouldn't be able to. I disagree with the way the riots panned out but happy, well educated people don't riot. The last few weeks has shown that some serious changes.are needed in our society. This is a way of punishing the poor yet again. What about the people that were rioting that aren't in council housing? They won't end up homeless.with nowhere else to go with young children in tow. It will make the rich/poor divide worse and events.like these are then more likely to happen again.

I am actually sickened at the amount of racist/bigoted/pro capital punishment comments I've heard on the news and from my friends and read on Facebook.

Yes, a lot of the rioters were completely out of order. But the world is waking up to the oppression and lies from our governments and there will be varying ways people rebel against them. It is happening everywhere.

In a way I'm glad it has riled the powers that be. Maybe next time our taxes are used for MPs' moats, bird baths and personal holidays, or we are sent to war over something that is none of our business more people will stand up and shout about it. They are far worse crimes in my book and there has been very little consequence for those involved.

Whoops! Didn't mean to rant quite so much there :)

This wasn't political and to think it was is IMO niave. It was an excuse for thugs to vandalise and be violent and an excuse for oppurtunists to get a new TV or pair of trainers. The riots in Egypt were political. The G8 riots were political. This, was not.

I agree that the majority of rioters were not making any kind of political statement. It does, however, highlight political issues and the awful state our society is in. I don't condone kids stealing tvs and trainers just because other people are, but they must have been pretty let down somewhere along the lines to feel that it is an.acceptable thing to do.

Why everyone, though?

Wouldn't it be easy to say so and so is evicted if so and so is found on the property a full eviction of all will be enforced?

Then again looking into it the rules seem clear, if anyone is charged with a violent crime everyone gets the boot. I guess those rioters should have considered others knowing that rule was in place.

i doubt many people knew that rule existed until now (especially children of tenants), i certainly didn't. i know plenty of social housing tenants who've been convicted of crimes ranging from driving offences to drug offences to violent offences and haven't been threatened with eviction or indeed evicted :shrug:

I think the reason I dont think whole families should be evicted is because iv seen it first hand.
My uncle still lived with my nanna into his late 50's he spent most of his life in and out of prison and his son was pretty much raised by her and even he spent most of his life in trouble.
My nanna was evicted from 6 homes because of them and most of the time she was too senile to even know who they where let alone what was going on.
Why should she be held to count for what they did and have to suffer.
They moved more times then that but a few times was for safety reasons as my uncle was a perve that should have been in prison for life but thats a different rant.
The last time she was evicted it was just too much for her and she passed away a few weeks later all because she couldnt turn her son and grandson away (most of the time thugh I dont think they gave her much choice)

I dont think a whole family should be evicted, but I do think the person responsible should be.

They signed up to certain agreements, and its no good saying they porbably didnt know. 1. We are talking about someone commiting criminal activity, not someone getting a dog or something. 2. tough, when you sign up to lots of things you have to sign terms and agreements, if you breach that its yoru fault and you face the penality, you cant just say i didnt know. Im sorry but thats rubbish.

No they shouldn't be able to. I disagree with the way the riots panned out but happy, well educated people don't riot. The last few weeks has shown that some serious changes.are needed in our society. This is a way of punishing the poor yet again. What about the people that were rioting that aren't in council housing? They won't end up homeless.with nowhere else to go with young children in tow. It will make the rich/poor divide worse and events.like these are then more likely to happen again.

I am actually sickened at the amount of racist/bigoted/pro capital punishment comments I've heard on the news and from my friends and read on Facebook.

Yes, a lot of the rioters were completely out of order. But the world is waking up to the oppression and lies from our governments and there will be varying ways people rebel against them. It is happening everywhere.

In a way I'm glad it has riled the powers that be. Maybe next time our taxes are used for MPs' moats, bird baths and personal holidays, or we are sent to war over something that is none of our business more people will stand up and shout about it. They are far worse crimes in my book and there has been very little consequence for those involved.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Why everyone, though?

Wouldn't it be easy to say so and so is evicted if so and so is found on the property a full eviction of all will be enforced?

Then again looking into it the rules seem clear, if anyone is charged with a violent crime everyone gets the boot. I guess those rioters should have considered others knowing that rule was in place.

Yes, it would. I think it's a much better idea but hard when its an 11 or even 15 year old.

This wasn't political and to think it was is IMO niave. It was an excuse for thugs to vandalise and be violent and an excuse for oppurtunists to get a new TV or pair of trainers. The riots in Egypt were political. The G8 riots were political. This, was not.

I agree that the majority of rioters were not making any kind of political statement. It does, however, highlight political issues and the awful state our society is in. I don't condone kids stealing tvs and trainers just because other people are, but they must have been pretty let down somewhere along the lines to feel that it is an.acceptable thing to do.

