should rioters families be evicted?

I would have said the same a year ago but in this year during my nursing I am no longer shocked. I have cared for a child that threatened their mum with a knife and then in hospital they had me against a wall while holding a pair of scissors. The child was 10, this mum was distraught and their was a heavy SS involvement not because of the the mothers parenting but because of the childs violent mood swings. Children arn't how they used to be and some really do go off the rails at a very young age x

Well to me it makes no difference, allowances are not made for private tenants, landlords are well within their rights to evict people that break the law regardless of the history or background so why should it be different for social housing tenants. I agree with Blah, I do not see how an 11 year old is able to run riot without the parents knowing about it, who would let their 11 year old out in rioting areas and not know where they are?

See I can say as a hellish 11-15year old I was how I was at those ages because I could because no one gave me rules I was allowed to be out till when ever I wanted and no one ever tried to to stop me, It started with me saying Id be back in 10mins and tuning up 30mins later with no punishment and grew and grew and grew untill I moved in with an Ex oh at 14, Then moved back to my parents at 15 and met current Oh

I would have said the same a year ago but in this year during my nursing I am no longer shocked. I have cared for a child that threatened their mum with a knife and then in hospital they had me against a wall while holding a pair of scissors. The child was 10, this mum was distraught and their was a heavy SS involvement not because of the the mothers parenting but because of the childs violent mood swings. Children arn't how they used to be and some really do go off the rails at a very young age x

Mental illness aside.

He didn't have a mental health illness he was assessed by the phyc there and then, he just had serious behvioural difficulties that the mother was struggling to handel x

And it is because of the oppressive state we are in at the moment in my opinion. If there wasn't so much political crap with public sector cuts, benefit cuts, the credit crunch, being sent to fight someone else's war, a government we didn't vote in by majority, many other things... We wouldn't have a generation that is facing a pretty tough time. There are no prospects, those that may do well can't afford to go to university. It makes me SO mad. We are fed lies through the media. The best way I can sum it up is...

'If we are not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed and loving the people that are doing the oppressing' Malcolm X

I realise my views are not typical, but they are just my opinion from looking into the reasons for our laws.

I am with you hon. I don't see the sense in reactionary things that may appease the anger many people feel about this whole thing but completely miss the point and end up exacerbating underlying issues.

This article https://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/16/evict-rioters-families?mobile-redirect=false pretty much says it xx

That article said exactly what I think.

And these quotes from MPs about rioters:

MP Gerald Kaufman: 'I condemn the naked greed of these criminals and their taking advantage of their pampered and privileged opportunities ..' £43,564 expenses including four grapefruit bowls at £540

MP David Wilshire: 'My honourable friend has hit the nail on the head. This is not about ideology, it's sheer naked greed...' £160,532 expenses including £100k on a flat 15 miles from main home.

Yet someone is jailed for 6 months for stealing WATER and may also lose their home? Is that really fair?

No they shouldn't be able to. I disagree with the way the riots panned out but happy, well educated people don't riot. The last few weeks has shown that some serious changes.are needed in our society. This is a way of punishing the poor yet again. What about the people that were rioting that aren't in council housing? They won't end up homeless.with nowhere else to go with young children in tow. It will make the rich/poor divide worse and events.like these are then more likely to happen again.

I am actually sickened at the amount of racist/bigoted/pro capital punishment comments I've heard on the news and from my friends and read on Facebook.

Yes, a lot of the rioters were completely out of order. But the world is waking up to the oppression and lies from our governments and there will be varying ways people rebel against them. It is happening everywhere.

In a way I'm glad it has riled the powers that be. Maybe next time our taxes are used for MPs' moats, bird baths and personal holidays, or we are sent to war over something that is none of our business more people will stand up and shout about it. They are far worse crimes in my book and there has been very little consequence for those involved.

Whoops! Didn't mean to rant quite so much there :)

This wasn't political and to think it was is IMO niave. It was an excuse for thugs to vandalise and be violent and an excuse for oppurtunists to get a new TV or pair of trainers. The riots in Egypt were political. The G8 riots were political. This, was not.

I actually believe it's naive to think this wasn't political actually. Does this behaviour really demonstrate that our society is functioning as it should? It seems if you agree this was political people believe you think that every one of those people went out to protest - that isn't what I (and many others) believe. The point is that whilst they may not have been actively protesting, the fact that they behaved in that way in the first place is what highlights huge flaws in our society.

Of course many of these people were opportunists, and of course there were disgusting criminal acts of violence, but there were also many people who simply have nothing to lose and a lot to feel angry about. Our society IS letting people down and there is a lot of tension because of this.

Also when it comes to the children involved, we know NOTHING about their backgrounds. I hate the fact that people are so ready to blame bad parenting. How do you know these children have parents playing active roles in their life and aren't in foster care? How do you know they aren't in a care home? I think it's best to keep an open mind when we don't know the facts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->