Should Scotland be independant?

^ whats your reasons?

i'm no politician, so my reasons are only what i see and that is.. how mugged off most English people feel, weather or not this is "technically" correct it is how people feel... in the same year that Scotland has its prescription fee scraped ours went up

no uni fees etc i'm sure there are more reasons people feel hard done by but i can't think right now :p x

also the readily available NHS tests that are not available to english

I think the UK would struggle without the Scottish, Aberdeen is one second most expensive place to live in the UK after London, Scotland is very influenced by the oil industry and Whiskey industry, farming brings in huge wealth too.

I have worked for councils in Wales and Scotland and Scotlands budget was less per person. It always seem they did a lot more with the money, its hard to compare really but it seemed that away, it just seemed that Scotland wasted less and people respected it more. In fairness i lived there for only a few years and only in a small area so its hard to generalise.

As for persecriptions, Wales have had them free for years and years, at least 5, prob more like 7. When we were in Scotland perscriptions still had fees. you had free eye tests in Scotland though.

Devolved powers are the reason for most of the differences. Free prescriptions, no uni fees and so on only happen because these are develoved powers. For example, education is develoved and our school system has always been different. The Government here chose to put money into health and education as a priority and it is what the population voted for. Personally I think there is something to be proud of that our Government are able to recognise the importance of free higher education.

Rhi-Rhi1, most Scots felt pretty 'mugged off' when the Poll Tax was introduced here before it was in England. It is not a one way street.

We are still giving them money but they have their own parliament and they also have their own laws so yes they should be independant.

The Barnett formula says it all really. For me anyway.

But we pay for those uni fees :S .. so really we still contribute tax money to stuff we have no benefit from.. its a raw deal if you ask me.... like i say my knowledge is weak and i was only pointing out why i THINK people want to leave, there are obviously far greater reasons that i don't understand i only know what i hear people whining about lol x

A recent report actually showed that Scotland pays more in tax than england

North Sea revenues in the coming year are estimated to be £13.4 billion. This is not small change.

I def dont think England are supporting Scotland, more the other way round.

As a Welsh person living in Wales, i think its probably fair to say that Englad does support Wales, I mean there is much less indusry here and mass unemployment.

Scotland was barely affected by the recession, if it wasnt part of the UK it may well have escaped its complelely, except for the fact cities like Aberdeen invested in forgien banks.

my oh was a very proud scots man and he would of loved to see scotland be independant

Most of my OHs family would (all scottish), i think my OH sits on the fence a bit, we keep saying I hope it happens soon, then we can see how it works out and if its good we will move back lol!

I think Scotland should be independent.
Scotland uses the money they are given more wisely, under devolution they get a fixed budget but can decide how it is spent. If they spend more on health or education then they have to spend less on other things. Scotland being a small country regards education as one of the top priorities, and it always has been...
Scotland bring in it's own money too, and pay taxes - I don't get how people assume England pay for it all - Scotland is one of the few regions in the UK who make as much revenue as they spend. x

What about when the oil runs out, what will be the source of income? I personally think that they should be an independant country, my ex bf was originally from loch lomond (lovely place), we had this convo and he thought that scotland would struggle independantly as where he is from there is a lack of jobs so people heavily depended on benefits. But surely that can't be said for every place in scotland.

I don't know anyone who has been made redundant up here :shrug: I live in Edinburgh. There are loads of jobs.

My hubby was Blah! His job was not really Scotland based although his office was here though- his redundancy was due to the worldwide crash and nothing to do with Scotland's economy.

I don't know anyone who has been made redundant up here :shrug: I live in Edinburgh. There are loads of jobs.

yeah i dont know anyone either, infact it seemed mega easy to get jobs, i didnt have a problem and my friend is forever changing jobs. lol!

there was talk about some council workers losing their jobs, but nothing happened.

Scotland currently has lower unemployment than the rest of the UK. The SNP are saying it's due to them, and maybe it is???

My hubby was Blah! His job was not really Scotland based although his office was here though- his redundancy was due to the worldwide crash and nothing to do with Scotland's economy.

I told a lie - my dad was LOL but nothing to do with recession. He worked for scottish and newcastle and they were relocating to nottingham and my dad didn't want to go so took a redundancy package instead. He got a new job within 4 months though and he's over 50 :shrug: idk, i dont think theres a job shortage here at all.

Scotland currently has lower unemployment than the rest of the UK. The SNP are saying it's due to them, and maybe it is???

David cameron does find unemployment rates 'disappointing' though :(

:dohh: twat.

I told a lie - my dad was LOL but nothing to do with recession. He worked for scottish and newcastle and they were relocating to nottingham and my dad didn't want to go so took a redundancy package instead. He got a new job within 4 months though and he's over 50 :shrug: idk, i dont think theres a job shortage here at all.

Similarish here. His job now based in Saudi which was not a move we wanted as a family but he had another one is same field before made redundant. There have been a lot of job losses in the financial sector but all the people I know in this field have kept their jobs and there are still a reasonable amount of vacancies. What is happening is that people are staying in the same job rather than moving around as there are not so many vacancies as such around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->