Yes, by their parents :shrug: I'm sorry but I'd not DREAM of ever doing what I saw on the TV as a teenager. I did some horrid things to my mum but I never stole, or vandalised anything cos I knew it would disappoint her so much and i was taught better than that.

Urm I'm sorry I have to disagree. Firstly this isn't a case of punishing the poor twice over Whilst the rich as you class them get away scot free. From what I've heard, some very middle class people are recieiving harsh sentences which will affect them for the rest of their life. Whilst petty criminalswroth a string of convictions aren't going to be impacted that much in terms of this new punishment. The "rich" might not be evicted from a council house but if they were stupid enough to get involved and get a conviction, they will struggle to get a job which means they will struggle to pay their mortgages and their houses will be reposed!

As for oppression, rebelling etc, this was not a case of that, it was just a bunch of scum (yes I consider them scum) who took the opportunity to cause mindless criminal damage and take what they wanted without working for it.

It isn't always the parents. My brother and I were brought up the same way, he has been in trouble with the police LOADS. I haven't. The issue is that he needed a different kind of education that simply isn't catered for unless you can pay for it. He then got frustrated and did things that he shouldn't have. It is hard for young kids to respect any kind of authority when their first experience of it at school is a bad one for them.

And it is punishing the poor. If they get evicted and can't afford to rent privately, what other option is there?

I just don't see how making a whole load of people homeless is going to solve anything.

It isn't always the parents. My brother and I were brought up the same way, he has been in trouble with the police LOADS. I haven't. The issue is that he needed a different kind of education that simply isn't catered for unless you can pay for it. He then got frustrated and did things that he shouldn't have. It is hard for young kids to respect any kind of authority when their first experience of it at school is a bad one for them.

And it is punishing the poor. If they get evicted and can't afford to rent privately, what other option is there?

They will just get moved on to the next council so that its someone elses problem.
Thats why we got stuck with so many scum where I used to live (it became the dumping ground for ASBO's) and we ended up moving.
Even the place I live in now the old tennant got evicted anti social reasons and her and her 4 kids just got moved to the next town to a 4 bed house

And it is because of the oppressive state we are in at the moment in my opinion. If there wasn't so much political crap with public sector cuts, benefit cuts, the credit crunch, being sent to fight someone else's war, a government we didn't vote in by majority, many other things... We wouldn't have a generation that is facing a pretty tough time. There are no prospects, those that may do well can't afford to go to university. It makes me SO mad. We are fed lies through the media. The best way I can sum it up is...

'If we are not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed and loving the people that are doing the oppressing' Malcolm X

I realise my views are not typical, but they are just my opinion from looking into the reasons for our laws.

Yes kick them out BUT if the rioter was under 18 then the rioter and responsible guardians (which would pretty much mean the family). If over 18 then just the rioter. That person can struggle on private renting housing like the rest of us, they would still be entitled to housing benefit to help pay for it but would lose the right to cheap housing, so life would not be quite so easy.

If they dont agree they would of read the agreement that was signed, and/or parents should of shown them the agreeement once they became an adult. Private landlords have the right to evict if you conduct illegal operations/are convicted etc etc so why should the countil not be able to as well

I just don't think it's right some of these people have younger children, which means they will have children on the streets. In fact the children would be removed as they don't have appropriate accomodation. Yes some parents are to blame but like I said not all are, they are their parental guradians but sometimes it can ber near impossible to control and out of control teenager. And there just isn't the services to support them in doing this x

I stand by what I think, I would lose this privately rented house in a heartbeat if one of us was involved so why should it be any different

Yeah If i was to do stuff not even that bad my landlord could kick me out so why should it be any different just because they are in social housing? That will just put even more a divide between "us and them" as some people already see it.. You can tell the second someone asks me where I live and I say a 2bed house they go straight to oh council! So I correct er No Privately rented thanks! So all keeping people like this is doing is making the council tennant stereotype passed onto more and more people which is not fair for those who are good people living in council houses!

What I'm saying is it's not always the parents fault, some children really are out of control and some parents really are trying their best. So this society punishes people for trying their best? I have seen frst hand how some parents struggle to control their children and sometimes SS are involved supporting them (which means the parents are asking for help) No one circumstance is the same, no one family is the same therefore the punishment shouldn't be a blanket punishment. It should depend on individual circumtances x

Its definitely not always the parents fault. I have 4 older brothers, my parents raised us all the same (although the 3 oldest were adopted as young children so obviously my parents didn't raise them as babies/toddlers) and the two middle ones were always in trouble whereas the oldest one has done well for himself. They had to kick my second oldest brother out of the home when he was 16 and they called the police on the 3rd oldest at least once. They tried their best but it was just in their nature as teenagers to behave that way.

I don't know how an 11 year old can be let to become 'out of control' :\ Not even a teen yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->